Sponsored

350R wheel care

Zeromaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I really dislike the brake dust on this car. You guys use any special brake dust remover when cleaning your wheels? Any special brush? Whats your cleaning method like? I have some wheel cleaner that says its for alloy so i’m nervous to use it on these wheels.
Sponsored

MrCincinnati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I really dislike the brake dust on this car. You guys use any special brake dust remover when cleaning your wheels? Any special brush? Whats your cleaning method like? I have some wheel cleaner that says its for alloy so i’m nervous to use it on these wheels.
Soap and water here.

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
They are painted. Wash them like paint. I ceramic coated mine when they were brand new so they clean up with minimal fuss.

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
They are painted. Wash them like paint. I ceramic coated mine when they were brand new so they clean up with minimal fuss.
^^This^^

The fact they are carbon is irrelevant when it comes to detailing. Coating will help with nothing sticking to the surface and protect from light scratching during detailing. But there is no miracle cure for the dust; just steps you can do (like the coating) to assist in detailing. Never work on anything dry. A light spray of your favorite detail spray on your MF rag for dusting and good old soap and water for cleaning when necessary.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Sonax wheel cleaner plus. Thank me later.

Sponsored

GT_Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 408EFI , 2016 GT350
Also have a ceramic coating applied, After cleaning I use Griots Speed Shine, spray a little on a microfiber cloth and wipe them down. Makes them look 2X better and It seems to help prolong the time between cleanings.

Last edited:

SpursFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I used sonax on the R for the first time hoping it would clean the barrels some but no luck. The painted portion cleans with soap and water easily (way easier than the Non R wheels!) Any ideas for the ceramic coating?

EF300

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2020 GT500 CFTP
If u are just cruising the strip, no racing or autocross look into GLOC GS-1 pads. Much less dust than OEM and no discernible performance difference on the street.

Other than that:
Ceramic coating
Armor-all brake dust repellent spray
Soanx wheel cleaner and a good set of wheel woolies

Also I take my wheels off every few months to give them a proper cleaning esp the inner barrel which is hard to get with the wheels on.

but in the end....... Race Car

Dr. JL

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R: GR227 and GR378
Compressed air gets the majority of the dust off (even off of the ceramic coating) between detailings. Detailings involve a lift, spray bottle and a soft rag.

Sponsored

SpursFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I saw that guys steam video, even though I'm a detail guru that's to far for me. Like someone else said...Racecar. I am going to try some air next time and see what that does.

lightrules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
resurrecting this thread (instead of starting a new one). if anyone has tips on how to clean the ceramic barrel of the R wheel, do share. thinking to remove wheel, use sonax or something similar on the coating, then pressure wash or lightly scrub? need ideas...

Dr. JL

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R: GR227 and GR378
Wheels off, I used BleechWhite (sp?) and a bristled brush to clean the ceramic coating when I got my used R. The barrels were filthy, but good as new when I finished.
Sponsored