Sponsored

2021 GT sound tube, and quiet exhaust?

southwestheat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Coupe 10A 401A 19" 3.55 B&O
Playing with the idea of trading up a bit, and want as much info as I can before going to the dealer. (And I'm almost there!)

Is Ford still putting that awful sound tube in the 2021 GTs? I'm pretty sure they were in the '20s, but not sure about the '21.

I have a '19 and taking the sound tube out wasn't the end of the world, but it was a nuisance. And the '21 I'm eyeing has a stabilizer bar over the engine, which may complicate removing it.

Also, for those that have the active exhaust and use quiet mode a lot, how much louder (under acceleration, not cruising) is quiet mode than, say, a typical sedan, crossover, etc.? My '19 doesn't have AE and is quiet while cruising, but not my cup of tea under acceleration (blasphemy in these parts, I know).
Sponsored

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
Playing with the idea of trading up a bit, and want as much info as I can before going to the dealer. (And I'm almost there!)

Is Ford still putting that awful sound tube in the 2021 GTs? I'm pretty sure they were in the '20s, but not sure about the '21.

I have a '19 and taking the sound tube out wasn't the end of the world, but it was a nuisance. And the '21 I'm eyeing has a stabilizer bar over the engine, which may complicate removing it.

Also, for those that have the active exhaust and use quiet mode a lot, how much louder (under acceleration, not cruising) is quiet mode than, say, a typical sedan, crossover, etc.? My '19 doesn't have AE and is quiet while cruising, but not my cup of tea under acceleration (blasphemy in these parts, I know).
My '19 with active exhaust is not much louder than my Honda CRV under mild acceleration. At full throttle the valves open and even in quiet mode it can get pretty loud (one poster noted his GT exceeded a track's noise limit at full throttle in quiet mode).

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
My '19 with active exhaust is not much louder than my Honda CRV under mild acceleration. At full throttle the valves open and even in quiet mode it can get pretty loud (one poster noted his GT exceeded a track's noise limit at full throttle in quiet mode).
^ What he said.
I will add to that the strut tower braces make for a more difficult removal. Those that said they just ripped it off, must not have the performance braces. There's 3 ways to get at it.
1. Go up from underneath the car.
2. Remove the drivers side wheel liner and go in through the access hole.
3. Remove the coil pack by the firewall and reach in under the brace. You'll need a skinny arm/hand for this option. The most difficult but least invasive way. Of course I chose option 3. :headbang:

OP
OP

southwestheat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks, that helps, especially the WOT part since I can't/shouldn't test drive a vehicle that hard.

OP
OP

southwestheat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
^ What he said.
I will add to that the strut tower braces make for a more difficult removal. Those that said they just ripped it off, must not have the performance braces. There's 3 ways to get at it.
1. Go up from underneath the car.
2. Remove the drivers side wheel liner and go in through the access hole.
3. Remove the coil pack by the firewall and reach in under the brace. You'll need a skinny arm/hand for this option. The most difficult but least invasive way. Of course I chose option 3. :headbang:
Thanks, the brace on the one I'm looking at is due to the California Special package - no PP. Maybe the CA one is more cosmetic and easier to remove.

Sponsored

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
Thanks, the brace on the one I'm looking at is due to the California Special package - no PP. Maybe the CA one is more cosmetic and easier to remove.
Removing the sound tube can be a real job but adding a 1" irrigation valve to provide an on/off feature is pretty easy.

Prymetime1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT/CS,
I have a cs and removed the sound tube when i added my k&n air tube. I removed the bolts holding the brace which provided enough room to get my hands down near where the tube meets the firewall...it took a few tugs n twist but it popped off. I also removed each section giving me enough room and leverage in the area...it was all of 10 mins.

Hillsndale

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 Magneride Magnetic Grey
The performance pack strut tower brace is extremely easy to remove.
1. Open hood.
2. See nut.
3. Apply socket.
4. Turn nut counter clockwise (lefty loosey).

Don't worry, nothing bad will happen when you take it off.

The hardest part is reaching the firewall to put a plug in the hole left behind after yanking out the "symposer" or whatever the heck Ford calls the sound tube.

rxryanm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GTP PP1
WOT = valves fully opened full stop. Doesn't matter what mode you're in; if you're giving her the beans, she's gonna be loud.

Sponsored

SnakeMaster16

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Giovanni
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Premium PP1
I drove GT AE and standard back-to-back with Ecoboost HPP and standard and can say 100 % that V8 is similar to a 1970s 302 farm truck with rusted muffler while Ecoboost standard is same as any family car, with the HPP a little different but still very comfortable.

I was offered huge discounts on loaded GTs and couldnt do it because AE in quiet mode is loud after 10% throttle, nevermind the rest, standard also loud. Tried to find a quiet solution e.g. F150 / AMG sound to no avail so ordered Ecoboost HPP.

Ear plugs or buds are another option then you don't need to spend $4 K upgrading stero to Honda Civic premium level haha....joking
Hold on let me get this straight, you didn't take advantage of a great discount on a loaded GT, because you thought the AE was loud? As in, a Mustang GT, equipped with one of the greatest engines available right now, a pure auditory delight, and you rejected that because you thought it's loud? I'm sorry, but after reading that I'd like to say that you are a confused shopper and you should have been looking at Tesla Model 3s or something similar, not Mustangs 🤦

rxryanm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GTP PP1
Tried to find a quiet solution e.g. F150 / AMG sound to no avail so ordered Ecoboost HPP.
Never in all my years would I have thought I'd see someone use "quiet" and "AMG" in the same sentence. Or ending up with an ecoboost because you thought the GT was too loud, wew.

velocityblue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Stang GT Premium, 22 F150 XLT Sport, 07 Tacoma
that’s bc as the rpms rise, the valve opens for maximum breathability there. so you can’t be in quiet mode over a certain rpm

nustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT, performance pak, active exhaust
tried an ecoboost, and a GT today. GT had PP, and active exhaust.
Despite the nav screen, drive modes, and other toys I dont have on mine ..... the active exhaust was sooooo much fun.

When I started the car it was so loud .. figured prev owner modded exhaust....
However sales guy flipped it into quiet, and I'd say the sound was 'normal'.
Tried all modes several times while driving, and absolutely LOVE being able to switch from scare pedestrian mode to unassuming commuter.
Id take that option over any other now Ive experienced it. Course It'd need to be a GT to get that bark.

Ecoboost can come with active exhaust, and would be curious how it sounds 'loud'.

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
The performance pack strut tower brace is extremely easy to remove.
1. Open hood.
2. See nut.
3. Apply socket.
4. Turn nut counter clockwise (lefty loosey).

Don't worry, nothing bad will happen when you take it off.

The hardest part is reaching the firewall to put a plug in the hole left behind after yanking out the "symposer" or whatever the heck Ford calls the sound tube.
Remove the gas pedal, easy 3 bolts, and plug the hole from the inside. Piece of cake…
Sponsored