Sponsored

400 cell catted 3" downpipe

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
What choices do I have, it would also be nice to have 3" outlet pipe to exhaust.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Interceptor

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks, I had already read all those links and many others, the key word here is 400 cell. I have only found one vendor "Stage3 Motorists" that has a 400. I'm sure it is a very good product but very pricey.
Most vendor advertise hi-flow catted downpipes and don't give numbers, so that tells me they are 200s

Sponsored

OP
OP
Interceptor

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for responses, the 400 cell mention by me and other two post are the same part. Looks like may need to step back to 200 cell.
Wanting the emissions to be legal in case I trade car later at a dealership.

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
You will never pass an emissions test with an aftermarket downpipe.
The O2 sensors will never be "ready" with the 3" pipes.
Be prepared to change back to the stock downpipe and drive 100 miles to get the monitors ready for an emissions pass.
One of the joys of performance modifications.

jrock

The
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Blue EB
Vehicle Showcase
I had to go to a quick oil change place to pass emissions. The dealer wanted to see the EO number on the Cat. What they told me is that I had a 48 state legal Cat but my car has an 49 State Emission sticker which means I would not pass their inspection. Also, all of my senors are at the ready state. I use the hypertech tune, so I am sure any of the sensor states are not messed with. I did have a code pop up for removing my grill shutters. which thanks to the @Chef jpd, I was able to install the shutters and pass my inspection with no issues.

lawrencecar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost PP
You will never pass an emissions test with an aftermarket downpipe.
The O2 sensors will never be "ready" with the 3" pipes.
Be prepared to change back to the stock downpipe and drive 100 miles to get the monitors ready for an emissions pass.
One of the joys of performance modifications.
With my 3" catted DP all monitors in ready state. In VA it is ODB check only.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Interceptor

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for heads up, I'll just use a 200 catted downpipe. Dealer personel will see the cat on downpipe and think it is legal maybe. I will keep old downpipe for insurance. No plans to trade now.

Sponsored

rvercitypony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford mustang Ecoboost
To each his own, but a 200 cell cat DP is not an appreciable difference between an non-catted DP. The exhaust smoke smell factor can't be much different. I use E30 fuel and it doesn't create any exhaust smoke smell on my non-catted DP.

cvf-jason

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cvfab.com
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost Mustang
To each his own, but a 200 cell cat DP is not an appreciable difference between an non-catted DP. The exhaust smoke smell factor can't be much different. I use E30 fuel and it doesn't create any exhaust smoke smell on my non-catted DP.
This is not necessarily true. Most of the aftermarket downpipes out there are using 200 cell (ours included) and there is a noticeable difference in sound and smell between the two.

rvercitypony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford mustang Ecoboost
This is not necessarily true. Most of the aftermarket downpipes out there are using 200 cell (ours included) and there is a noticeable difference in sound and smell between the two.
Now that you mention it, I agree. I've been this car driving so long with it's custom built exhaust, including the resonators, and an E30 tune, that I forgot about smell and sound the car had with just a non-catted DP. Of course, the mods I mentioned eliminated those issues.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
There’s many exhaust companies that sell 400 cpsi aftermarket cats... The 400 cpsi will pass most 50 State emissions tests over many 200 cpsi cats.

Most of the OEM cats on (insert make/model/year here) come on average of being 700-800 cpsi cores. The more tubes there are in the cat honeycomb core, equals less exhaust pollutants entering the atmosphere.

400 cpsi cats are what *most* exhaust manufacturer vendors offer in the aftermarket, with some offering the 200 or even 100 cpsi versions.

Many of the aftermarket hi-flow cats are stainless steel shells with either a standard ceramic honeycomb core or metal monolith core. Either way you decide to choose, a 400 cpsi core is a 400 cpsi core, regardless of name brand on the shell or in the advertising... so when shopping compare and save some of that $$$ when making a decision to purchase any “hi-flow” cat system.

Usually if producing high horsepower you would go with 200 cpsi (or 100 cpsi) but also want a cat that contains a metal monolith gut as opposed to the traditional ceramic honeycomb gut. The reason being is the metal gut can withstand higher operating temps of modified or tuned engines, they flow up to 40% more efficiently over standard ceramic cores, are more durable and they are resistant to vibration.

Before buying any cat system that is advertised as “hi-flow”, be sure you know what makes a cat “hi-flow”, choose what is best suited for YOUR application (not others) and match it to your vehicle’s performance level (*even if deciding to run catless, know the pros/cons).