Sponsored

6R80 Vibration at Flex Plate

gqneon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP / Manual
I have been getting some false knock and hearing some vibration that I thought was coming from my exhaust making contact somewhere. So I got up under the car and found that one of the header bolts was backed all the way out - top 2nd from the rear on the driver's side. I was a little irked because it looked like it just never got tightened down - it was just past hand tight on the stud. So I got my ratcheting wrench and torqued it down which took a while because of space constraints. No exhaust leak or warping somehow - talk about lucky.

So I banged on the exhaust with my palm under the mid pipe and still heard a rattling noise. It turns out the inspection plate / flex plate area of the 6R80 is rattling its ass off. That HAS to be causing me some false knock so unless someone has some better idea I'm going to stick some dynamat across where they meet and heat it up into place I guess. It's a bad rattle - check this video out.

If anyone has any thoughts about why this is happening and how to fix it - please let me know. This is my first auto trans car but that rattling can't be normal.

[ame]

I'm moving this thread here instead of issues / tsb's - I forget how many sub forums exist here!
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
gqneon

gqneon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP / Manual
Someone made a suggestion that I use some black RTV to shim up the gap and stop the vibration. That would probably work fine and be easier to remove than the dynamat pieces I had already stuck to it before I got that suggestion lol... but the good news is I don't notice this vibration anymore. Onto the next rattle and buzz now I guess!

mustangenthusiast25

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Triple Yellow Mustang Gt Premium
Hi there. Thank you for the great information. I believe I have the same exact rattle as you have talked about here. Would you mind listening to my video to check if it's similar to the noise you had? I hear the rattle when the car is in drive and sport mode, not in neutral or park. The noise sounds like a marble in a tin can. It happens in drive around 1500 rpm and in sport mode around 2700 rpm when I'm about to shift into the next gear. It never happens when the car is cold, only when it's warm. You can hear it around the 4 second mark in the video I have linked. I also have more clips of the sound on my youtube channel. Thank you.

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
I have the same exact thing after my trans was out. I believe it's the cause of my remaining false knock too.

I could find very little info on it and like you, cant see any bolts or anything to tighten up. I also read put some silicone/RTV around where it touches the block/trans. I plan on trying that this weekend.

There's a video of the same thing on youtube, here. But the poster made no comment on HOW he fixed it.

OP
OP
gqneon

gqneon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP / Manual
I have the same exact thing after my trans was out. I believe it's the cause of my remaining false knock too.

I could find very little info on it and like you, cant see any bolts or anything to tighten up. I also read put some silicone/RTV around where it touches the block/trans. I plan on trying that this weekend.

There's a video of the same thing on youtube, here. But the poster made no comment on HOW he fixed it.

Yeah it's that inspection plate/cover where it meets. I used dynamat but a bead of well placed silicone would do the trick. You don't have to hit it that hard to hear it.

Sponsored

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
For the love of God. I have been trying to figure this shit out for months. Exact same noise. If this is the reason why my car feels slow and it fixes it, I will ship you a case of any beverage of your choice.

OP
OP
gqneon

gqneon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP / Manual
I take my drink donations in any form of whiskey or whisky - I'm not scared to let you pick!

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Look up my user ID - I had posted about this at least 4+ weeks ago in the Issues/TSB forum, as well as the Shelby forum.

It’s a known issue with the F150’s, there is a Ford doc about it, but nothing for the S550. I posted the info because the “Coyote Rattle” has been linked to that in the F150’s and it has been found to be the spacer plate between the trans and engine (Shelby Members were having the same issue) - same as what you are experiencing.

Cheers!

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
Fixed this on my car today.

There only appears to be two bolts on the upper sides that hold the plate on, which also hold brackets for hoses/wiring. The rattle comes from the lower middle portion from it vibrating on the trans housing. I put a flat head screwdriver in and bent it outward a little pulling it away from the trans housing and that fixed it. I still put a bead of silicone in there as well though for good measure. No vibrations or noise anymore.

Please excuse my blurryness and dirtyness lol. I squeezed a bead of silicone in the gap and then pushed/spread it with my finger which is why it looks the way it does.

20190511-181700-HDR.jpg

Look up my user ID - I had posted about this at least 4+ weeks ago in the Issues/TSB forum, as well as the Shelby forum.

It’s a known issue with the F150’s, there is a Ford doc about it, but nothing for the S550. I posted the info because the “Coyote Rattle” has been linked to that in the F150’s and it has been found to be the spacer plate between the trans and engine (Shelby Members were having the same issue) - same as what you are experiencing.

Cheers!
Well this makes extra sense for my application... I have an older F150 trans in my car... Lol. Didn't notice this issue before that either.

SOMDS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT Prem PP1|MT6|MR, '17 Lexus IS300 f-Sport, '08 Jeep Grand Cherokee
I know this is an old thread but, the info helped me out. My new '20 PP1 had the annoying "rattle" that drove me nuckin' futz! The proposed solution was an excuse for me to buy race ramps and I slapped a piece of dynamat to the plate. Rattle all gone. Sounds so much nicer cruisin' around. Thanks all!
IMG_2050.jpg
IMG_2055.jpg
IMG_2057.jpg

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra