Sponsored

A10 1st Gear Slipping? Anyone?

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
So there was a post a while back where someone else was having this issue, but I can't find it to bump it.

When my car is cold and I set out in Drive mode, almost every time it's like the car will go to shift from 1st to 2nd, but there's a gap/loss of power between the shift. Maybe 2-3 seconds. Sometimes it will go 1st - 2nd okay, but then 2nd to 3rd it will slop shift the same. This is under regular acceleration and it's not a hard, slamming shift. After that first hiccup, it will run fine all day unless I park it and it cools off. Then it will do it again.

Anyone heard of/have this issue? I do not have a tune or any kind of aftermarket parts involving the transmission. 3.55 factory car.

Thanks.
Sponsored

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
That is transmission flare. Some boxes are very prone to it such as the Toyota U660E - Google 'U660E transmission flare' and you will see. I had that box in my Lotus Evora and it often flared from 1st into 2nd from cold, but not when warmed up - never came to any harm.

It isn't something my A10 has done, but are you due a transmission oil change by any chance ?

I do get the lock up judder when the box is properly hot sometimes.

1Bear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Gt Convertible
That is transmission flare. Some boxes are very prone to it such as the Toyota U660E - Google 'U660E transmission flare' and you will see. I had that box in my Lotus Evora and it often flared from 1st into 2nd from cold, but not when warmed up - never came to any harm.

It isn't something my A10 has done, but are you due a transmission oil change by any chance ?

I do get the lock up judder when the box is properly hot sometimes.
I have a 2019 Tundra with 5.7 6 speed Auto-trans and it flares in the winter when cold (under 15 degrees), once warmed up you can tow 5,000 lbs and there is no flare and it is tough as heck.

Bear

13razorbackfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
My 18 had a hard shift from 1st to 2nd. So I traded it for a 19 so far so good knock on wood

Bluelightning

Bluelightning
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2017 GT350, 2019 F-150 4x4 Ecoboost (Daily)
Vehicle Showcase
Check the fluid levels, and maybe disconnect the battery and have it relearn your driving styles if it's not low on fluid.

Sponsored

Roger Blose

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 1988 Mustang GT, 2009 Lincoln MKZ
Get a dealer software update / reflash to solve this issue. I had my 2018 done and it is so much better with great shift quality and smoothness.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
Mine does this ONLY if i have it in a mode other than normal mode before its warm. I leave it in drive in normal mode until its warm and its never happened since.

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Mine never does that but then again it is a manual. I could have other problems :).

Zathras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Mine has done this a few times, but it's not consistent and hasn't been doing it lately. (Knock on wood)

Oddly, mine seemed more likely to do this when I shift from P directly into to D and drive away (without using reverse). If I used reverse to back up out of the space, before shifting into D, it was less likely to happen.

OP
OP
The_Phantom

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Thanks for the posts guys.

I should have added: the car has only 7k miles, so she's not due for any services to the trans for a good while.

I have to reverse out of my drive every day, and I go straight to drive and it seems to cause it. I've not tried sport mode, but even if it did it there I expect more trans feedback due to the nature of the mode.

I guess I'll keep an eye on it and if it keeps on I'll take it in. I just hate taking my car to the dealership because it's a chance for something bad to happen....call me OCD on that.

Sponsored

subbz

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Performance Pack Level 2
Take it to the dealership to get checked out immediately. I had the same problem and they replaced the transmission at 14k. Unfortunately the person working on it didnt flush the transmission fluid and used the old fluid when installing the new transmission so it got contaminated with the metal shaving from the old transmission. Started acting up again a few months later and they thought it was the valve body. Fixed it for awhile til it started doing it again. Got it checked out at a different dealer and that's when they told me the previous dealer used the same fluid. I ended up having Ford buy back my Mustang. I went and replaced it with a 19 PP2. Back to manual for me lol.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra