Sponsored

2024 Mach 1 replacement

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
There is just so much FAIL up and down the board I would be embarrassed to have a Ford business card. Maybe the 3000 engineers they fired all said the not-new Mustang was an affront to mankind and history.
My wild guess is corporate gave them some scraps in terms of budget and told them to make an "all new" car - which most of the time mean new tail lights and maybe a fender, here it's LCDs and remote rev (didn't know underaged people bought these cars). It's low cost marketing effort, mechanically it's very much the same car or at least nothing that Ford said yesterday suggests otherwise.
Sponsored

Dreadomir

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2022 Race Red Ford Mustang Mach 1 Premium
After giving it some time to settle, and gathering all I could from what was revealed on the new S650, here's my take on it.

The only things I like about the exterior are the headlights, heat extractors (camaro like, but nice, and hopefully functional) and the Dark Horse front end. Personally, I prefer the S550 headlights. They look more iconic to the Mustang design, and the LED running lights are positioned better, but the ones on the S650 are pretty good too. The front fascia is where I'm lost, at least on the GT. It's simply disgusting, why does the grille need to stretch down so much? On the Dark Horse however, the grille looks fine, and works aesthetically with the entire front end. I think it's the best looking out of the S650s, the GT being the worst. From a side perspective, there's not much to say about it. There's just too much space where nothing happens, and it looks kinda plain. They got rid of the lines that stand out on the S550, which would have worked well on the S650. Now, this is where they dropped the ball big time on the S650 and where the most drastic change happens. Definitely not the worst, but it's up there as one of the ugliest rear ends I have ever seen on a car. The bend is too extreme, and the tail lights are just ugly, flat, and very 2D. The trunk lid dip doesn't help either, in fact it makes the entire rear end look worse and throws off the look entirely. Would have been better if it at least lined up with the tail lights just like on the S550, which is coherent to previous Mustangs.

The interior, well it's different but at the same time it doesn't work too well with the theme of a muscle/sports car. The dash, and infotainment look like two iPads melted together and it feels forced, and lazily placed. At the same time, we also lose a lot of switches and dials; the S550 toggle switches in particular, gonna miss those. Having to go through the iPad nonsense to turn up the AC seems unsafe to me. I like the throw back to the fox body mustang, but it could have been executed better, and it feels like they barely tried. If you're gonna change such an iconic look such as the double brow dash, at least put some effort into it. It would have been nice if they kept the dash separate from the infotainment system, and focused more on housing them better instead of having two iPads right in your face. The unreal engine thing is cool, and I welcome the wireless charging, but the rest of the interior looks pretty much the same as the S550.

As for performance, the 4th gen coyote seems good. The double throttle body/intake system has potential. I really like that they are now using brembo brake calipers throughout the entire car, not just the front. Defintely a step in the right direction, but that's pretty much it. Can't say the same for the gimmicks, like the drift brake and the damn remote rev feature.

If you currently have a S550, you won't be missing out on much and in my opinion not worth switching unless you prefer the look of the S650. The Dark Horse is pretty much a Mach 1 with a revised coyote 5.0 engine and dual intakes and the two piece brake rotors from the GT350/500. Since the competition is basically gone, Ford is gonna get real greedy with pricing. I expect the starting price on the Dark Horse at the $63k+ mark.

Last edited:

murick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Euro Mach 1
I watched the part of the reveal live (mind you it was 2AM here) and could not help but feel both sad and glad at the same time.

The presentation was borderline cringe, I would never thought that a corporation of Ford caliber would manage such a mess (almost everything looked forced and lackluster).

I guess the body shape beauty is in the eye of beholder, so to each his own. I personally thought that S550 bodylines were nearly perfect (in particular GT350(R), but even Mach 1 and GT were no slouch) and the fact that they just suppressed the distinguishing body features into oblivion did not make me particularly excited.

The excitement about the remote revving reminded me some of new phone presentations. Could not really align myself with the Ford message there (nor the presenters).

For the interior, I never liked the touch panels in any of my previous cars, so I could not really appreciate the Ford move in there either, but I guess there must be some potential buyers, Ford had to research in advance, who are eager to get the car with screens. Good for them.

Concerning the engine, drivetrain, suspension, etc., it does not look like a big evolution either. I am glad that V8 is still on the table, but that is pretty much it.

So in the end, I was glad that I had the means, opportunity and luck to get my Mach 1, and while I was sort of glad that the new Mustang is not a hybrid or some other abomination, I was also sad that the future of Mustang how I would want it looks pretty grim and mine could be both my first and last Mustang in my life.

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
To me, the design is about as different as the 98-99 transition, even though S650 is a new platform. I thought the presentation by Ford was horrible, I felt sad. I think the S650 met expectations, overall good to shake up the design and include latest tech but if you already have a great S550 not too much incentive to upgrade soon. I came away liking the design and love the dark horse design and interior but not sure it'd make me give up my 19'GT350, but who knows, I change my mind about every day!
Yeah I think the presentation was the main issue. Marketing team for this reveal should be fired lol

Sponsored

King Of Shine

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS Mischievous Purple Metallic
Theres always something better or with more power. My M1 will be my first Mustang when it shows up in a couple months. Not looking to compete with the Gen 7. That being said im gonna do a fair amount of chassis upgrades, plus air filter, headers, and tune. I’ll be good for a while. When im not good anymore its getting a centri.

And i dont want the ipad dash so that makes my choice easy to be happy with. M1s are rare. I have seen 1 in my town. And i have seen 0 Mischievous purple cars of any flavor.
I've got a '22 Mischievous Purple GT Premium California Special, well equipped with a 6-speed manual. From the research I have done, I definitely own a unicorn.😁

dethmaShine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 HP FJG
Consider yourselves grateful if you have a Mach 1 or already ordered one.

Dark Horse is cool and all but I still can't comprehend the exterior though can get used to it eventually. The interior is a joke. For any M1 aspirers, I just don't see how that fits in a performance car let alone a Mustang ride.

I was hoping for incremental changes only but the interior really throws of any chance of me getting a GT convertible that I had planned for. From the outside, its still a Mustang (I don't mind the charger or Camaro diatribe), but from the inside I feel like I could be in any other car on the planet. Kudos if you are on track for a M1!

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
After digesting all the different comments and all the different versions of this car, I have to be honest and say I think it's ok.
The Dark Horse name is stupid and looks like a Dodge Ram or something but the car looks pretty badass and it's the only one I would consider maybe in 2025 when the bugs are all worked out.
I actually really like the rear end on the Dark horse, needs the spoiler. The diffuser was a fail imo and the front end again only looks good on the Dark Horse.
The Interior is hideous IMO but some of the tech is cool if you're into that. To me they made the same features we have now with a fancier way to use them.
I am still very happy with my 21 Mach 1 premium that I paid $56,500 as it's rare, same performance or better and way cheaper than these new ones will be.
In conclusion, I give props to Ford for staying with the V8 when all the competition is bailing on it.

HoosierJTF

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
I really don't understand the complaints about obvious changes that were coming to the interior. Why would they keep a low res tiny screen in a modern car? The lack of a large Hi-Res screen and tech is severely lacking in the latest S550. Paying $60k(Mach 1) or $120k for a GT500 with the current interior is a slap in the face. Do most of you want the same interior to continue or for them to remove all screens? I personally love the Dark Horse and can't wait to upgrade.

MACHtobers Very Own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang MACH 1
I love how people recognize how cringey the presentation was.
The save the manuals t shirt dude.... I wanted to be like "damn where was that energy for the gt500......" 🤷🏻‍♂️

I work in the television industry and we love when there are blatantly forced scripted moments like that when you use non onscreen talent. Such a huge difference from the host/stang mode to people who clearly don't or want to speak on camera.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Stymee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
When people start modding the DH, it will make more power than a GT350 without vibrating apart or oil consumption plus u get a forged bottem end with forged pistons

Boost Friendly, AKA 2012-13 Boss😜

i bet with its CF wheel option and unique tires plus revised magna susp and better under pinnings it betters M1 lap times.

We’ll see if I’m right, still I LOVE the look of the M1….Its Perfect to me and I would love to have one

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
I love how people recognize how cringey the presentation was.
The save the manuals t shirt dude.... I wanted to be like "damn where was that energy for the gt500......" 🤷🏻‍♂️
To make it worse it was a 5 speed on the shirt 😑

2022 Mach 1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cameron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1...2014 Mustag GT whipple supercharger
When people start modding the DH, it will make more power than a GT350 without vibrating apart or oil consumption plus u get a forged bottem end with forged pistons

Boost Friendly, AKA 2012-13 Boss😜

i bet with its CF wheel option and unique tires plus revised magna susp and better under pinnings it betters M1 lap times.

We’ll see if I’m right, still I LOVE the look of the M1….Its Perfect to me and I would love to have one
I don't believe it's forged pistons, I believe they mentioned forged rods from the predator..

Coastal-Mach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2023 BMW M440i, 2020 Ram 1500, 2021 Jeep JK
To make it worse it was a 5 speed on the shirt 😑
He also had as much energy as a day old PB&J. I was watching, and told my wife” this is not a car guy”.

sakman84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Premium. 6MT, Blue, upgraded wheels
I really don't understand the complaints about obvious changes that were coming to the interior. Why would they keep a low res tiny screen in a modern car? The lack of a large Hi-Res screen and tech is severely lacking in the latest S550. Paying $60k(Mach 1) or $120k for a GT500 with the current interior is a slap in the face. Do most of you want the same interior to continue or for them to remove all screens? I personally love the Dark Horse and can't wait to upgrade.
A lot of people myself included, do not like when the screen integration is done lazy style like in this case. The screen is literally sticking up out of the dash, its not integrated into the dash. That aesthetic is ugly, it brakes the flow of every car interior when it is implemented that way. The industry is pushing digital dashes and Infotainments hardcore, and I get it.

For people who want it, if it is not included it is a deal breaker, a lost sale. Not offering such tech is seen as behind the trend when compared to competitors. I think this feeling is more pronounced amongst the younger demographic who grew up with touch screens. What is interesting is manufacturers are catering to this demographic (from consumer data they claim) with all this tech, but at the same time prices are going sky high. I question if the demographic they are targeting can actually afford the product. This is an industry trend not a Ford specific problem.

I wonder what the profit margins are on these tech items, an how much to the cost of the car they add?

If you want a digital dash, there is a proper way to integrate it to have harmony with the rest of the interior. The other issue with touch screens is they are simply not suited for certain commands. The tactile response from physical controls are suited to certain commands, while other commands lend themselves to touch screening. It is a big mistake to force ALL the commands like climate control into the touchscreen. Some things need to be able to done as blind commands, simply by feel, you are supposed to be focused on the road after all. Fine grain adjustment should be done with a tactile physical control, climate control commands, radio volume. More contextual controls, or those less frequently used, or are the set it once type of control, can be don using a touch screen. Balance is important here, and forcing them all digital is a mistake. interesting points of discussion about this can be found in this Savageese video on In Car Entertainment.

Sponsored