5.0 Coyote Water Pump

jordi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jordan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Has anyone converted to an electric water pump from stock? My water pump failed this weekend at 57K Miles on the highway. Took the belt off the alternator and coolant bursted everywhere..

Car is currently at the dealer getting a new water pump and belts, but curious if anyone has switched to electric.

Thanks!
Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Has anyone converted to an electric water pump from stock? My water pump failed this weekend at 57K Miles on the highway. Took the belt off the alternator and coolant bursted everywhere..

Car is currently at the dealer getting a new water pump and belts, but curious if anyone has switched to electric.

Thanks!

Crazy that you mention this, but my water pump pulley has a wobble to it right now. I checked to make sure all the bolts were tightened and I checked the pulley for play. Sure enough, the pulley has side to side movement. I have an appointment made for end of this week. You think my car is going to make it? I don't see any leaks right now, but my coolant is slightly low. Hmmm....

How'd yours fail? Just implode on the highway?

66Bronc1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JT
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Sounds like bad bearings- either defective or perhaps they just wear out. I am curious if this is a common problem.

Reactions: Ebm

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Sounds like bad bearings- either defective or perhaps they just wear out. I am curious if this is a common problem.
OP is at 57k and I'm at 59k miles. Does seem quick for it to wear out. I think this is a pretty common problem with all Coyote motors (2011-2019). I've heard about it on several different forums.

Sponsored

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
OP is at 57k and I'm at 59k miles. Does seem quick for it to wear out. I think this is a pretty common problem with all Coyote motors (2011-2019). I've heard about it on several different forums.
It is somewhat common. The only Coyote-powered Mustang to show up at my shop for non-performance related repairs was for a water pump(2012 model IIRC) but I've read a few other reports online. The repair was very simple however so a DIY'er can do the job themselves without too much worry.

Jeff's FRC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
My water pump had a tiny bit of weapage at around 2k miles and several of my friends that also did OPG/CG had their very low mile water pumps show signs of weaping. When I did my gears the water pumps were on backorder so I just had the car put back together. Original pump still fine.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
It is somewhat common. The only Coyote-powered Mustang to show up at my shop for non-performance related repairs was for a water pump(2012 model IIRC) but I've read a few other reports online. The repair was very simple however so a DIY'er can do the job themselves without too much worry.
I agree, definitely a straight forward repair and the part isn't bad either(Around $100 from Ford). It's just frustrating to see something fail this early.

Not gonna lie, whenever I hear the name Grimace, I think of the purple McDonald's character.
hFZFYHqIyfpl.jpg

gqneon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP / Manual
I replaced OPG/CS for a friend and his car had around 20k miles (2016 GT) and his water pump had signs of weepage. Texted a pic to a ford mechanic friend (20+ years as their shop's main motor guy) and he simply said to replace it. Luckily they weren't backordered, so we went with the $98 ounce of prevention. I've had three of these cars and driven them all like Mustangs and FWIW I haven't had one fail or shows signs of failure... yet. I'll be sure to keep an eye on things and update if it comes up. As far as electric water pumps go I've not seen anyone convert to them and assumed it was just for race cars where the belt routing or drag was an issue for one reason or another. Sorry about your pump explosion though - that's a LOT of coolant to end up everywhere and it seems like it never all gets off the motor.

Sponsored

V8EATR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I switched to Electric, pricey though. My pump was leaking at around 18k when I did my intake cams. I think the rpm's take a lot of life out of them. My car has had a GT350 manifold since 2016 so it has seen 8k many many many times.
The Electric pump was super easy to install and has been great all year, even in 95* stop and go traffic.

Fleeger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 401a Auto 3.31's
My 2015 has 107 k on it and the only thing done to it has been plugs, oil, tires, and filters. My 2013 gt was rock solid too. I hate to see that others have had them fail so early.

Jeff73Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT PP
Mine failed today at 50K My car is stock and it imploded on the highway at 2600 rpm more or less. Sitting on the side of te interstate is not pleasant! I would replace mine if I had over 50K based on my experience and what i am seeing. Hopefully the new water pump is revised to aleviate this failure
Sponsored