R143A and AC Compressor Oil Capacity

MyPrecious

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2016 BMW 340i M-Sport
The one single issue I have had with my car is the AC going out. After five trips to the dealer, the actual compressor failed. I don't know what they did to it to try and fix it but it failed to the point where the belt trying to turn the pulley actually broke the AC clutch. So the compressor and clutch need replacing. I am going to do it myself because I don't trust Ford to fix it anymore.

The one issue I am having is finding capacity levels. When I replace my compressor with a new one, with a new clutch and new belt, how much R134A do I need to use and how much compressor oil do I need to use when its all replaced? I have access to a garage with proper tools to do all of this. Any info or pointers in doing this is much appreciated.

EDIT. Also, what brand R134A and Compressor oil would you suggest?
Sponsored

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
Brand doesnt really matter. You can also do it by high/low side operating pressures.your going to want to put gauges on it anyway. If you have a buddy helping you make sure they pull it down with a vacuum pump. I do lots of residential splits and go by pressure readings.

Lurker_350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Tech
The one single issue I have had with my car is the AC going out. After five trips to the dealer, the actual compressor failed. I don't know what they did to it to try and fix it but it failed to the point where the belt trying to turn the pulley actually broke the AC clutch. So the compressor and clutch need replacing. I am going to do it myself because I don't trust Ford to fix it anymore.

The one issue I am having is finding capacity levels. When I replace my compressor with a new one, with a new clutch and new belt, how much R134A do I need to use and how much compressor oil do I need to use when its all replaced? I have access to a garage with proper tools to do all of this. Any info or pointers in doing this is much appreciated.

EDIT. Also, what brand R134A and Compressor oil would you suggest?
Looks like 4 oz (says 4.1 oz in another section) of compressor oil and 24 oz of refrigerant. I agree with using high/low side pressures for refrigerant, but I would add oil per the spec if the system is dry and empty.

Also, make sure to replace the compressor bolts. Those are single use bolts and many a member has had engines replaced due to the bolts being reused and broken in the block.
Capture.JPG
Sponsored