Sponsored

2011-2017 5.0 Coyote Mustang GT / F150 Electric Water Pump Kit - Gain up to 13HP!!

Mikeiscoo2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
i honestly just cant imagine it takes 13 hp to run our water pump.. i have a 5hp lawn mower and im sure the huge ass blade under the mower is harder to move than the water in the pump. i just cant imagine it takes 13 hp of draw off the engine. i could believe maybe like 3 though..

GSLSE20B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 SHADOW BLACK GTPP
i honestly just cant imagine it takes 13 hp to run our water pump.. i have a 5hp lawn mower and im sure the huge ass blade under the mower is harder to move than the water in the pump. i just cant imagine it takes 13 hp of draw off the engine. i could believe maybe like 3 though..
Maybe it's like dyno graphs , 20hp loss on a stock car or 300hp loss on a blown E85 build

RBS550

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
RB
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Don't forget that GM has been running electric water pumps for decades! Reliable enough for them... I would like to see this on a daily driver for a good solid year.
I am in no means the SBC Authority, but when these cars were new I installed a few cams. The water pump is driven from the rear by the timing gear, not by electric. Check out the photos below, part#39 is the coupler for driving the water pump.

On a different note; I'm not here trying to defend MMR but the Cobra Jet has an electric water pump and just the pump is close to $600, M-8501-M50CJ16. It's better to keep your flow at a constant rate, at some point I risk blowing some coolant connection off with high RMPs on a manually driven water pump.
HP claims IDK, obviously at idle it doesn't take as much HP as it does at 8K RPMs, the flow characteristics get worse with RPMs. Imagine the grass doesn't get cut, just beaten and the more RPMs you turn the more resistance there is.

It's not all about HP, as for Drag Racing, especially NMRA True Street you can do what we call TicTok, this is where you turn on the water pump until the hot block water is in the radiator, then turn off the water pump and turn on your fans, you keep cycling (TikTok) till cooled down. I have done this since the 80s. I'd hope to get at least a tenth out of a set up like this. This keeps the dreaded KNOCK at bay and you will run consistent. Remember not every tenth comes at the same price.

This response was not meant to defend or offend anyone, just share what I have experienced. And to put it into a cost perspective, when I did the electric water pump in the 80s it was only $60! But Headers were only $79! So now days we pay $700+ for headers........
Diagram.jpg
Water pump drive.jpg
Timg drive.jpg

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Camaros, firebirds and any car that was LT1 v8 based.
My '95 and '97 LT1s did NOT have electric water pumps. I ordered both and an electric pump was not an option.

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
we've been running the meziere for years first on our 2011- and then we moved it over to our 15

$1100 vs $699, much nicer price, and you get more with it.

i like it

i'm guessing by the size of the pulley, you should be able to run the 20% o/d balancer, which will be great for the s/c guys

Higgs Boson

Detonation Denotation
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350R
Camaros, firebirds and any car that was LT1 v8 based.
LT1 as in from the 90s? Mechanical water pumps.
LSx from the 2000s? Mechanical water pumps.
LTx from right now? Mechanical water pumps.

I have had all of the above in Camaro, Corvette, and truck form and never had an electric water pump.

Can you post a link or source showing electric water pumps? Are you sure you aren't talking about electric fans? They did move the fan off the water pump (except for the 3/4 ton trucks).....

BlackPP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Black Performance Package Base GT
I guess I was misinformed. I always though the old lt1 engines had electric water pumps.

RBS550

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
RB
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I guess I was misinformed. I always though the old lt1 engines had electric water pumps.
No harm no foul, it happens to best of us.:) They do look like they are electric.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Mod Mustang Racing

Mod Mustang Racing

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modularmotorsportsracing.com
Vehicle(s)
Worlds Fastest & Only 5 second Coyote
Id like to see dyno charts on this as well. Honestly every vendor should be required to show proof before claiming any gains. There should be a dyno before said mod and then another with, all while reducing as many variables as possible. Not saying this isn't legit I just tend to take any hp gain from a vendor with a grain of salt.
The HP claims were directly from the pump manufacturer, we have however seen similar and even more gains.

OP
OP
Mod Mustang Racing

Mod Mustang Racing

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
The HP claims were directly from the pump manufacturer, we have however seen similar and even more gains.
Great! Since I don't know of a way to SEE those HP gains other than a dyno sheet, please post some, particularly the "more" variety.

OP
OP
Mod Mustang Racing

Mod Mustang Racing

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Nothing documented unfortunately, but this isnt rocket science either, a water pump takes HP to turn, the question is how much, the answer is the faster you spin it the more HP it eats. Electric water pumps are nothing new in this industry, it seems most pump manufacturers including this one all seem to claim 10-15 HP. Some searching among the different manufacturers may yield some TRUE back to back testing. Our goals was to simply make a kit to eliminate the bulky water pump for turbo and supercharger applications, the HP gains were simply icing on the cake for us!
Sponsored