3.7 Forced induction

mustangv6magn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
@mmagnetic2016
Vehicle(s)
2016 procharged v6 magnetic 2016 ford eplorer
Ah, nevermind on the photos just gonna drop your VLOG link in here showing us all that, lol. Keep up the videos brother!

Thanks bro for sharing and yeah I am looking to get make a custom exhaust to pair with the corsa extremes just need some time lol to get some more funds this hobby gets expensive lol

Patrick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6
Does anyone know what the diameter of the f150 turbo exhaust housing outlet is without the ball flange adapter attached?

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
Does anyone know what the diameter of the f150 turbo exhaust housing outlet is without the ball flange adapter attached?
Without the flange the turbo is just big enough for a 3" downpipe.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
Since I ended up trading my car, I have a set of turbos available if anyone is interested.

Sponsored

cobo10201

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Coby
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang V6
Hi all. I have a 2017 Mustang 3.7L V6 with a manual transmission and used the Super Six Motorsports twin turbo kit and am using the 13-14 turbos from the F-150.

I’m using the “initial tune” from MPT Performance, so I know it’s not supposed to be perfect, but I figured it would be drivable. From forum posts I’ve read, it seems like many people get a near perfect tune from the start and only need to iron out small quirks.

At idle and in first gear the car runs pretty well. If you rev it up to 3k quickly and then let off, the revs will drop below 1k and it will sputter for a split second, but then it returns to normal. After 1st gear (2nd and above) the car just does not accelerate smoothly unless I’m absolutely babying the throttle. If I try to accelerate like normal, it is very jerky and feels like it try’s to rev up then down. If I do baby it, I can accelerate smoothly but very very slowly. As in slower 0-60 than my 1999 Ford Ranger.

I guess I’m wondering if anybody has had any experience with any flash tunes like this before and if there is any advice or suggestions anyone has?

I’ve emailed a data log of the first jerky drive to MPT and explained my experience to them as well, so hopefully they get back to me soon.

Patrick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6
Hi all. I have a 2017 Mustang 3.7L V6 with a manual transmission and used the Super Six Motorsports twin turbo kit and am using the 13-14 turbos from the F-150.

I’m using the “initial tune” from MPT Performance, so I know it’s not supposed to be perfect, but I figured it would be drivable. From forum posts I’ve read, it seems like many people get a near perfect tune from the start and only need to iron out small quirks.

At idle and in first gear the car runs pretty well. If you rev it up to 3k quickly and then let off, the revs will drop below 1k and it will sputter for a split second, but then it returns to normal. After 1st gear (2nd and above) the car just does not accelerate smoothly unless I’m absolutely babying the throttle. If I try to accelerate like normal, it is very jerky and feels like it try’s to rev up then down. If I do baby it, I can accelerate smoothly but very very slowly. As in slower 0-60 than my 1999 Ford Ranger.

I guess I’m wondering if anybody has had any experience with any flash tunes like this before and if there is any advice or suggestions anyone has?

I’ve emailed a data log of the first jerky drive to MPT and explained my experience to them as well, so hopefully they get back to me soon.
They seem to have a lot of happy customers . Keep sending in your logs. They probably set everything very conservative because they don't want to blow your engine. It's going to be a process, that's why they charge so much.

I've been self tuning all year and I can tell you that the cause of the jerking is most likely because you're making more torque then what the ecu expects. This makes the ecu nervous so it shuts the throttle or pulls timing in order to protect the engine.

I decided to self tune because I wanted to learn how. Little did I know that our ecu is one of the most complicated ones out there, and is definitely not for beginners.

After self tuning the entire summer, driving the car back and forth to work every day logging, I think I am getting close. Hopefully for you since mpt actually know what they're doing unlike me, it won't take as long.

The cars off the road now for winter so hopefully I'll get it driving right early in the spring.

Patrick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6
My Super Six Motorsports ecoboost adatper twin turbo kit MPT is currently tuning (I am doing the supercharger/turbocharger custom tune) drives like stock with more power on steriods and they had to tune a new circle D converter with the kit from scratch.
Are you doing a full custom tune? Did you have to do a startup idle and step rev to 1k, 2k, 3k, 4k hokding each for 10 seconds while data logging?
Now it could be the tune, could be install error or your setup causing issues. Weird you'd have the symptoms with a manual trans. Sounds like a vacuum leak, AFR or fuel cut can cause similar issues. But really sounds like vaccuum leak.
I believe you have an s197 correct? If so the ecu is apples and oranges. S550 v6 ecu is actually more complicated to tune than even the v8s from the same year. They don't have a maf sensor at all. They are 100% SD. Also, the manual actually has parameters that pull power that the automatics don't.

cobo10201

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Coby
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang V6
They seem to have a lot of happy customers . Keep sending in your logs. They probably set everything very conservative because they don't want to blow your engine. It's going to be a process, that's why they charge so much.

I've been self tuning all year and I can tell you that the cause of the jerking is most likely because you're making more torque then what the ecu expects. This makes the ecu nervous so it shuts the throttle or pulls timing in order to protect the engine.

I decided to self tune because I wanted to learn how. Little did I know that our ecu is one of the most complicated ones out there, and is definitely not for beginners.

After self tuning the entire summer, driving the car back and forth to work every day logging, I think I am getting close. Hopefully for you since mpt actually know what they're doing unlike me, it won't take as long.

The cars off the road now for winter so hopefully I'll get it driving right early in the spring.
Thanks for the motivation! I’m hoping to hear back from them soon.

As for the ECU pulling the throttle due to torque, is that something MPT would be able to address on a follow-up tune?

Last edited:

Sponsored

cobo10201

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Coby
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang V6
My Super Six Motorsports ecoboost adatper twin turbo kit MPT is currently tuning (I am doing the supercharger/turbocharger custom tune) drives like stock with more power on steriods and they had to tune a new circle D converter with the kit from scratch.
Are you doing a full custom tune? Did you have to do a startup idle and step rev to 1k, 2k, 3k, 4k hokding each for 10 seconds while data logging?
Now it could be the tune, could be install error or your setup causing issues. Weird you'd have the symptoms with a manual trans. Sounds like a vacuum leak, AFR or fuel cut can cause similar issues. But really sounds like vaccuum leak.
I am on the initial tune and the instructions I received was to start the data log, idle 1 minute, drive 3 minutes, idle 1 minute. It was that 3 minute segment of driving where things were rocky.

I reached out to Tom at Super Six to address a potential vacuum leak. There are 2 hoses that come from the brake booster. One is certainly vacuum and is attached to the intake manifold. The second line is not addressed in the instructions that were sent by Super Six and there is very little information about it online. It appears to be some sort of vent line that initially plugged into the stock air box, but obviously that is gone now.

Patrick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6
I am on the initial tune and the instructions I received was to start the data log, idle 1 minute, drive 3 minutes, idle 1 minute. It was that 3 minute segment of driving where things were rocky.

I reached out to Tom at Super Six to address a potential vacuum leak. There are 2 hoses that come from the brake booster. One is certainly vacuum and is attached to the intake manifold. The second line is not addressed in the instructions that were sent by Super Six and there is very little information about it online. It appears to be some sort of vent line that initially plugged into the stock air box, but obviously that is gone now.
I could not get an answer from anyone about what that line does. I've looked at a lot of photos of procharger installs and I came to the conclusion that they simply deleted it so that's what I did.

cobo10201

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Coby
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang V6
I could not get an answer from anyone about what that line does. I've looked at a lot of photos of procharger installs and I came to the conclusion that they simply deleted it so that's what I did.
And just to be clear, you just plugged the line I assume?

Patrick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6
Yes I know what S550 cars have. SD is easier to tune and better resolution. This is why MAF based cars usually upgrade to SD if/when tubing software allows them to. What I said still applies about AFR, vacuum leaks and fuel.

MPT already has a real good base tune and understanding for the S550 3.7 ecoboost off Kody's build to start with. Plus the few other S550 3.7 ecoboost cars.

You got a S550 with 3.7 ecoboost turbos,
how's that working out for you so far? You were going to tune your own car via HPT? Maybe you can hook this guy up with a tune.
I'm extremely happy with my install with the exception of the exhaust which I'm going to clean up over the winter. I'm making a solid 6lbs on my lowest possible setting, I have no leaks, my IATs are great. Really I went super budget build and I'm very happy with the results. I also learned a lot of things. As far as tuning, I'm not there yet. I'm teaching myself, and there is literally no information on any forums about how to tune this ecu. The few people who seem to have figured it out will not tell you anything, and they lock their tunes so you can't peak at what they do. I don't blame them I know first hand how much work it must have been. Also, I have no dyno so things you could do in an hour on a dyno take me a week. As far as SD being easier to tune, I disagree and I'll leave it at that.
Sponsored