Sponsored

How to remove the lower section of the AGS?

Thatguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Lightning Blue Convertible (sold)
Today's upgrades ended after I pulled the bumper off so I didn't get a good look at the AGS. I'd like to remove the bottom 3 slats from it to expose the new intercooler. I don't have to do it for the install but it looks to good to hide.

Do they pop off or do I have to cut them off? I don't want to damage the rest of the assembly.

Thanks!
Sponsored

Logan1234

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Logan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost
I will take a look at mine tomorrow to confirm but you should be able to remove the lower shutters from the assembly without cutting.

Last edited:

Texstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 EB Premium PP 6MT
If I recall correctly when I removed mine, I think it required cutting since the assembly itself was in one piece. I just cut in the middle below the mounting screw holes, sanded the edges a bit, and it looks like it came that way from the factory.

0c7ab4f4b129133b4f4ac53db6973e24.jpg

The two shutters are connected with a bar (at the bottom of the pic) that moves the lower shutters when the upper shutters are actuated. That's easy to remove and doesn't require cutting, but the assembly does need to be cut if you want to remove the entire lower housing but keep the upper shutters in place.

3fe7e1896a5e240f3cc02f5c24cc4580.png

Based on your question, the parts diagram suggests that the actual shutters themselves can be separated from the housing, so if you just wanted to remove the bottom shutters and keep the assembly in place, you could probably do that too.

OP
OP
Thatguy

Thatguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the info! I watched a video that goes along with what you said about cutting them in the middle.

(jump to 1:45 - )

I wondered what the connection is to make them all open and close. It will be a simple mod with just having a bar to remove.

Logan1234

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Logan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost
You DO NOT have to cut the lower assembly if it doesn't interfere with the new intercooler.

To remove the lower shutters:
1. Separate the piece that connects the upper shutters to the lower shutters (it's behind the crash bar).
2. Pull outer retaining tab away from shutter and move shutter slightly up or down.
3. Pull inner retaining tab away from shutter (part of connecting piece)
4. Slide and remove shutter from hole (inside of assembly).

Once all the shutters are removed connecting piece can be removed as well.

FYI this should only take about 10-15 seconds per shutter once you separate the connection piece.
Shutter 1.jpg
Shutter 2.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Thatguy

Thatguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the detailed pics! Some people totally cut off the bottom section. I wanted to keep the "mouth" because I feel it does a good job directing air into the intercooler. So I took out the shutters and center section.

IMG_8495.jpg

Redcruzer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 eco boost premium convertible, Ruby red
Interesting that the18s convertibles even have shutters.

rvercitypony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford mustang Ecoboost
The above posts were great information. Also, does anyone know the weight of the active grill shutter assembly?

OP
OP
Thatguy

Thatguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't know how much it weights but it's very light. Maybe a few pounds?
Sponsored