Sponsored

Adding quad tips to the Stock premium Valance.

BurnCycle

I drank what?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Hissman,

Big thanks for doing this DIY! Like you I also have the SLP LM2 so making the change was easy (one of the reasons I went with the SLP system). I have the edging on order and will be adding that to finish it off when it arrives. I did cut more to the lines of the body than just around the exhaust. It does leave more of a gap in the upper middle part but I'm not loosing sleep over it.
Quad1.jpg
Quad2.jpg
Quad3.jpg
Sponsored

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
Love this, thanks for posting it up! :like:

I'm doing a lot of exhaust stuff with the newer enforcement out here in CA, trying to not get ref'ed or flagged at the track anymore...

clevernickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Mustang GT, 2016 camaro ss (gfs), 2015 range rover sport, 2013 ford explorer, 2017 WRX
Think roush would sell me just the tips of their quad tips?

BurnCycle

I drank what?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
The offset is wrong if you're planing to modify the valance like seen by Hissman and I above. I looked into them but the '18+ they're designed for have a different center line. You'd have to cut into the painted plastic part of the lower to make it work... Or modify the exhaust/hangers.

Sponsored

canyon ed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ED
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Convertible Premium Auto W/PP1 NVRMADE
Some said that it could not be done!
Some said that I was wanting the impossible!
Some said that they were vegan!!

It was all untrue!

First, I would like to thank [MENTION=32658]N17[/MENTION] for the inspiration.

Total time from start to finish was about an hour. My total investment, since I had the tools and trim piece was around $58.00
tools needed
  • Appropriate sockets size for clamps
  • Socket wrench
  • Dremel with cutting wheel
  • Snips to clean up any rough edges
  • Steel file. To finely clean up the edges
  • Rubber trim piece (See link)
  • Center clanged dual exhaust tips of an appropriate length width and height for what you are looking to achieve.

First, here is a before and after shot.

2zi7tox.jpg

Next up, remove the stock tips.

11jby8h.jpg

This is one of the tips that I am replacing the SLP single tip with. The cost of this tip is $28.99 with shipping and is sized to slip over a 2.5" exhaust. The only issue I had was clamping it down. It had no relief cuts in the tip to allow for the clamps to compress it. So, to fix that I just made a two 1" long and 1/8th" wide slices on the top and bottom of the flange. No big deal, especially considering the quality and price.

LINK to the dual tip
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/jex-jst123/overview/

2vxpoj4.jpg

• Now I lined the tips up as best as possible and placed a few reference marks on the valance where I thought it would be wide enough, making sure to not go too large. You can always remove more material, but you can't add it back.
  • Once I did that, I freehanded the shape with a sharpie, then taped it off. The tape is to help keep you on the right path as it will help guide the cutting wheel.
  • I used 1/8th" wide tape to do the initial outline, then followed up with 1" painters tape to help keep the thinner tape planted.
  • Once I had the first side cut out, I then flipped it over and used it as a template for the other side.

2885lia.jpg

A shot of the trim piece that I used and link to where I found it on Amazon. So far I have driven the car about 40 miles, included about 30 minutes of a standstill traffic jam. There has been zero issues with the trim piece. It should be able to handle north of 250°F of direct contact, and I doubt it will ever see anything close to that.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019CUXPHS/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

21m55cl.jpg

Now install the trim piece and slip the new tip into place for a test fit. If you need to remove any more material, mark it now then remove everything and make careful cuts.

1zptu6f.jpg

Finally,
Enjoy the beauty and compliments that you get.

z1v01.jpg

-Jeff
Do you still have the template?

jjminch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost 6M Base
I’m wondering how this would work on the 18’s. I have stock GT 2018 quad mufflers I want to throw on my 2018 Eco. The quad valence is $250 so naturally I’m thinking of cutting. But it’s not easy to hold up the mufflers for a mock up.

Joe 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Vehicle Showcase
Can anyone link me to tips that will bolt up directly to and fit Roush mufflers and roush valence?

MasterCylinder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(sold)17 GT
I’m wondering how this would work on the 18’s. I have stock GT 2018 quad mufflers I want to throw on my 2018 Eco. The quad valence is $250 so naturally I’m thinking of cutting. But it’s not easy to hold up the mufflers for a mock up.

Probably would work about the same way. The only issue I may see with the diffuser being a bit wider you would end up having to shift the pipes/tips over a bit to make them look correct. No idea how you would get that to work to be honest. You might be best off getting the GT valance instead of spending probably the same amount for having a shop do it.

Sponsored
OP
OP
HISSMAN

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
No template. I just eyeballed it and measured twice and cut once.

canyon ed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ED
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Convertible Premium Auto W/PP1 NVRMADE
Great write-up!

The only thing constructive I have to ad? Watch out for hot flying plastic from the dremel cutting wheel:tsk: from someone who cut on their own stock rear bumper to vent it&ad a custom diffuser, plus opened the upper&lower grilles&side vents. That hot plastic leaves behind nasty little burns and gets literally everywhere. So I wore long sleeves, safety glasses, ear plugs&a breathing mask after the first few minutes:D

Oh yeah and eBay has a crap ton of good looking tips for cheap not just the Chinese stuff either. My rolled edge slash cut burnt 3.5" cost $25.99 shipped for both. And made here in the U.S.:headbang:

Oh and to the op, this is true modding brother:cheers:
Don't forget to resell those good looking stock tips.
Can you post the link?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Ouch - nearly $400 just for TIPS, that’s insane but I’m sure someone will pay that price point.
Cheaper than getting a premium bumper, painting bumper, and Roush valence AND the normal quad tips...
Sponsored