Sponsored

91 octane tune effects on 2018 GT

dn1984

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 Premium
Hey guys, does JUST a 91 octane tune make as big of a difference on the Gen3 coyote as it does on the older ones? It made my 2012 feel like a completely different car. I plan on keeping the stock intake and exhaust, the only thing I would do is the tune, and I don't wanna run on corn because it's very hard to find here. I'll be going with Lund or AED
Sponsored

FruityJudy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
I do not believe you will be satisfied with the money spent on a tune only without a catless setup or more since you have driving modes on your car.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
I do not believe you will be satisfied with the money spent on a tune only without a catless setup or more since you have driving modes on your car.
How much does removing cats get you? 5-7hp?

Is that really going to make the difference between "meh" to "OMG!!!!" as far as feel and performance?

Stephen@lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Gt500
As compared to just a tune? Your butt dyno will def see a good different with a catless x pipe over just a tune. Removing cats depending on the pipe is worth a solid 7-15whp and you will notice it for sure. Let me know if you are interested in going that route and I can get you squared away. You won't be disappointed with a catless mid pipe I promise that.

DavidHuff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 5.0
As compared to just a tune? Your butt dyno will def see a good different with a catless x pipe over just a tune. Removing cats depending on the pipe is worth a solid 7-15whp and you will notice it for sure. Let me know if you are interested in going that route and I can get you squared away. You won't be disappointed with a catless mid pipe I promise that.
What would you do about the CEL when you go catless x pipe?

Sponsored

Stephen@lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Gt500
The tune that you get with it will turn the CEL off and it'll be like it was never there.

Stang 19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 Ford Performance Blue
The tune that you get with it will turn the CEL off and it'll be like it was never there.
Hope you orher 49 states dont have smog checks. Here, no cats= no pass.

Stephen@lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Gt500
Alot of people just keep their stock mid pipes and just replace them for their emissions check lol.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
oes JUST a 91 octane tune make as big of a difference on the Gen3 coyote as it does on the older ones? It made my 2012 feel like a completely different car.
absolute power won't change much. Do back to back Dyno runs to see what if any (and where) gains are to be had. The tune changes the character of the power delivery and throttle feel which was totally worth it to me. Similar to your experience, my '17 V6 was a totally different animal after a tune. With a 18+ GT is was not nearly so dramatic but still welcome.

Sponsored

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
A 91 tune was definitely noticeable to me. I've had the tune off and on a couple of times to compare. Actually, one thing I did not like about it was spinning so much in 1st and 2nd. I had to train myself to go easy on the right foot from a dig. At midrange speed like hitting an on-ramp, that is where i appreciated the difference in power.

FruityJudy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
A 91 tune was definitely noticeable to me. I've had the tune off and on a couple of times to compare. Actually, one thing I did not like about it was spinning so much in 1st and 2nd. I had to train myself to go easy on the right foot from a dig. At midrange speed like hitting an on-ramp, that is where i appreciated the difference in power.
That could be something as simple as how torque management is setup in stock vs a tune. I do believe that since the gen 3 has a higher compression ratio it should be more sensative to octane ratings. I may try to log knock on 87 vs 93 while stock to see if there are any timing changes

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
That could be something as simple as how torque management is setup in stock vs a tune. I do believe that since the gen 3 has a higher compression ratio it should be more sensative to octane ratings. I may try to log knock on 87 vs 93 while stock to see if there are any timing changes
I think you may be right about the torque management. That has definitely crossed my mind based on how it drives.

OP
OP
dn1984

dn1984

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 Premium
Are there long term downsides to running E85 100% of the time? I've done a little math and with the savings over 91 octane, taking into account the extra distance driving to the nearest E85 station (about 15 miles away) and a 25% reduction in MPG, it will cost about the same for me to run it. And seeing as how these things see massive gains with E85, I guess it would be worth the inconvenience. I would be running a flex fuel tune just in case. But is this going to damage my fuel lines or engine in any way driving around with E85 for prolonged periods of time?

kent0464

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kent
Vehicle(s)
1983 Ford Ranger, 1986 SVO Mustang, 2017 Mustang GT PP, 2017 F150 3.5 Eco
Vehicle Showcase
Are there long term downsides to running E85 100% of the time? I've done a little math and with the savings over 91 octane, taking into account the extra distance driving to the nearest E85 station (about 15 miles away) and a 25% reduction in MPG, it will cost about the same for me to run it. And seeing as how these things see massive gains with E85, I guess it would be worth the inconvenience. I would be running a flex fuel tune just in case. But is this going to damage my fuel lines or engine in any way driving around with E85 for prolonged periods of time?

My 14 E350 was a flex-fuel vehicle, able to run E85 full time, but the owners manual did state that occasionally running a tank of gasoline was needed.......it gave further explanation but I don’t remember it all.
For my 86 SVO I used to run a tank of 93 every 2-3 months, but now I just add a bit of upper cylinder lubricant to the E85.
Sponsored