Sponsored

Aftermarket Cold Air Intake over Stock really worth it?

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT500 '19 GT PP1 '13 GT500, 98 GT, 92 LX 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
As long as you don't plan on running a flex tune... the maf turbulence was off the charts due to design.
Good to know.

As in E85/93 octane in combo? Still learning about the types of tunes.
Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I would enjoy being educated on that. I thought the added stiffness is what they would want?
This is a purpose built race car. The stiffness is built in and these components just add addition weight. Which, is course, a no no in a race car.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
OK, so an aftermarket no-tune-required CAI won't give you any increase in performance, especially if you already have a 2018+ OEM intake, which is as good as it gets.
But what about the sound?
I find the sound of the Coyote a bit tame. The exhaust is one thing, but the engine itself, the noise that comes from under the hood rather than from the tailpipes, isn't overly impressive. Will an open intake make it sound more "burbly"? And if so, under which circumstances? Idle, part throttle, WOT...?

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
OK, so an aftermarket no-tune-required CAI won't give you any increase in performance, especially if you already have a 2018+ OEM intake, which is as good as it gets.
But what about the sound?
I find the sound of the Coyote a bit tame. The exhaust is one thing, but the engine itself, the noise that comes from under the hood rather than from the tailpipes, isn't overly impressive. Will an open intake make it sound more "burbly"? And if so, under which circumstances? Idle, part throttle, WOT...?
Open intake will change the sound but also change iats as they will be much higher.

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 18 10speed auto PP1 , GT500 '21
Not hijack. But...

I have been watching your videos. It's great watching your progression with the car and racing.

How modified is your motor? I am not familiar with the racing classes.
Thanks man.
I just have e85 cai. Headers and catback. Considering now a more aggressive cams. If well tuned could gain 20whp. We will see. I can't really add too much anyway otherwise i bump up category.
(Weight to power ratio)

Sponsored

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
OK, so an aftermarket no-tune-required CAI won't give you any increase in performance
Most pass over the fact that PMAS includes a recalibrated MAF sensor that has the proper transfer functions without a need to tune the ECU for the 120mm housing.
I understand the arguments over IAT's but putting that aside No One in the industry offers a recalibrated sensor with a MAF housing larger than stock.

Personally, Steeda's closed box is the best concept to date but they blew it with the MAF housing size and shape. Had they designed the closed lid to match the geometry of the OEM MAF housing within a range somewhere between 115mm to 120mm we'd all be saving a bunch of bandwidth for other topics.
Steeda should design and market a closed box that taxes the limits of a panel filter and not the MAF sensor reading that also works with E85, Flex or mothballs mixed in gasoline..... LOL

Last edited:

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Most pass over the fact that PMAS includes a recalibrated MAF sensor that has the proper transfer functions without a need to tune the ECU for the 120mm housing.
I understand the arguments over IAT's but putting that aside No One in the industry offers a recalibrated sensor with a MAF housing larger than stock.

Personally I think Steeda's closed box is the best concept to date but they blew it with the MAF housing size and shape. Had they designed the closed lid to match the OEM geometry MAF housing within a range somewhere between 115mm to 120mm we'd all be saving a bunch of bandwidth for other topics.
Steeda should market a closed box that taxes the limits of a panel filter and not the MAF sensor reading that also works with E85, Flex or mothballs..... LOL
Thanks. Very well said and informative.

larr12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alberto
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang PP1

Personally I think Steeda's closed box is the best concept to date but they blew it with the MAF housing size and shape. Had they designed the closed lid to match the OEM geometry MAF housing within a range somewhere between 115mm to 120mm we'd all be saving a bunch of bandwidth for other topics.
Steeda should market a closed box that taxes the limits of a panel filter and not the MAF sensor reading that also works with E85, Flex or mothballs..... LOL
According to Alejandro Flores from Lund, PMAS CAI provides the best data for tuning.

MIDLYFE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
I bought my CAI strictly for the under hood bling factor. No different than buying a different coolant overflow tank, etc.
Roush CAI.jpg
In what way has the sound changed if you don't mind me asking?

Sponsored

Prefo20

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 and 2022 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
I know this horse probably been beat to death but just wanted others opinion before I pull the trigger. Are Aftermarket Cold Air Intakes really that much better over stock CAI and a good K&N? Some CAI's claim 10+ HP gains.
I have a 2020 GT without the performance pack, so I had the Ford dealer install the performance upgrade which includes the cold air intake. I love it and I'm glad I did it.

Last edited:

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2020 GT without the performance pack, so I had the Ford dealer install the performance pack which includes the cold air intake. I love it and I'm glad I did it.
Performance from the factory refers to Performance Pack 1 suspension and brakes, wheels etc..

The performance pack you had installed was likely an ECM tune, mass air flow meter with cold air intake.

The stang dude

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 Auto
It's $1700 CDN plus tax and maybe install too. Not sure it's worth it. For bling sure would look nice with the see through Roush cover but if it doesn't do anything much its a bit much.

Ponyupnow

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mario
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Unless you are making an obnoxiously amount of HP.....nope...not worth it, spend that money on something better like....car insurance or save it for fuel and oils.

BlackMambaGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gord
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
In what way has the sound changed if you don't mind me asking?
I really didn't notice much difference in the intake sound, but it did seem to make my exhaust throatier/deeper sounding. This also could be due to the sound tube removal which is part of the install for this CAI.
Sponsored