Sponsored

2020 Shelby GT500 Mustang leaked specs: 720HP @ 7500 RPM, 650 ft-lbs @ 4500 RPM, 4225lbs curb weight

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

But then again, consumers aren't smart enough to buy the "track pack" variant of the GT350 and complain when their "base" street car overheats when pushed. Same goes for the Z06. Because of the stupidity of consumers, every variant of these performance cars have to not overheat when pushed on track.

Thanks to people like you, my GT does not have coolers and the Camaro makes for a much better track car.
So buy a Camaro. If your a track guy.
Sponsored

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
I think some underrate the intelligence of the Ford engineers. The Ford engineers most likely found ways to reduce weight beside lighter body panels or carbon fiber pieces. How about using side exit exhausts instead of full length exhausts, shorter is lighter.How about using smaller and lighter mufflers ? Side exit exhaust would remove exhaust heat from the differential area so smaller and lighter coolers could be used. A smaller and lighter battery could be used. There are so many areas to remove weight beside using lighter body components. Remember ounces add up to pounds. Look at your cars and you will see many places to reduce weight. A 4200 pound GT500 is more for the rich cats who want all the comforts of a cozy couch.

YOLO

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06, Lexus GS350

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
I'm ordering a 2019 GT350 and a 2019 Camaro SS 1LE.

Both non-aspirated, manual trans, analog gauges and track suspension.

Camaro will be the Daily Driver I beat the snot out of and my GT350 will be my weekend warrior that I baby and show off. :rockon:

Camaro SS 1LE is THE best track car for the money $38,000.00: https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/new/s...ype=PRICE&sortDirection=ASC#listing=216242982

Just buy a GT350 and do a full PPF wrap so you can drive it daily. Interesting choice to buy two of the same type of car.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Really?

So increasing the size of an oil cooler adds ZERO weight other than the weight of the extra capacity of the fluid???

The GT350 does not have an intercooler, so add the weight of that cooler and all the water in that system and it's significantly more than your 82lb quote for the roush charger. If we hope it does not overheat like the Z06 did, a larger supercharger (like what they did on the ZL1 and ZR1) further increase weight.

Larger wheels, tire, and brakes add a significant amount of weight. As does the "additional" (I thought that was a given) weight of larger coolers (engine, transt diff) needed to deal with more heat created from an engine making more power.

Does it matter? It all adds up and it's erroneous if you're trying to say there will be no weight gain without accounting for things needed to handle more power.

I'm hoping it weighs less, but weight reduction costs money and it doesn't make sense if the car is over 6-figures.

No, I am saying don't be ignorant.
And that a supercharger, rads & fluid isn't 300lbs..

Additionally to your argument, larger tires & wheels do not add "significant" weight, it adds rotational weight. Also, larger carbon fiber wheels don't add that much weight...

The base version of the GT500 will be around 3,900lbs... not 4,200lbs. The GT500 R and KR will have more carbon fiber, so more weight reduction.

Sponsored

YOLO

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06, Lexus GS350
Just buy a GT350 and do a full PPF wrap so you can drive it daily. Interesting choice to buy two of the same type of car.

Shelby will be driven low miles, Camaro I will beat the hell out of it.

Yes, they are almost identical cars. V8 N/A, Manual Trans, Analog Gauges, and Track suspension.

Camaro is $38k, Shelby 2019 GT350???

I love the way the Camaro drives but the looks don't excite me.

The Shelby is the car you go into your garage at 3am to peek at. :rockon:

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
Shelby will be driven low miles, Camaro I will beat the hell out of it.

Yes, they are almost identical cars. V8 N/A, Manual Trans, Analog Gauges, and Track suspension.

Camaro is $38k, Shelby 2019 GT350???

I love the way the Camaro drives but the looks don't excite me.

The Shelby is the car you go into your garage at 3am to peek at. :rockon:
You can beat the hell out of a GT350 as well. Sad to see another garage queen...

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I think some underrate the intelligence of the Ford engineers. The Ford engineers most likely found ways to reduce weight beside lighter body panels or carbon fiber pieces. How about using side exit exhausts instead of full length exhausts, shorter is lighter.How about using smaller and lighter mufflers ? Side exit exhaust would remove exhaust heat from the differential area so smaller and lighter coolers could be used. A smaller and lighter battery could be used. There are so many areas to remove weight beside using lighter body components. Remember ounces add up to pounds. Look at your cars and you will see many places to reduce weight. A 4200 pound GT500 is more for the rich cats who want all the comforts of a cozy couch.
Supposedly Ford has been working on carbon composite support pieces like K members. It wouldn't surprise me if that showed up on the GT500. But if it didn't it wouldn't surprise me either.

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, 2017 Cadillac CTS 2.0T AWD
the GT500 outperforming the ZL1 1LE around corners is likely the #1 target and it's probably got that sewn up with a bow by now. But that's one metric. The other is acceleration. The way to get that down is power and gears. If the top speed is less than the '13 500, you can bet they are making this puppy a straight line monster as well as a track devourer. It's 2018. you can be better than one thing.
I wouldn’t hold my hopes up for the ZL1 1LE but a regular ZL1 should be in the reach. RoadandTrack just awarded the ZL1 1LE the track car of the year against an AMG GTS and 911 GT3. It lapped faster than both of those two for $73,000.

mikengail

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium Convertible A10
.....A 4200 pound GT500 is more for the rich cats who want all the comforts of a cozy couch.
I resemble that remark. Well, definitely except for the rich part. Lol...

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
If I were testing the GT500 I wouldn't try to compare to a car that beats the crap out of the driver and is basically set up for track only either. Every review I've seen of the ZL-1 1LE the drivers are getting bounced around like crazy.

I get why the ZL-1 1LE could be track car of the year. It's great on track but not the best choice for street driving.

I think Ford is trying to make the GT500 comfortable on the street.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
If I were testing the GT500 I wouldn't try to compare to a car that beats the crap out of the driver and is basically set up for track only either. Every review I've seen of the ZL-1 1LE the drivers are getting bounced around like crazy.

I get why the ZL-1 1LE could be track car of the year. It's great on track but not the best choice for street driving.

Certainly agree with your comments and if history repeats itself such as when the original Shelby's came out in 1965 with the GT350's suited more for road and track duty and with the GT500 cars more suited to straight line acceleration and more comfortable driving on the street.

Then again it would not surprise me to see Ford come out with a street and track version for the new GT500 much the same as when Ford came out in 2011 with a regular Boss 302 and the Laguna Seca model which was much more track oriented.

In the mean time we still have quite a wait to see how this all unfolds.

:wink:

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, 2017 Cadillac CTS 2.0T AWD

ENOUGH of this excuse. I hope no Ford rep is taking this comment seriously. This epidemic thats what i am going to call it, started with the GT PP in 2014, continued with the GT PP2 and now you want to pass it to a GT500? HELL NO! Just like the setup in the 350R, Ford can still tune the suspension right for the road and the track. Ford had enough time and resources to do this right. Now its damn time to see the results!

morgande

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP Ingot Silver | 2013 Ford F150
I don't believe the numbers either.

Lets assume they base this on the 5.2L but without the flat crank but with DI. 722 hp with that mill is WEAK. By contrast, a Whipple-based 2018 will make 755 HP at the wheels. Even the conservative tuned Roush will get you 700. Numbers just don't add up.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.