Sponsored

3" Catted downpipe with stock exhaust (quick review)

Thatguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Lightning Blue Convertible (sold)
I wanted to help the engine breath a little better without making the exhaust any louder so I went with an MBRP 3" catted downpipe. The rest of the exhaust is stock. I don't notice any difference in sound during normal driving. It's a little louder in the upper RPMs when I get on it and I can hear a small difference while standing outside the car. Kind of a tinny sound. Sound wise I'd say I got what I wanted. As for a performance increase, the ground is wet so I couldn't play much. It seems like the engine goes to redline a little bit quicker. I'll have to test it some more when when he ground is dry.
Sponsored

MegaMagneticStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Turbo Mustang all Magnetic
please let (me) / us know if you run into a CEL or if you experience any drop in MPG. i also have an 18 ecoboost and want to do a DP, but not ready to tune yet. I found that exact DP on ebay, and would be interested if i should bid or not...

OP
OP
Thatguy

Thatguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'll only be driving the car once this week to get the windows tinted. After that it will probably sit for a few weeks until the weather/roads are better.

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
I did the same. MBRP catted DP with a stock exhaust.
I also have other mods as seen in my sig.
I already had it pro tuned (tune+). After a datalog and tune correction, there was a significant increase in power and also Zero turbo lag.
Never had a CEL in over a year, and no defoulers were added.

Adding this pipe without a tune will give zero to negative performance gains. (Overboost with stock tune)

Also, nice turbo sound with the pipe.

Wow,. I sound like a crackhead "on the pipe"

OP
OP
Thatguy

Thatguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Would Cobb stage 1 or 2 be good enough until I get a pro tune?

Sponsored

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
Yes The cobb tune would work.

OP
OP
Thatguy

Thatguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
P0420 code today.

NHEcoboost

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium/PP
P0420 code today.
I have an O2 spacer sitting in my garage cabinet that I will give you. It's barely used, 2 piece with angle. Depending on where you live/work, we can meet or I can send to you USPS at whatever shipping cost is.

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
Cobb stage 1 & 2 are written for stock DP. If you have a 3" DP, the only Cobb OTS tune that would work for that is Stage 3, which also needs a better intercooler. I see you already have one on your wishlist, so put that in ASAP, flash the tuner to Stage 3, and you should be in much better shape.

OP
OP
Thatguy

Thatguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have an O2 spacer sitting in my garage cabinet that I will give you. It's barely used, 2 piece with angle. Depending on where you live/work, we can meet or I can send to you USPS at whatever shipping cost is.
Thank you for the offer! I appreciate that. I ordered one last night. It should be here tomorrow.

Cobb stage 1 & 2 are written for stock DP. If you have a 3" DP, the only Cobb OTS tune that would work for that is Stage 3, which also needs a better intercooler. I see you already have one on your wishlist, so put that in ASAP, flash the tuner to Stage 3, and you should be in much better shape.
I was wondering about that. A full exhaust is listed for the Stage 3 tune. I just have the DP but the rest of the exhaust is stock. Also, for the intercooler, my inlet air temps have been in the 20s and 30s.. That's much cooler than what people see after an intercooler upgrade during the Spring and Summer. I probably won't change the tune until the other mods are on but what do you think? I've talked to Ryan at PD about a custom tune in the end.

Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you for the offer! I appreciate that. I ordered one last night. It should be here tomorrow.

I was wondering about that. A full exhaust is listed for the Stage 3 tune. I just have the DP but the rest of the exhaust is stock. Also, for the intercooler, my inlet air temps have been in the 20s and 30s.. That's much cooler than what people see after an intercooler upgrade during the Spring and Summer. I probably won't change the tune until the other mods are on but what do you think? I've talked to Ryan at PD about a custom tune in the end.
I am interested in your post, about the catted downpipes, with stock rest of exhaust and stage 3. Cobb does tunes with 3.0 inch full Turbo-Back exhaust, I want to get a catted downpipe, I have a resonator delete and awe axle back, but the Y pipe and stock piping is still 2.25

wonder if I can run the Cobb stage 3 if I added downpipes? sorry to gravedig.

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
I am interested in your post, about the catted downpipes, with stock rest of exhaust and stage 3. Cobb does tunes with 3.0 inch full Turbo-Back exhaust, I want to get a catted downpipe, I have a resonator delete and awe axle back, but the Y pipe and stock piping is still 2.25

wonder if I can run the Cobb stage 3 if I added downpipes? sorry to gravedig.
That's what I would do. As always, a custom tune would be best, but if you're not looking for every last horsepower and don't push your car right to the edge, Stage 3 should be pretty good.
Sponsored