Johnnybear

Future Mustang owner
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Passat Wagon, Jeep Wrangler, 1979 Mustang
The plastidip is a removable rubberized coating. It can be as thick as you want. just as thick as the 3M product but cheaper and removable. I think the original use of the product was as a protective coating.
Sponsored

Husker

Just The Basic Facts
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harley
Vehicle(s)
F-150
The plastidip is a removable rubberized coating. It can be as thick as you want. just as thick as the 3M product but cheaper and removable. I think the original use of the product was as a protective coating.
I seem to remember advertisements where they would dip a pair of pliers into a can of rubberized liquid a.k.a. plasti dip liquid.

Johnnybear

Future Mustang owner
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Passat Wagon, Jeep Wrangler, 1979 Mustang
Same stuff but they now have it in spray cans. I would use the clear stuff for a temporary bra like protection. I would also tape off any hard to reach areas and to prevent over spray. I did my wheels that were getting old and the clear coat was cracked and it looks great. I also did my Passat grill as the nicks and such were not that pretty. Besides, I liked the flat color I have on there now. It is time consuming to get off, but comes off clean.

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
To all clear bra fans may I suggest these products as well
image.jpg

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP, 11 F150 FX4, 07 CBR600RR
Lol but that's not really a fair comparison. I know my GTI has gotten a lot of rocks and chips in it's hood so I may consider this an option.

Sponsored

Droid_Junky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB Mustang
New to the forum. will be placing my order for a 2015 this weekend. I used plastic-dip on the front end of my truck to hide love bug damage. Used about 6 coats and it only lasted about six months. It was a lot of work and doesn't come off that easy. No way I'm putting it on the new car. The plasti-dip clear coat spray only adds a shine to the base coat.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium EcoBoost Convertible
Just got back from my dealer...they had 5 vehicles in the showroom with 3M protection. On the white cars, you could see the greyish edge of the film. Obvious dust/dirt buildup at the edge. And this was in the 'clean' showroom! Salesperson said "you can just scrub the edge and the dirt will come off"! The edge was also obvious on the black cars. This time, the dirt on the edge was lighter than the paint. So I guess if you want the 3M film you should order the 'dirtiest' color possible...something greyish like Guard or Magnetic.

The film application looked very professional...but I not sure about the 'grey' dirt edge.
By the way, a 'front nose & partial hood' coverage is $800, and if you want the film to extend all the way to door edge...$1,500.

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
My friend's 2012 Mustang is covered completely in 3M...car looks brand new.

tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium EcoBoost Convertible
I was back at my dealer today, saw a couple of new vehicles which just had the 3M film applied two days ago. Two of the three only had partial coverage (about half of the hood and fenders covered). On the Magnetic, you could see the edge of the film by the glint of the edge. On the white one, dust had already accumulated on the edge. You could see it from 5-10 feet away. The third vehicle had the film all the way back to the leading edge of the doors. No visual indication of the film.
So if you can afford the $1,500+ cost...at least, have the film applied back to the door edges.

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP, 11 F150 FX4, 07 CBR600RR
If I do this it will be the entire hood and the front bumper all the way up to the edge of the bumper where it meets the front quarter panel.

Sponsored

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
I was back at my dealer today, saw a couple of new vehicles which just had the 3M film applied two days ago. Two of the three only had partial coverage (about half of the hood and fenders covered). On the Magnetic, you could see the edge of the film by the glint of the edge. On the white one, dust had already accumulated on the edge. You could see it from 5-10 feet away. The third vehicle had the film all the way back to the leading edge of the doors. No visual indication of the film.
So if you can afford the $1,500+ cost...at least, have the film applied back to the door edges.
If I get it, I'm doing hood, bumpers and sides up to doors and maybe even lower panels.

FreddyG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4 wheels and a seat
As mentioned earlier, XPel Ultimate is the Best available clear bra available now. It's the only one out there that is actually self healing.

We had 3M on our old X5 (before XPel was available) and it does the job, but it's not the best out there. It does yellow over time too.

Here's a video to prove it, but I have also seen this first hand and it's pretty Cool and amazing:

[ame]

njarmstrong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium PP
Don't use 3M - if you are going to use a PPF product go with Xpel Ultimate or Suntec - both self healing, better looking, and superior to 3M in almost every way.

POOPonYOU

I Do Stupid Well
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red GT Premium
Don't use 3M - if you are going to use a PPF product go with Xpel Ultimate or Suntec - both self healing, better looking, and superior to 3M in almost every way.
This is exactly what I heard. 3M makes a good product but it isn't up there yet with Xpel Ultimate. I just had my Race Red wrapped yesterday. They charged $640 and for that they wrapped the first 18" of the hood, the front portions of the fender, the entire bumper, all the lights in the front, both side view mirrors and the bottom 2" of the trunk door (which I will be constantly touching to close the trunk. He also put some on the doors, inside of the door handles. I'm super happy with the results. I know it's pricey but I paid for quality.

souprmage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/PP 50th Appearance
This is exactly what I heard. 3M makes a good product but it isn't up there yet with Xpel Ultimate. I just had my Race Red wrapped yesterday. They charged $640 and for that they wrapped the first 18" of the hood, the front portions of the fender, the entire bumper, all the lights in the front, both side view mirrors and the bottom 2" of the trunk door (which I will be constantly touching to close the trunk. He also put some on the doors, inside of the door handles. I'm super happy with the results. I know it's pricey but I paid for quality.
Do you know if they can put it over stripes?
Sponsored