Sponsored

A/C Is Killing My Car!?

TricarboNate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Orange GT
When you say the RPMs drop heavily, by how much is that?

Just watched mine. Drops about 100 RPM every 10 seconds or so, while at a stop light, then goes back up. All my other cars did the same thing though.....air pushing the engine.
Sponsored

MagneticMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
at 95F the a/c doesn't cool all that much either, something I noticed, just too hot for it I guess

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
at 95F the a/c doesn't cool all that much either, something I noticed, just too hot for it I guess
Sounds like either there's a problem or maybe if you're running it with the car stationary in full sun. Mine cools fine.

Kjw86ca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT/CS
Yes, definitely NOT normal if it's really how you described. I have a 1999 Ford Taurus SHO (over 16 years old now) on it's original A/C in hot Southern California 100 degree + weather on some days and while you can certainly hear the compressor kick on and off, there is no noticeable drain on performance, rough engine idle, dip in RPM, etc. My 2011 5.0, same thing. My 2010 Ford Fusion, same thing. Take it to the dealer, that's what your warranty is for! :)

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Sounds like either there's a problem or maybe if you're running it with the car stationary in full sun. Mine cools fine.
He has a convertible, which might not make the AC seem to work as well as in a hardtop (ie, loss through the fabric roof).

Sponsored

vr4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 cobra
He has a convertible, which might not make the AC seem to work as well as in a hardtop (ie, loss through the fabric roof).
In Hawaii my 03 cobra vert ac was ice cold. He has an issue

MagneticMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Yeah, this was with the top down, I expected ice cold air from the vents but at 95F doesn't happen, I'll do a test tomorrow with the top up. At lower outside temps like low 80's, the air coming out is ice cold, so I don't expect any issues with my A/C

It's generally miserable anyway with the top down when the temp is in the 90's even with the cooled seats

MagneticA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Manual v6 Mustang
I had a 3-cylinder Geo Metro back in the day. Turn on the air and it was as if I downshifted from 4th to 2nd at 60 mph (couldn't go much faster). Absolutely crazy. When I was at a stoplight I had to shut the air off so I wouldn't get rear ended when the light turned green! Then the opposite would happen while driving and I turned the air off. Worked like an instant turbo button. Miss that car... :lol:

Herr Squid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard Ecoboost Premium
Hey guys! I own a black 2015 V6 Ford Mustang (base model) and I currently have 6,500 miles.

Now that July has rolled over and Miami is getting up to 95 degrees, I have rolled up the windows and turned on the air conditioner three times.

I'm not sure if this is normal or not (sucks if it is), but my car has been performing very weirdly here recently-- and it's only whenever I switch on my A/C. Whenever it's running, I feel a sudden jerk and the car is sounding like it can barely stay at idle. No exaggeration, but the tachometer drops heavily and my Mustang sounds like it's about to go dead.
The only car I've known this to happen to was an early 80's Volkswagen Rabbit that probably had 80 horsepower. Something is wrong if the A/C is bogging down your engine that hard. For the sake of comparison, I've been driving my EB in 100+ degree temperatures for the last 3 weeks (in Washington State..!) and the A/C is working great and not bogging down my engine.

pt73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
One web site suggests running the air con on hot and cold for 5 minutes a week to circulate to oil inside the coolant (Yes, run it on cold during the winter)

http://www.whatcar.com/News/Detail?...un-air-con-on-cold-in-winter&articleID=223881

It might make a coolant leak less likely as well?

I currently have a 17 year old 6th gen Celica GT on which the air con still works, but I hope to order a new 6th gen Mustang GT soon!

Sponsored

l2frankie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang
that sucks for the op. i got my AC on 24/7 with my windows always down.

pt73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
If the AC compressor has seized, hopefully its a cheap part? It's impressive how quickly AC on cold can clear condensation from windscreens...

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
It should still be in warranty. I live in Louisiana where A/C is essential. My 15 GT cools well even in 95 degree weather. You A/C should not drag your V6 down that significantly. Take it to the dealership and have them check it out. This is definitely not right.

Dat37tho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 64A
I've never felt any significant drop in idle or major shift lag or the the such, but if I sit at idle with the A/C one, I do notice it surge sometimes. But my fan noise stays consistent the entire time it does this. But now that you brought this up, I might have to keep a better eye on it now to see if anything else persists. Thanks for the heads-up!

PRG3k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo
One web site suggests running the air con on hot and cold for 5 minutes a week to circulate to oil inside the coolant (Yes, run it on cold during the winter)

http://www.whatcar.com/News/Detail?...un-air-con-on-cold-in-winter&articleID=223881

I can't +1 this enough. For EVERY single car that I've had AC issues with, every one of them was driven for at least 3-4 months without using the AC. Either up north during he winter or just because I was young and went everywhere with the windows down. I live in Florida too and I've learned to use the AC almost every day. Many systems will atrophy if not used regularly.

Just run it for 5 minutes every day. Also the he compressor shuts off at WOT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored