OP

bmrylnd5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
@sugoispec
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT/CS
Yeah I was trying to follow that thread as well. I'm following the instructions the #4 reply mentioned even though my strut currently looks like #3 reply.

I tried to get my notch to match the ford sheet, but I can't get it straight and have the bolts line up with the holes. If I can't figure it out today I'll call ford performance tomorrow since they're closed right now.
Sponsored

racingandfishing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Yeah I was trying to follow that thread as well. I'm following the instructions the #4 reply mentioned even though my strut currently looks like #3 reply.

I tried to get my notch to match the ford sheet, but I can't get it straight and have the bolts line up with the holes. If I can't figure it out today I'll call ford performance tomorrow since they're closed right now.
I believe the original post with the pic below is correct and number 3 is not correct and how mine were originally installed. This is how mine are now with both notches facing the engine.

Either way, please post what Ford Performance says tomorrow so we can all be clear on the topic!

1600038343626.png

"This is the diagram that @aleccolin posted in other thread but looks like some peoples' cars didn't come this way from the factory."

OP
OP

bmrylnd5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
@sugoispec
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT/CS
Yeah mine came actually like this
Rear
| engine |
Front
from the factory (notches parallel with engine)

OP
OP

bmrylnd5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
@sugoispec
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT/CS
Ok I finally understand it now after re-reading that post you sent me. The notch I was looking at was the wrong notch, the real notch is on edge of the top hat:

1600044113483.png

Apparently I missed that little red circle on the OP's post....definitely could've saved me a lot of headache if FRPP just put a diagram of what notch they mean :/

TL;DR this diagram is correct and those middle 2 notches should be orientated this way.

Also...my factory notches were way off :(

OP
OP

bmrylnd5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
@sugoispec
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT/CS
Another thing I've tried and had great success with for knocking out those splined bolts (for anyone else that's doing this) is using a ball joint press to press the spline out instead of hammer. Kinda a bitch to set-up, but once it gets going it's just a few turns before the bolt pops out.

Figured since you most likely have one if you're doing this, it beats using a hammer.

Sponsored

racingandfishing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Ok I finally understand it now after re-reading that post you sent me. The notch I was looking at was the wrong notch, the real notch is on edge of the top hat:

1600044113483.png

Apparently I missed that little red circle on the OP's post....definitely could've saved me a lot of headache if FRPP just put a diagram of what notch they mean :/

TL;DR this diagram is correct and those middle 2 notches should be orientated this way.

Also...my factory notches were way off :(
Yeah, sorry about that, I should have highlighted the notch I was talking about! And yes, the instructions are less than specific. Though when I did mine a few years ago, I couldn't find any install videos that provided clarification and I think even some of the ones produced by companies selling these parts may have installed them wrong.

OP
OP

bmrylnd5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
@sugoispec
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT/CS
Yeah, sorry about that, I should have highlighted the notch I was talking about! And yes, the instructions are less than specific. Though when I did mine a few years ago, I couldn't find any install videos that provided clarification and I think even some of the ones produced by companies selling these parts may have installed them wrong.
Yeah the only video that even highlighted it was LMR, but wasn't helpful as they didn't specify or show anything but the Ford diagram. Hopefully this post will help people out; whenever I end up finishing this install, I'll probably do a lesson learned type of wrap-up to help future installers.

racingandfishing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Yeah the only video that even highlighted it was LMR, but wasn't helpful as they didn't specify or show anything but the Ford diagram. Hopefully this post will help people out; whenever I end up finishing this install, I'll probably do a lesson learned type of wrap-up to help future installers.
That would be great and I am still thinking about installing the track pack vs. individual components from various manufacturers. Would like to hear how you like it!

thornclaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Last edited:
OP
OP

bmrylnd5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
@sugoispec
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT/CS
FRPP tech said I should have those notches pointed toward the engine bay as it affects camber - I have to undo my driver side and rotate the top hat ugh.

Sponsored
OP
OP

bmrylnd5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
@sugoispec
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT/CS

racingandfishing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
FRPP tech said I should have those notches pointed toward the engine bay as it affects camber - I have to undo my driver side and rotate the top hat ugh.
Yup did the same thing . Installed it the same way it came off, which was obviously wrong. If I recall, I only had to undo the three nuts on top and the sway bar linkage and was then able to pull it down enough to rotate it.

OP
OP

bmrylnd5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
@sugoispec
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT/CS
ah good to know I don't have to take off EVERYTHING again especially since its all torqued down.

Crowd Hunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
$hitbox
I could be wrong, but I don't believe how the upper notches face are what the instructions are referring to. I believe it is the ones in that photo I posted. I have them installed with the underside notches facing the engine, and the upper ones point differently on the passenger and driver side.

As far as consequence, not sure what they might be if they are wrong, but guessing it has to do with camber. I didn't notice any difference when one faced in and one faced out vs. both facing in, but I haven't tracked the car either.

Of course I could be wrong about all of this! I would chat with Ford Performance tomorrow and see what they say. Maybe I misunderstood them when I was installing my springs.

The notch they are referring to is this one:

strut.png