Active grill Shutters

Roger Blose

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 1988 Mustang GT, 2009 Lincoln MKZ
I have a 2018 non PP GT with the active grill shutters. I cannot figure out when these close up. I have looked at them in real cold weather figuring they may help with warm up but these are always open. At highway speed they must close up for aero gain but I cannot feel any difference in the car at speed. The owner's manual says nothing about their operation so I am stumped.
Sponsored

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0
My understanding they are controlled by an electric motor. They are open when the car is off.

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
I removed mine completely, motor and all. Zip-tied the plug to the bumper and wrapped electrical tape around it just in case it gets splashed. I haven't seen any change in performance or mileage, and have the satisfaction of knowing I'm carrying less excess weight forward of the front axle (worst place for excess weight IMO).

Less Weight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I removed mine completely, motor and all. Zip-tied the plug to the bumper and wrapped electrical tape around it just in case it gets splashed. I haven't seen any change in performance or mileage, and have the satisfaction of knowing I'm carrying less excess weight forward of the front axle (worst place for excess weight IMO).
Oooo, this sounds promising. I'm all about cutting weight from my car, especially the front end, so I'm intrigued. Where is this motor? Do I have to remove the front bumper to access it? Do you have any pics of where this is located so that I can chuck it? Thanks.

Monopoly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2012 Civic Si
This gimmick seems about as useful as the sound tube.

Sponsored

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, you have to remove the front bumper cover to remove it.

Also, it defaults to open so that if it malfunctions it will not overheat you.

And I agree with what Blue Moon said.

TheSnowmanMafia

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium
They're for highway use.

You can remove them without any ill affect. The Cervini's grill actually requires them to be removed.

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
Oooo, this sounds promising. I'm all about cutting weight from my car, especially the front end, so I'm intrigued. Where is this motor? Do I have to remove the front bumper to access it? Do you have any pics of where this is located so that I can chuck it? Thanks.
The motor is integrated with the AGS frame, just unplug the wire and pull the whole assembly off, there's nothing tricky about it. While the bumper cover is off, you might has well install a lightweight front bumper. I did that too. http://www.hypermotive.com/tig-vision-light-weight-front-bumper-support-05-18-mustang/

Less Weight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
The motor is integrated with the AGS frame, just unplug the wire and pull the whole assembly off, there's nothing tricky about it. While the bumper cover is off, you might has well install a lightweight front bumper. I did that too. http://www.hypermotive.com/tig-vision-light-weight-front-bumper-support-05-18-mustang/
Thanks for the info. But I got curious so I went down to the garage and shined a flash light through both the upper and lower honeycombs of the grills and didn't see any horizontal slats/vents anywhere.

How come my car doesn't have it? Not that I'm complaining, because it saves me from having to rip off my bumper to remove it but I'm just curious. Or am I just not seeing it? My car is a 2016 GT non Performance Pack for the record.

Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Some of us don’t have them. My ecoboost doesn’t have them from factory either

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
They close at some defined speed for gas mileage. They must make a significant enough difference for Ford to spend the money, weight and time putting them on. Gas guzzler avoidance of some sort most likely.

That said they are worthless.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
At high speeds, closing them diverts air around the car differently creating downforce and stabilizes pockets of air around the front tire well. More aero and handling at speed.