Aggressive Fitment Thread

Taylor18GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Performance Pack Level 1
Finally got everything installed and dialed in.
20x10.5 +45 Square Velgen VMB5 w/ 16mm spacer up front (yes you read that correctly)
ARP Front Wheel Studs
295/30/20 Bridgestone Potenza
Fortune Auto Coilovers
E8B7DDEC-0086-4E6C-8EAF-74280C6404BD.jpeg
Sponsored

Max Rips

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT Premium PP1
Finally got everything installed and dialed in.
20x10.5 +45 Square Velgen VMB5 w/ 16mm spacer up front (yes you read that correctly)
ARP Front Wheel Studs
295/30/20 Bridgestone Potenza
Fortune Auto Coilovers
E8B7DDEC-0086-4E6C-8EAF-74280C6404BD.jpeg
Yesss! It's like I am looking at my car but with other wheels. lol Was such a thick spacer necessary to clear the coilovers? Wouldn't 10mm clear? What's the camber on the front? What about a taller tire - would that clear the coilovers? I wish you did some photos from the inside to see these tight clearances.

another important question is the ride quality.

Last edited:

kai20035

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter Who
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT
heres my new setup. ESR SR07 18x10.5 et22, and 18x9.5 et22, with a 6mm spacer. tires are federal SS595 275 40, and 255 40. I absolutely love how these fit. could have probably used a little less offset up front, but they are pretty close to flush. but overall, I love how it looks. there is some poke out back, but 0 rubbing. this is on pro kits. I was thinking of going lower, but in person it looks pretty damn good, and this is literally my commuter car lol to me this staggered look just really fits the body lines well. im loving it
20170218_172022.jpg
20170218_172109.jpg
20170218_172221.jpg
20170218_173340.jpg
20170218_173348.jpg
20170218_173419.jpg
20170218_173518.jpg
16730546_1408567232496627_218002573327195976_n.jpg
16806827_1408567199163297_6319750170172683941_n.jpg
Nice looking wheels and got my ESR CS15's about a month back but was undecided on getting the 19X10.5's ET22 because I was afraid of the poke! Did you make any changes to the rear end like camber adjustments or anything or is that how it would poke out just like it was stock? Right now I got a squared setup with 19X9.5 ET35 running 285/35/19's all around. BTW is that like a 3/4 inch poke on those rears and with the 22 offset did you have room to go wider or was 275 the max you could go with ET22? Attached are the 19X10.5's I really want with the 3.65 inch lip as mine are just 2 inch lip...

s-l1600 (11).jpg

Last edited:

Sponsored

Taylor18GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Vehicle(s)
Yesss! It's like I am looking at my car but with other wheels. lol Was such a thick spacer necessary to clear the coilovers? Wouldn't 10mm clear? What's the camber on the front? What about a taller tire - would that clear the coilovers? I wish you did some photos from the inside to see these tight clearances.

another important question is the ride quality.
When we first installed the Coilovers in the air, the tire wouldn’t fit, wouldn’t even sit flush on the hub. So we threw all the shop spacers at it we had laying around until it fit. Once we put it on the ground we realized it was lowered almost 4” and completely useless. Before the spacers it was hitting the upper lock ring near the spring. After setting the ride height I’d say I would have been fine with a single 5mm or 8mm spacer. Currently the car is 26.9” ground to top of fender arch on all 4 corners. I left the spacers because I honestly like the fitment. I could probably go down another 1/4” in front with all the room I have. However, I still need to have it aligned and getting rid of the camber is going to bring the tire closer to the fender. I’m planning on running -2 or -2.2 up front and -1.8 rear.

I’ve had 3 lowered s197s. One on Ford Racing shocks/struts and Sportline springs. My track/autocross car on ST-XTA Coilovers with tons of aftermarket goodies, and a for fun car slammed on BC racing BR series. I’m not joking when I say these Fortunes are the best riding coilover ive had out of all my setups. My brother and I noticed it right away. It feels way better than stock at my current settings over bumps and harsh street driving. I have no data on track performance yet. The build quality of these are insane and for the price, you get a digressive valve setup which is great tech to have. Retail for these is about 1500 but I can get them for right around 1100.

what front camber did you set? 500 or 510 series? Is it correct that you can't adjust camber on-car with their 'camber plates'?
I’m awaiting my alignment. A rough garage estimate tells me I’m at -3 or more up front. I plan to be around -2 to -2.2F and -1.8R if I can get there.

I used the Vorshlag design to modify my strut towers so it’s adjustable. Eventually I plan to have a street and autocross setting.

856BC557-C94D-4F60-B99F-C4231D5B1E89.jpeg

Last edited:

Taylor18GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Vehicle(s)

Max Rips

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT Premium PP1
When we first installed the Coilovers in the air, the tire wouldn’t fit, wouldn’t even sit flush on the hub. So we threw all the shop spacers at it we had laying around until it fit. Once we put it on the ground we realized it was lowered almost 4” and completely useless. Before the spacers it was hitting the upper lock ring near the spring. After setting the ride height I’d say I would have been fine with a single 5mm or 8mm spacer. Currently the car is 26.9” ground to top of fender arch on all 4 corners. I left the spacers because I honestly like the fitment. I could probably go down another 1/4” in front with all the room I have. However, I still need to have it aligned and getting rid of the camber is going to bring the tire closer to the fender. I’m planning on running -2 or -2.2 up front and -1.8 rear.

I’ve had 3 lowered s197s. One on Ford Racing shocks/struts and Sportline springs. My track/autocross car on ST-XTA Coilovers with tons of aftermarket goodies, and a for fun car slammed on BC racing BR series. I’m not joking when I say these Fortunes are the best riding coilover ive had out of all my setups. My brother and I noticed it right away. It feels way better than stock at my current settings over bumps and harsh street driving. I have no data on track performance yet. The build quality of these are insane and for the price, you get a digressive valve setup which is great tech to have. Retail for these is about 1500 but I can get them for right around 1100.
You gave me hope with the 5mm spacer. I suppose you got the 500 series coilovers? Did you get it with the default springs? It's 10k front and 12k rear. How harsh is the ride compared to what you had before on the car? Is the 1100 price a one-time deal or you can replicate it?

Didn't know that Vorshlag cutting thing existed and having to take off coilovers to adjust the camber really bothered me. Now I know there's a solution. Thanks for that.

Is this yours? It looks plenty low man! It looks good!
Yeah that's mine. There's a gap in the front that I hate. I want it to have no gap at all same as the rears. And the worst part that the other front side is even higher.

Taylor18GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Vehicle(s)
You gave me hope with the 5mm spacer. I suppose you got the 500 series coilovers? Did you get it with the default springs? It's 10k front and 12k rear. How harsh is the ride compared to what you had before on the car? Is the 1100 price a one-time deal or you can replicate it?

Didn't know that Vorshlag cutting thing existed and having to take off coilovers to adjust the camber really bothered me. Now I know there's a solution. Thanks for that.

Yeah that's mine. There's a gap in the front that I hate. I want it to have no gap at all same as the rears. And the worst part that the other front side is even higher.
Yes, with the new gen of 500 series coilovers, you get the digressive valving which is a huge advantage. The build materials and "beefiness" of the units are far superior to the ST XTAs and BCs (and I'm a huge fan of BCs for pure enthusiasts who don't plan to race and just want low). But yes, to directly answer your question these are the 500 series, swift springs, 10kF/12kR. I have the dampers currently set 4-5 clicks off soft. I as well as the rest of the guys who've rode in the car feel the ride is at least equal to stock if not somewhat improved when it comes to hitting bumps. The stock PP struts felts like a log wagon to me. I'm sure that has to do with me having them almost all the way soft which I don't intend to keep it that way. The rest of the suspension feel isn't getting a fair assessment because my toe is out of wack and I can feel it fighting. I believe I can get you that deal anytime. I'm friends with a guy who owns a Subaru/Focus RS/ST/EVO parts company and any vendor he has that also sells Mustang parts he's willing to cut a good deal on. He orders a lot of parts for the Rally team as well.

I would highly recommend at least the Steeda strut tower cutting kit. Its a bit easier to use than Vorshlag's write up option which requires fabricating a plate. I didn't want to wait on Steedas cutting tool to come in so I fabbed up my own solution. Its impossible to just use a hole saw as it dances around too much, you need something to drill into or a guide. I'd also reccomend buying a cheap corded drill from Harbor Freight to use. You'll kill an 18v quick.

https://www.steeda.com/steeda-555-8...MIprnX89Ho7wIVPvDjBx21xwzKEAQYASABEgLM0vD_BwE

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Its impossible to just use a hole saw as it dances around too much, you need something to drill into or a guide.
I use a hunk of Delrin I turn on my lathe as the centering guide.

Sponsored

Taylor18GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Vehicle(s)
I use a hunk of Delrin I turn on my lathe as the centering guide.
Yep thats essentially Steedas model. I used a wood closet rod that I made to fit and use it. It was less than ideal but got the job done.

Max Rips

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT Premium PP1
Yes, with the new gen of 500 series coilovers, you get the digressive valving which is a huge advantage. The build materials and "beefiness" of the units are far superior to the ST XTAs and BCs (and I'm a huge fan of BCs for pure enthusiasts who don't plan to race and just want low). But yes, to directly answer your question these are the 500 series, swift springs, 10kF/12kR. I have the dampers currently set 4-5 clicks off soft. I as well as the rest of the guys who've rode in the car feel the ride is at least equal to stock if not somewhat improved when it comes to hitting bumps. The stock PP struts felts like a log wagon to me. I'm sure that has to do with me having them almost all the way soft which I don't intend to keep it that way. The rest of the suspension feel isn't getting a fair assessment because my toe is out of wack and I can feel it fighting. I believe I can get you that deal anytime. I'm friends with a guy who owns a Subaru/Focus RS/ST/EVO parts company and any vendor he has that also sells Mustang parts he's willing to cut a good deal on. He orders a lot of parts for the Rally team as well.

I would highly recommend at least the Steeda strut tower cutting kit. Its a bit easier to use than Vorshlag's write up option which requires fabricating a plate. I didn't want to wait on Steedas cutting tool to come in so I fabbed up my own solution. Its impossible to just use a hole saw as it dances around too much, you need something to drill into or a guide. I'd also reccomend buying a cheap corded drill from Harbor Freight to use. You'll kill an 18v quick.

https://www.steeda.com/steeda-555-8...MIprnX89Ho7wIVPvDjBx21xwzKEAQYASABEgLM0vD_BwE
I don't think you need to fabricate anything for the Vorshlag version. You use a drill bit to center the drill with this hole.

Focus RS (3rd gen) Strut Tower Cutting Fixture (Tool) - Vorshlag - Brave_210406085545.png

S550 Strut Tower Clearancing - vorshlag - Brave_210406085852.png

I just read about the digressive pistons in the coilovers and they say they don't go well with small bumps and imperfections on the road as they respond very stiff at the initial compression. How are yours on small bumps?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
they say they don't go well with small bumps and imperfections on the road as they respond very stiff at the initial compression.
small bumps are the domain of the tire sidewall. A digressive piston is generally a good idea in the compression direction because you want it to blow off. But of course you can preload the shim stack too much such that slow-compression to overdamped and small/med bumps are also not enough to adequately flow.

Unfortunately the dyno graphs FA posts are not 'real' in that they do not reflect what the S550 units have been dyno'd at.

Taylor18GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Vehicle(s)
I don't think you need to fabricate anything for the Vorshlag version. You use a drill bit to center the drill with this hole.

I just read about the digressive pistons in the coilovers and they say they don't go well with small bumps and imperfections on the road as they respond very stiff at the initial compression. How are yours on small bumps?
Yeah, I didn't have the time or patience to purchase and order the kits since my coilovers were already here and we were in the middle of the install. I had a buddy who could have CNC'd a plate for me, but it seemed easier with what I had in the shop to use Steeda's design to make my own. Either will work fine, my guess is the Vorshlag option would have been a LOT easier and more precision. But the job is done.

Its funny you say that, I put some more miles on the car today and definitely noticed that on streets or highways where there are a lot of cracks and patches I can feel them more and the NVM from some of the coilover components makes it more audible (I haven't had a set of coilovers yet that don't increase NVH at some level, even my buddies ASTs). I still stand by my word that overall the ride is more comfortable than the stock PP stuff from a daily perspective but again thats the damper adjustment. I will be stiffening them up a bit as on those roads with a lot of cracks and pothole patches I felt the front end float and bounce a lot, almost nauseating lol

small bumps are the domain of the tire sidewall. A digressive piston is generally a good idea in the compression direction because you want it to blow off. But of course you can preload the shim stack too much such that slow-compression to overdamped and small/med bumps are also not enough to adequately flow.

Unfortunately the dyno graphs FA posts are not 'real' in that they do not reflect what the S550 units have been dyno'd at.
Yeah, I'm by no means as smart as a lot of the members on here. My experience and "knowledge" is only based on my reviews of the many suspension setups I've had across 7+ Mustangs on 3 different chassis and a lot of reading from the suspension nerds on these forums and some of the autox forums I'm on. I've gone to the depths of learning some of this stuff years ago when I was competitively racing my S197. This S550 will forever be a fun build for me thats "race inspired" but is just a fair weather car that I enjoy with my wife/kids. I was more concerned about buying a coilover kit that allowed me to achieve the ride height that I want (i'm picky with stance), built with quality parts, rebuildable, and with a better ride than some of the "bargain" coilovers out there. My good buddy runs their 510s on his 700hp EVO AutoX car and also on his rally car. So they proved to me to be sturdy units. I think the FA's achieved my personal needs but they might not be for everyone.

Last edited:

Max Rips

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT Premium PP1
Yeah, I didn't have the time or patience to purchase and order the kits since my coilovers were already here and we were in the middle of the install. I had a buddy who could have CNC'd a plate for me, but it seemed easier with what I had in the shop to use Steeda's design to make my own. Either will work fine, my guess is the Vorshlag option would have been a LOT easier and more precision. But the job is done.

Its funny you say that, I put some more miles on the car today and definitely noticed that on streets or highways where there are a lot of cracks and patches I can feel them more and the NVM from some of the coilover components makes it more audible (I haven't had a set of coilovers yet that don't increase NVH at some level, even my buddies ASTs). I still stand by my word that overall the ride is more comfortable than the stock PP stuff from a daily perspective but again thats the damper adjustment. I will be stiffening them up a bit as on those roads with a lot of cracks and pothole patches I felt the front end float and bounce a lot, almost nauseating lol

Yeah, I'm by no means as smart as a lot of the members on here. My experience and "knowledge" is only based on my reviews of the many suspension setups I've had across 7+ Mustangs on 3 different chassis and a lot of reading from the suspension nerds on these forums and some of the autox forums I'm on. I've gone to the depths of learning some of this stuff years ago when I was competitively racing my S197. This S550 will forever be a fun build for me thats "race inspired" but is just a fair weather car that I enjoy with my wife/kids. I was more concerned about buying a coilover kit that allowed me to achieve the ride height that I want (i'm picky with stance), built with quality parts, rebuildable, and with a better ride than some of the "bargain" coilovers out there. My good buddy runs their 510s on his 700hp EVO AutoX car and also on his rally car. So they proved to me to be sturdy units. I think the FA's achieved my personal needs but they might not be for everyone.
I am still waiting for a reply from them on the Air piston lift system for S550. With the height I wanna go I won't clear my driveway without the air piston kit.
Sponsored