2022 GT turned off while driving on Highway

JDGT50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JD
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT PP1 6M
Hi all, just wondering if anyone has every experienced this in their S550. While cruising in the carpool lane at about 110km/hr in 6th gear the engine completely shuts off. The car seemed to have power, so I think just the engine shut off. I put it in neutral, turn on my hazards, and coast to the shoulder. Still in neutral, I get down to a low enough speed and attempt a restart and she fires back up, I put it in 2nd gear and continue on my way.

All that said, I did notice for a split-second that as the engine went dead, a warning message on my digital dash appeared, but since I was focused on getting over to the shoulder safely (traffic, and I had a kid in the car) I only caught a glimpse of the message which included the word "Memory..." - it was highlighted in a box and quickly disappeared.

This is a brand new car (since Feb '22) and completely stock GT PP1 MT82 aside from a resonator delete/H-pipe. No CELs, battery is obviously new, no start issues since ownership, car drives perfect otherwise. However, there was one other time 4 months ago where I was at a stop in a drive thru, in neutral and the car completely shut off for no reason. Any ideas? I don't have a scanner and have yet to bring it to a dealer.
Sponsored

DrZed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 M6
...geeze that is a little disturbing just driving on the highway like that.
Do a search about "engineering mode" and that will display codes that do not come up on a standard OBDII scanner... maybe there will be a more specific code there....

Gnatsum21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former: GT 21 Roush Twister Orange RIP | ECO 2016
I would be calling Ford and make an appointment. That's not good with a kid in the car. What I would do now is disconnect the battery for 20 mins.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
...geeze that is a little disturbing just driving on the highway like that.
Do a search about "engineering mode" and that will display codes that do not come up on a standard OBDII scanner... maybe there will be a more specific code there....
If you have a 2015-2020 with the ANALOG gauge cluster, you should be able to enter the “Engineer Test Mode”.

Follow this link:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/engineering-test-mode.27581/

If you you have a 2018+ with the DIGITAL cluster, you should be able to access the same test mode found here:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...n-18-digital-dash-old-way-doesnt-work.115231/

Last edited:

Emilbadal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Emil
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6 Auto DIB
This happened to me this morning...I was on cruise control set at 72 on the highway and the car suddenly lost power, I looked at the gauge cluster and it just said "Transmission Not in Park". I put the hazards on and started slowing down(It was an oh shit moment, next to a semi and all 4 sides of me were completely blocked), the car was still in drive, as I was coasting in gear, I thought maybe I should try hit the Start button, as soon as I hit the Start button the engine started right backup and everything was normal again...WTH

Sponsored

MattMPA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT, 2016 Interceptor Utility, 2005 Excursion
This is distressing to read. The 2003 Cobra I bought new as a daily driver had a similar problem that was never completely diagnosed. I drove with some kind of recorder in the car that had a button to press to save whatever was going on at the time. This car would shut off when coming to stop...

GilmourD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS - Ruby Red Metallic
This is distressing to read. The 2003 Cobra I bought new as a daily driver had a similar problem that was never completely diagnosed. I drove with some kind of recorder in the car that had a button to press to save whatever was going on at the time. This car would shut off when coming to stop...
I don't know if this is related to the OP's issue, but I had a similar problem when the MAF sensor on my '15 slid off the CAI tube. Basically, it was sucking in air after the MAF so the car was running lean and it would stall out when not in gear (usually when coming to a stop). Did you ever get any codes indicating you were running lean?

MattMPA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT, 2016 Interceptor Utility, 2005 Excursion
I don't know if this is related to the OP's issue, but I had a similar problem when the MAF sensor on my '15 slid off the CAI tube. Basically, it was sucking in air after the MAF so the car was running lean and it would stall out when not in gear (usually when coming to a stop). Did you ever get any codes indicating you were running lean?
While it's long ago...I don't recall any error codes.
Sponsored