Sponsored

garagelogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 LX 5.0 Coupe-Coyote Swapped
Vehicle Showcase
I don't give a shit about sales (and I say that as a share holder).
When the purpose of your business is to sell units, I'm pretty sure the company would disagree with that statement and, as a shareholder, saying this goes against everything you said about caring for the dollars in your pocket.
Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
they'd have to fire their Manga/Gandum and Match-Box design team first. I get not wanting to look like every other smooth-shaped/bean car and truck out there, but deliberate and in-your-face blocky-ness only goes so far. I look forward to the next Camaro on Alpha2 or Beta. If they can make a useful 4-seater Ct5-v-blackwing, they can change the sheetmetal and maybe shorten it down to Camaro duty - read the description of the car and it's components and it practically screams, 7th gen Camaro.
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: if GM wants to cue an older Camaro for styling, it should be the '70-'73. Best looking Camaro ever. A modern take on that body style would be killer, and the Buick Avista show car was a hint of what could have been with just a few tweaks.

But no, let's keep regurgitating the same boring '69 hairball.....

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
When the purpose of your business is to sell units, I'm pretty sure the company would disagree with that statement and, as a shareholder, saying this goes against everything you said about caring for the dollars in your pocket.
The Mach1 isn't driving Ford sales. SUV and trucks are.

I buy shares to support the product I like. When that stops being Ford, which seems to be its trend lately, I'll gladly sell them and pick up GM or Dodge, or Nissan, who ever it may be.

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
Theoretically the Mach 1 should be faster on the 1/4 dragstrip because of the transmission gearing. Maybe not much, but somewhat, perhaps .2

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'

I buy shares to support the product I like. When that stops being Ford, which seems to be its trend lately, I'll gladly sell them and pick up GM or Dodge, or Nissan, who ever it may be.
The Mach 1 absolutely helps to drive Ford sales. It brings in potential buyers for other models of the mustang as well as other Ford products.

Sponsored

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Which IMO is why they should have used a NA version of the GT500's 5.2L.

As much of a Ford Fanboy I am the fact GM is killing them in bang for buck and has been for a few years now is really annoying me. If it wasn't for the Camaro visibility, I'd be sitting in one right now. I really feel like Ford just got LUCKY that the Camaro has its visibility reputation/issues.

I can get a GT with a handling package coming close to but not quite beating a SS with handling package because you can argue things like visibility, comfort, utility, some other points. But if a 57K Mach1 with HP can't easily beat a 44K SS 1LE around the track and down the strip, then WTF is Ford doing?
I agree with the 5.2 NA engine. Ford could have gotten Shelby money for it in the Mach 1.

One of the reasons GM is selling stuff cheaper is because demand isn't there. Additionally they did not pay all the money back to Uncle Sam, about 11B shy. Additionally they were allowed to get out of many of their contracts when they went bankrupt and Ford had to suck it up by staying in non-bankrupty.

The recent first 1/4 2021 sales figures show approx 7K Camaros to 15K Challengers to 17K Mustangs. I am guessing the Camaro is on the chopping block.

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
The 5,2 NA direct/port injected engine is interesting. I'm thinking they could have gotten 510 HP or so and perhaps 440-450 TQ. Now, that would have been excellent!

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Tempest 2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M3440
Vehicle Showcase
They couldn't sell it in UK/EU, they wanted to sell world-wide, hence Coyotte 5.0. Nothing wrong with its huge amount of power either :clap:

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
That might be a cool thing to do. Get the 5.2 block put in forged parts and get a good tune with maybe e85 and we might get 550 out of it?

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
The Mach 1 absolutely helps to drive Ford sales. It brings in potential buyers for other models of the mustang as well as other Ford products.
I see people saying stuff like this a lot but I've never known anyone to walk into the dealer to see a top end sports car but drive out with a truck family car or much lower end version.

My brother didn't buy a Civic because he went to the dealer to look at an NSX or even a Type-R. He went to look at an Accord but found the Civic more sensible. My Dad didn't go to look at a Shelby but came home with a F-250. He got it because he's ALWAYS had Ford trucks. My Buddy didn't get a Silverado because he went to look at a ZL1.

In fact I can't name ANY story I've ever heard of anyone going specifically to look at a top trim car and left with a lesser model because of that. People may look at it while at the dealer, but I find it hard to believe anyone went to the dealer just to look at a GT350 and suddenly found themselves in a GT or EcoBoost. The average person isnt going to dealers to just look around casually like some car guys do.

Also, for it to help drive sales it would help it a LOT if the reviews/headlines don't end up saying a 13k cheaper car is performing better.

Sponsored

Arthonon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I see people saying stuff like this a lot but I've never known anyone to walk into the dealer to see a top end sports car but drive out with a truck family car or much lower end version.

My brother didn't buy a Civic because he went to the dealer to look at an NSX or even a Type-R. He went to look at an Accord but found the Civic more sensible. My Dad didn't go to look at a Shelby but came home with a F-250. He got it because he's ALWAYS had Ford trucks. My Buddy didn't get a Silverado because he went to look at a ZL1.

In fact I can't name ANY story I've ever heard of anyone going specifically to look at a top trim car and left with a lesser model because of that. People may look at it while at the dealer, but I find it hard to believe anyone went to the dealer just to look at a GT350 and suddenly found themselves in a GT or EcoBoost. The average person isnt going to dealers to just look around casually like some car guys do.

Also, for it to help drive sales it would help it a LOT if the reviews/headlines don't end up saying a 13k cheaper car is performing better.
I'm no expert, but I think it's a little different than what you are thinking. My understanding is that "halo" cars don't make people come to the dealership to see them, and then they buy something else, halo cars make people feel good about that particular manufacturer. They see a NSX or a Shelby or possibly even a Mach 1 on the street, and it looks cool. They might hear good stuff about how it drives, etc., and it makes them, almost subconsciously, feel good about the manufacturer, that they make cool stuff.

So when the time comes to buy a vehicle, and they look at vehicles from different manufacturers, that feeling is there and they might be more inclined to buy something from that particular company.

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'

Just because you donā€™t personally know someone that fits the description, doesnā€™t change what I said. Look up what a ā€˜halo carā€™ is and the reasons for manufacturers to make them.

Apparently reviews/headlines donā€™t carry much weight because the 13k cheaper car is sinking into the ground at the Chevy dealer while the mustangs outsell them by a significant margin.

garagelogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 LX 5.0 Coupe-Coyote Swapped
Vehicle Showcase

I see. I imagine you are the Mach 1 of investors then. You donā€™t buy or sell enough to move the needle on the stock price but feel you are ā€œhelping the companyā€ when you purchase a few shares?

wilkinda65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2020 Charger ScatPackWB
Mach 1 premium with HP, Recaros, and red brake calipers... you're already at $61k +... ZL1 is $64k base. Amenities are abundant and included in the ZL1 too... Not to mention the 650HP/650TQ.

That'll be the comparison. Dollar for dollar performance and what you get for your money as you drive it off the lot from the dealership. Not could-of, would-of, should-of excuses with regard to gearing and other failures from Ford. 2017 SS 1LE had been out since 2016 for Ford to benchmark off of.

Trunk opening and visibility are not $13k+ advantage of value for the Mustang.

Proving tough for me to justify $61k for something I can obtain for $43k in a SS with only the 1LE package as an option and get same amenities. Just waiting for the numbers and commentary of other related note worthy details to come out between the 2. Feelings of disappointment are rumbling in my gut for the predicted results I have.
The ugly looks of the Camaro alone interior and exterior is why I wouldn't buy one regardless of how much lower it was in price.

J o n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Potential Mach 1 owner
The ugly looks of the Camaro alone interior and exterior is why I wouldn't buy one regardless of how much lower it was in price.
Looks are subjective. Measurable performance ability and value are objective.

Everyone's decision to buy whatever they choose is subjective as well. Various reasons as to why anyone obtains any of their possessions... Entitled to those reasons too. I appreciate and respect that.

For my subjective enjoyment and desires... The sensations and feedback from a proper performing automobile takes precedence above all else. The more objective performance abilities, since I'm shopping performance automobiles, the more satisfied I find my experience is while using whatever the performance automobile is I'm driving at the time. Track focused cars are my preference.

Who knows... About 350 new Mach 1's are on autotrader currently. Number grows daily. We'll see what the discounts are by the time 2022's are released.
Sponsored

Last edited: