Sponsored

Could the 2018/19 S550 5.0 “rattle” be....

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Well, Ford released another TSB for the 2018-2019 5.0 F150’s.

Take note of what is rattling on the F150’s:

Issue: Some 2018-2019 F-150 vehicles equipped with a 5.0L engine and built on or before 12-Feb-2019 may exhibit a rattling sound coming from the transmission bellhousing area. This may be due to the torque converter studs contacting the engine to transmission spacer plate. To resolve this concern, replace the engine to transmission spacer plate with a new engine to transmission spacer plate that includes a bend for additional clearance.
TSB 19-2093 attached (again, specific ONLY to the 2018-2019 F150’s)

The 2018/19 S550 10R80 would have a spacer plate and I’m sure the 2018/19 MT82 would also have a spacer plate. Could it too be the source of “rattles”?
Sponsored

Attachments

OP
OP
Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mut manual transmission doesn't have torque converter. And if it was that simple. It would be already fixed.

I know the manual trans doesn’t have a torque converter - however it still does have an aluminum spacer plate correct? At least nearly every manual trans I have removed and worked on had a spacer plate ...

And if the flywheel bolts are coming in contact with (or close to) that spacer plate, there is still the same possibility of a noise or rattle occurring.

Just throwing it out there, because if they found this to be an issue with the F150 - they may not have found the same with the S550 (yet) if it has not been looked into by the Ford Engineers.

EVL-S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I know the manual trans doesn’t have a torque converter - however it still does have an aluminum spacer plate correct? At least nearly every manual trans I have removed and worked on had a spacer plate ...

And if the flywheel bolts are coming in contact with (or close to) that spacer plate, there is still the same possibility of a noise or rattle occurring.

Just throwing it out there, because if they found this to be an issue with the F150 - they may not have found the same with the S550 (yet) if it has not been looked into by the Ford Engineers.
Well I got some RTV Silicone and pasted it all over the bell housing plate to the point it looks like a first grade science project. It didn't seem to help. I do think the rattle is driveline based - either dual mass flywheel or throwout bearing related. If I pinch the shifter boot below the reverse lockout on the bushing, it changes the pitch. Also I have no rattle in 5th or 6th and slightly less in 4th. Seems most prominent in 2nd and 3rd.

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase
The fact that oil and Ceratec have effects seems pretty definitive to me that it's an internally lubricated issue. At least the tick.

Separating the rattle only? Maybe!

Sponsored

EVL-S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
The fact that oil and Ceratec have effects seems pretty definitive to me that it's an internally lubricated issue. At least the tick.

Separating the rattle only? Maybe!
Ceratec actually ended up doing nothing for me. Any quietness was purely placebo with mine. I dumped the 5W-20 w/Ceratec and put 5W-30 Pennzoil Platinum and it still rattles the same as always.

Ghost50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Metallic GT PP1
Hmmm...interesting.

I’ve got an MT82 car and when my “knock” started I swore it was coming from the bellhousing area on the passenger side.

I’ve got the tick and the rattle/knock. The metal flakes I found in my catch suggest a rotating assembly issue and I’d say that’s tick related (or not if Ford is to be believed and it is break in flakes). But the knock, which is intermittent and comes and goes (therefore not rotating associated bc it would be constant right?), would very well be this.

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase
Ceratec actually ended up doing nothing for me. Any quietness was purely placebo with mine. I dumped the 5W-20 w/Ceratec and put 5W-30 Pennzoil Platinum and it still rattles the same as always.
Perhaps your tick/rattle is something different from those who report great success. Mine started after my first oil change, PPU 5W-20 also. Mine goes away after the car is fully warmed up.

My working hypothesis is that thermal expansion is causing the base tick and is partially solvable with oil based approaches. Additionally, there are others that truly have problems.

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
Perhaps your tick/rattle is something different from those who report great success. Mine started after my first oil change, PPU 5W-20 also. Mine goes away after the car is fully warmed up.

My working hypothesis is that thermal expansion is causing the base tick and is partially solvable with oil based approaches. Additionally, there are others that truly have problems.
Are you referring to the typewriter tick or the 2-3k rattle? They are two separate concerns.
I have heard success with oil additives on the typewriter tick but haven't read or seen it solve the rattle.
Anyone here confirm your rattle went away with ceratec?

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase
Tick- Normal according to Ford and solvable for some
Rattle- Indicative of a 2nd issue

Sponsored

EVL-S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT

Mine does get quieter once the car is warmed up but it's still there. The car runs like an animal so I'm just going to keep driving the piss out of it and enjoying it. I still feel like it's driveline related, specifically clutch/flywheel/trans.

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
Tick- Normal according to Ford and solvable for some
Rattle- Indicative of a 2nd issue
Not sure I follow what your trying to say and how ceratec helps with the rattle

OP
OP
Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just to clarify the thread before it gets blown out of proportion into another “tick”, “crested” or this or that...

The discussion is for a “rattle” type of noise emitting from what would be the back or rear of the engine by the trans bell housing. The attached TSB does NOT apply to the S550 and the ONLY purpose of the FYI thread is:

If such a concern was prominent with the 2018/2019 5.0 F150’s and the Ford Engineering Team found the source of their “rattle”, what’s to say that the rattle being heard by 2018/19 S550 5.0 owners could be a similar issue, but just has not been a documented finding (yet)?

EVL-S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Just to clarify the thread before it gets blown out of proportion into another “tick”, “crested” or this or that...

The discussion is for a “rattle” type of noise emitting from what would be the back or rear of the engine by the trans bell housing. The attached TSB does NOT apply to the S550 and the ONLY purpose of the FYI thread is:

If such a concern was prominent with the 2018/2019 5.0 F150’s and the Ford Engineering Team found the source of their “rattle”, what’s to say that the rattle being heard by 2018/19 S550 5.0 owners could be a similar issue, but just has not been a documented finding (yet)?
I'm doing a new drive shaft, FRP short shifter, rear trans mount and diff bushings in the next week. Going to slap some dynamat in the trans tunnel while it's all out. Will report if it changes anything.

Stephane4985

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephane
Vehicle(s)
2018 Black Mustang GT PP
Crossing my fingers they find something similar on the mustang. I am already tired of that rattle.
Sponsored