Sponsored

Active Grille Shutter Motor / Install (AGS)

emericA243

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecobeast PP
Hello all,

I've had my AGS removed on my 2016 EB to allow fitment for other mods. I'm now attempting to reinstall it and not sure if im lost a bracket or what. I have the shutters installed but i cannot figure out for the life me how how this motor attached back on in the back. Can anyone provide some insight? Im pretty mechanicaly inclined and can figure this stuff out but unless i lost a bracket or something i cannot find any possibly place where the motor would sit/attach to the back of the shutters.

At a minimum does if anyone can help me find a parts list\diagram \ installation or even can take a picture or two of theirs back behind the grill from the top, would be appreciated.
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
OP
OP

emericA243

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecobeast PP

Thanks, I went through them but couldny get much farther. Here's a video where im stuck.

Kona5.0h

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nicholas
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Gt
Just took mine off the actuator sat inside a bracket

Sponsored

Kona5.0h

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nicholas
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Gt
I have a 20’ looks a bit different in the back. However that bracket that holds the shutters in place. It can be installed upside down and that looks to be your case. Theres a bolt that secures that arm. Which ties together the upper and lower shutters together off one actuator.

Like I said mine looks different it actually has two bolts that get secured into that arm.

OP
OP

emericA243

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecobeast PP
I have a 20’ looks a bit different in the back. However that bracket that holds the shutters in place. It can be installed upside down and that looks to be your case. Theres a bolt that secures that arm. Which ties together the upper and lower shutters together off one actuator.

Like I said mine looks different it actually has two bolts that get secured into that arm.
Haha thank you so much. I literally flipped that connector arm and it all made sense.

linkysys

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Orientation of the connector for upper A shutter to lower B shutter shown below. The lower bolt hole is slotted. The connector has to be detached from the radiator side of the frame in order to pull the part. In order to access this, you need to remove the bottom pan, front bumper cover and the upper plastic trim. It is secured to the frame by 4 bolts and 2 large plastic panel clips.

For anyone tackling this in the future, the 2015-17 have a different shutter design than the 2018-20. I believe the actuator's for the 2018-20 are the same for the Expedition/Explorer and are sold separately. For the 2015-17, you need to buy the entire shutter assembly if your actuator fails.

Does anyone know if the complete 18-20 shutter would work in a 2015-17? Mounting is likely the same but I'm wondering if the wiring harnesses are compatible? My actuator is bad. Since Ford forces me to replace the entire shutter, I'd like to install the 18-20 if compatible so that, in the future, I can replace the actuator separately. Aftermarket shutters are readily available but I'm not sure if any include the internal motor.

Shutter is Ford FR3Z-8475-B (FR3Z-8475-A).
Actuator motor not sold separately FR3B-8476-AA (or FR3B-8476-AB).

Note that Ford parts indicates the shutter doesn't include the actuator and it's not sold separately. I called the dealership and they pulled one off the shelf and confirmed that it does have the motor installed internally. YMMV. Ford parts will refer you to their obsolete parts vendors who will tell you that the part number for the actuator ( FR3B8476AA) has never been in their system.

atuatorlocation.jpg

actuator2.jpg

temperature_control_actuator2.jpg

temperature_control_actuator.jpg

Last edited:

linkysys

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Can anybody confirm if the '18-23 grille shutter can be installed on a '15-17 Mustang? The part appears to have identical mounting. Main difference is the internal actuator on the newer iteration is sold separately in case of failure and is the same part used on F150/Explorer. Previous gen '15-17 shutter incorporates a unique actuator part not sold separately and prone to internal failure. Newer part # JR3Z-8475-F vs FR3Z-8475-B. They appear interchangeable but I have not been able to confirm that the harness/wiring are compatible.
Sponsored

Last edited: