Sponsored

A/C Compressor Moaning and Groaning

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Eehhh, respectfully disagree. Not saying low won’t cause the issue, but it wasn’t my issue. When I filled it, it took all of the exact amount. And I don’t have any leaks. And I had nothing apart but the compressor for any seals to seat.

AND, when my first one was whining, I took it to a shop to use the machine for the evac. It was completely properly serviced at the time.
Sponsored

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Eruption Green
Eehhh, respectfully disagree. Not saying low won’t cause the issue, but it wasn’t my issue. When I filled it, it took all of the exact amount. And I don’t have any leaks. And I had nothing apart but the compressor for any seals to seat.

AND, when my first one was whining, I took it to a shop to use the machine for the evac. It was completely properly serviced at the time.
I wasn't saying that was the only cause, just 90% of the time it is. Its also possible you were leaking refrigerant from your evaporator core, which you would not be able to see. It is technically possible to have the compressor fail even with proper levels, but generally not this soon. These mustang A/C systems had two problems, compressor or evaporator core. Of course keep in mind we are talking about a ford, anything is possible!

Cheers

CANTWN4LSN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Well thanks to this thread did pursue the whining sound with dealer and awaiting a new A/C compressor install. Interesting that it never failed or didn't work despite being faulty for 50,000 miles but ok by me. Glad I got the 7 year/100k extended warranty. Now will see how my oil consumption test goes as I'm up to a quart per 450 miles recently from long term a quart per 1500 miles. Fingers crossed I won't get a run around. Will update. Love this car:)

GoBlueGT350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 w/ Tech pack, 2022 F150 Tremor
Mine has the supercharger whine when the A/C is engaged, does blow cold in moderate temps but STRUGGLES to blow cold when it's above 80 outside. I'm outside of warranty (because of course), just curious what those who have had the compressor replaced saw in terms of cost and down time for the repair?

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Cost…under $400 for a non-Ford compressor (which is what I’ll be buying next time) from RockAuto. Down time, about 3-4 hours. Maybe a little more cost as I will at least replace the condenser next time; around $90.

Sponsored

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
Did any of you have A/C issues that had a more of a whine than a screeching sound that turned out to be your A/C Compressor? I noticed an audible whine when my A/C was on, mostly in first gear between 2-3k RPM that largely disappears if it is off. Trying to diagnose if it is the compressor or something else entirely.
Yep. I have the same issues. Ver noticeable at low rpms/idle. I honestly thought it was normal because I heard it when my car was still new. Lol, my car has had so many issues, despite it being babied so hard.

DroopyGT350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damien
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Mine does it middle of every summer. It was fine until the motor was replaced. I’ve had a new compressor every summer since… now it’s out of warranty. Shouldn’t it still be covered since it’s a recurring issue and started before the warranty was done?

DroopyGT350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damien
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Cost…under $400 for a non-Ford compressor (which is what I’ll be buying next time) from RockAuto. Down time, about 3-4 hours. Maybe a little more cost as I will at least replace the condenser next time; around $90.
How does it run? Replacing it every summer in a weekend car is silly. Looking for options for the next time.

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
just like others, mine runs great. Even the first one ran great. I replaced it as a preventative step; it never went out. Now wish I had left it alone for the very reasons you mentioned.

Deadly0ne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
Yep. I have the same issues. Ver noticeable at low rpms/idle. I honestly thought it was normal because I heard it when my car was still new. Lol, my car has had so many issues, despite it being babied so hard.
Mine turned out to be the clutch on the A/C compressor going bad. Got it fixed a few days before the bumper to bumper warranty ran out, luckily.

Sponsored

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Mine turned out to be the clutch on the A/C compressor going bad. Got it fixed a few days before the bumper to bumper warranty ran out, luckily.

I've often wondered about that part, but the clutch is as expensive as the whole compressor, literally. I couldn't really tell how to definitively troubleshoot just the clutch at home. Don't know how they did it in the shop either, but....In the end, for the price comparison, it wasn't worth throwing the part at it and that not be it. But yeah, for this symptom, it's certainly possible to just be a clutch.

Deadly0ne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
I've often wondered about that part, but the clutch is as expensive as the whole compressor, literally. I couldn't really tell how to definitively troubleshoot just the clutch at home. Don't know how they did it in the shop either, but....In the end, for the price comparison, it wasn't worth throwing the part at it and that not be it. But yeah, for this symptom, it's certainly possible to just be a clutch.
I'm not that mechanically inclined beyond more basic stuff, but the technician notes stated something along the lines of it only being an issue (the noise) when the clutch was activated. I don't know if that's helpful to you at all, but thought I'd mention it if it was.

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
It’s not. Sure, the whine is only there when the clutch is engaged…but also that’s the only time the compressor is running too, LOL.
Sponsored