6R80 vs 10R80

SSally

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JT
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Premium Convertible Rapid Red
I’ve owned numerous manual transmission Mustangs over the past 35+ years. Due to ongoing issues with my left leg, a manual transmission is no longer an option. I am curious what people who have owned both a 6R80 automatic trans S550 and the current 10R80 S550 feel are the pros and cons when compared to each other.
Sponsored

sirben711

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Ecoboost 10R80 w/ FP Tune
Depends on what you want from a transmission.

I had a 2017 6R80 V6 - it was destroyed by a reckless cop, forcing me to get a 2021 Ecoboost 10R80.

I would pick the 6R80 every day of the week.

But I will try to be as unbiased as possible...which will be hard.

6R80 downsides:
-Its old, and would you trust a used transmission?
-Its a bit slow on the up shifts when compared to the 10R80

6R80 upsides:
-Very smooth. Much smoother than the 10R80, especially on the downshifts.
-Only 6 gears, the transmission can easily decide what gear it needs to be in at any time.

10R80 downsides:
-The downshifts are god awful. Seriously, if you don't like clunky downshifts when coming to a stop, stay away form this transmission. The downshifts can feel like you are being kicked in the back or getting rear ended. I have taken mine in (bought brand new) 3 times and the issue still has not been solved.
-It is always hunting for the right gear. It NEVER knows what gear is optimal to be in. Though, this could be a stock programming issue.

10R80 upsides:
It is VERY fast accelerating.

I suspect everyone here will say go with the 10R80. Many people have had good luck with the 10R80s, but I have not. If I could go back in time, I would would go manual over the 10r80 - but I understand you cannot.

Last edited:

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
Depends on what you want from a transmission.

I had a 2017 6R80 V6 - it was destroyed by a reckless cop, forcing me to get a 2021 Ecoboost 10R80.

I would pick the 6R80 every day of the week.

But I will try to be as unbiased as possible...which will be hard.

6R80 downsides:
-Its old, and would you trust a used transmission?
-Its a bit slow on the up shifts when compared to the 10R80

6R80 upsides:
-Very smooth. Much smoother than the 10R80, especially on the downshifts.
-Only 6 gears, the transmission can easily decide what gear it needs to be in at any time.

10R80 downsides:
-The downshifts are god awful. Seriously, if you don't like clunky downshifts when coming to a stop, stay away form this transmission. The downshifts can feel like you are being kicked in the back or getting rear ended. I have taken mine in (bought brand new) 3 times and the issue still has not been solved.
-It is always hunting for the right gear. It NEVER knows what gear is optimal to be in. Though, this could be a stock programming issue.

10R80 upsides:
It is VERY fast accelerating.

I suspect everyone here will say go with the 10R80. Many people have had good luck with the 10R80s, but I have not. If I could go back in time, I would would go manual over the 10r80 - but I understand you cannot.
Accurate IMO. I have the 6 in a F150, its butter. The 8spd in my Edge ST was stupid except for on sport mode but it drank gas.

The 10spd is so dang fast its silly, but it does do wonky stuff at times in S+ and Normal. Overall I like it, but it can be rough. I know a guy with a business running fleet trucks, he says the 10spd usually shreds the tq convertor at 150k miles ish, so hopefully it's a durable tranny in the mustang.

Since adding the FP tune, TB and intake, I usually just run the car in Normal mode.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
I like my 10r80 but I have to paddle shift it. Too much hunting and unwanted gear changes if I dont.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
10R80 downsides:
I will say that both of those issues mentioned are pretty much nullified when you drive "hard" and are in any other mode than normal. Around town it's clunky, but when you're on a racetrack or driving aggressively the downshifts are perfectly fine. I've never felt out of control braking down a straightaway from 140mph to 30mph and downshifting 7 > 6 > 5 > 4 > 3 > 2 in a very short span.

Doing that on the street at low rpms it's clunky as you said, so it really depends on the OP's usage for the vehicle.

Sponsored

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
I will say that both of those issues mentioned are pretty much nullified when you drive "hard" and are in any other mode than normal. Around town it's clunky, but when you're on a racetrack or driving aggressively the downshifts are perfectly fine. I've never felt out of control braking down a straightaway from 140mph to 30mph and downshifting 7 > 6 > 5 > 4 > 3 > 2 in a very short span.

Doing that on the street at low rpms it's clunky as you said, so it really depends on the OP's usage for the vehicle.
True. Its just clunky normal driving, not spirited.

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
All this "it's always hunting for the right gear" is a bunch of crap.

It shifts 1 through 10 just like it's supposed to, then goes back down from 10th to 1st. With the right throttle signal, it can drop from 10th to 4th, like right now.

My wife has a Lexus LS500 with a 10 speed. I has a harsh downshift from 2nd to 1st. Not terrible, but you can feel it.

10R80 suffers from poor programming from Ford, Chevy makes their 10R80 feel wonderful.

So bitch at Ford, not the 10R80, it's only doing what the knuckleheads a Ford are making it do.

Get the HP Tuners 10R80 software and upgrade your 10R if you dont like it.

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT500 '19 GT PP1 '13 GT500, 98 GT, 92 LX 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
The 10R80 require you to drive it. Not let it drive you.

I find it very responsive to my throttle inputs.

Normal is the best mode in most cases. Otherwise I paddle shift.

I do think it can be improved, I am taking it in for the latest service update. I have heard some say, their issues get worse.

I am 95% happy with my 10R80. I am concerned "fixing it" make cause other issues.

Headless Horseman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
I've never had a single problem out of my transmission. Ten gears of blissful & precision shifting over 40,000miles. I also drive it like it has over 450hp and not 175hp!

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Being around enough 6R and 10R80’s, I’m always staying with a 6R80.

Sponsored

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
I am 95% happy with my 10R80. I am concerned "fixing it" make cause other issues.
I'm with you on this. Mine is going in to the dealer tomorrow and I had asked to have the trans checked for updates but I may chicken out and stay with the Devil I know. I get a jerky 3-4 and 4-5 in anything except normal D but after 3.5 years I'm not sure its that big of a deal anymore.

Decisions, Decisions.......

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
I'm with you on this. Mine is going in to the dealer tomorrow and I had asked to have the trans checked for updates but I may chicken out and stay with the Devil I know. I get a jerky 3-4 and 4-5 in anything except normal D but after 3.5 years I'm not sure its that big of a deal anymore.

Decisions, Decisions.......
Im still gonna get mine in line for a TSB check and fluid level check.

Gfswindle

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT A10
Having owned both myself, my thoughts are 10r80>6r80. However for a smooth daily the 6r is better. The 10r just likes to be driven hard and not babied around town. As has already been mentioned however, don't blame the trans, blame ford's very poor shifting strategy. Look up 10 speed camaro vids on YT and you will see it's just the way ford did their tuning. The GM and Ford 10 speed is near enough identical. One thing I notice when doing this search is GM tends to give the trans ample time to complete upshifts fully before applying power to the extent that stock WOT in the camaro sounds like shifts happen with a full throttle/fuel cut between shifts. It sounds cool but isn't as good for all out performance whereas ford doesn't do a full power cut just a reduction likely through spark and/or throttle reduction for a split second between clutch engagements.

That said, I am getting a Lund Tune in the coming weeks which reviews say Lund really changes the nature of the 10r80 from a sometimes harsh turd to a smoother experience overall.

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
Having owned both myself, my thoughts are 10r80>6r80. However for a smooth daily the 6r is better. The 10r just likes to be driven hard and not babied around town. As has already been mentioned however, don't blame the trans, blame ford's very poor shifting strategy. Look up 10 speed camaro vids on YT and you will see it's just the way ford did their tuning. The GM and Ford 10 speed is near enough identical. One thing I notice when doing this search is GM tends to give the trans ample time to complete upshifts fully before applying power to the extent that stock WOT in the camaro sounds like shifts happen with a full throttle/fuel cut between shifts. It sounds cool but isn't as good for all out performance whereas ford doesn't do a full power cut just a reduction likely through spark and/or throttle reduction for a split second between clutch engagements.

That said, I am getting a Lund Tune in the coming weeks which reviews say Lund really changes the nature of the 10r80 from a sometimes harsh turd to a smoother experience overall.
I've got the FP tune/tb/cai and just got the Lund tune today for a "Bullitt". Have to load this evening and log for them. Be curious how the Lund 10R80 strategy is vs FP.

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT500 '19 GT PP1 '13 GT500, 98 GT, 92 LX 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
Im still gonna get mine in line for a TSB check and fluid level check.
Me too. Then when the warranty runs out. I am going with a tune.
Sponsored