Sponsored

2020 Shelby GT500 Mustang leaked specs: 720HP @ 7500 RPM, 650 ft-lbs @ 4500 RPM, 4225lbs curb weight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Weight weighting costs money. If the car overheats, it's a failure. All those components are going to be larger and heavier to deal with the extra heat. The trans could easily be 100lbs heavier. So there's over 200lbs just from the supercharger, intercooler, fluids, and trans. Now add larger tires, wheels, brakes, oil coolers, and I think that remaining 100 will go by pretty quickly.

If it has a carbon hood, fenders, aluminum subframes, that would be awesome, but you're probably looking at a $100K+ car. That would also be a failure.

Do you want a light weight affordable car that overheats? A heavy affordable car that does not overheat? Or A light expensive car that does not overheat? Those are kind of your only options. Now if it's a heavy, expensive car that overheats. Buy a 1LE. Haha.

The ZL1 in typical trim weighs about 3950 with a manual. That's just over 200lbs more vs the SS 1LE which is about 3740 (bigger brakes, more fluids, coolers, etc etc). If we are to do a rough apples to apples, the GT500 should come in around 4000lbs on the nose base if we are to compare say a GT350 with the Track Pack.
What does the auto weigh?
Sponsored

Petroleum Jesus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Weight weighting costs money. If the car overheats, it's a failure. All those components are going to be larger and heavier to deal with the extra heat. The trans could easily be 100lbs heavier. So there's over 200lbs just from the supercharger, intercooler, fluids, and trans. Now add larger tires, wheels, brakes, oil coolers, and I think that remaining 100 will go by pretty quickly.

If it has a carbon hood, fenders, aluminum subframes, that would be awesome, but you're probably looking at a $100K+ car. That would also be a failure.

Do you want a light weight affordable car that overheats? A heavy affordable car that does not overheat? Or A light expensive car that does not overheat? Those are kind of your only options. Now if it's a heavy, expensive car that overheats. Buy a 1LE. Haha.

This assumes that everyone is going to push this car to it's limits when we all know that less than 25% of buyers fall into this category. Let them spend extra money for extra coolers and weight offsets and leave the road warriors a significantly lighter car for street duties. A car that overheats for cheapskates that track it is not a big deal. That's their fault for not paying extra. Don't punish the rest of us for their stupidity in search of a bulletproof car. On the track, such a thing doesn't exist anyway.

Nameless

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tedd
Vehicle(s)
'13 GT
This assumes that everyone is going to push this car to it's limits when we all know that less than 25% of buyers fall into this category. Let them spend extra money for extra coolers and weight offsets and leave the road warriors a significantly lighter car for street duties. A car that overheats for cheapskates that track it is not a big deal. That's their fault for not paying extra. Don't punish the rest of us for their stupidity in search of a bulletproof car. On the track, such a thing doesn't exist anyway.
No, Ford is not that dumb (I mean, not anynore). They can’t offer a car with less coolers than a “higher version” because this GT500 is supposed to be the top dog. What if one of the dudes who bought the “less cooled” brings the car to the track because “hey, it’s a Shelby and Ford says that it pretty capable on track” and then it overheats on the first lap?

Is it going to be the driver’s fault for the reason that he already knows that his car does not have enough coolers as the “better cooled” GT500?
Of course it will be.

Will that stop that guy from blaming Ford “poor design”?
Of course it won’t. He will find a bunch of “less cooled” GT500 owners and they will raise a lawsuit againsf Ford.

Petroleum Jesus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
No, Ford is not that dumb (I mean, not anynore). They can’t offer a car with less coolers than a “higher version” because this GT500 is supposed to be the top dog. What if one of the dudes who bought the “less cooled” brings the car to the track because “hey, it’s a Shelby and Ford says that it pretty capable on track” and then it overheats on the first lap?

Is it going to be the driver’s fault for the reason that he already knows that his car does not have enough coolers as the “better cooled” GT500?
Of course it will be.

Will that stop that guy from blaming Ford “poor design”?
Of course it won’t. He will find a bunch of “less cooled” GT500 owners and they will raise a lawsuit againsf Ford.
The entire premise of this argument assumes that ford would advertise the base GT500 as a track car. Take away that single assumption, and the rest of it falls apart. No claim, no cause. Everyone is happy.

Nameless

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tedd
Vehicle(s)
'13 GT
The entire premise of this argument assumes that ford would advertise the base GT500 as a track car. Take away that single assumption, and the rest of it falls apart. No claim, no cause. Everyone is happy.
Well, they won’t advertise it as a “drag focused car” and they won’t advertise it as a “grocery getter” or a “Off Road 4x4” either...

However, according to recent events, I’m not completely sure about the last one....

Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.

According to Car & Driver. A 10 speed ZL1 weighs 3933 pounds.

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
Interesting when I read ford was putting 20 inch wheels and BIGGER brakes then the GT350 on the GT500 it was very clear they are not concerned about weight. The only reason to go larger breaks then the GT350 is if there is more weight to stop.

I suspect at this point they will sell the GT350 as the track fighter and the GT500 as the drag strip brawler with more luxuries I am guessing the GT350 is about as expensive as you can get while not being a NICE car inside. With Ford dropping all their non SUVs except this mustang this makes sense to me. I would also guess the current platform is going to be used for a while just like the challengers.

I think the weight is accurate but I am guessing the power will be understated.

I do not think this was Fords original plan though.

Nameless

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tedd
Vehicle(s)
'13 GT
I suspect at this point they will sell the GT350 as the track fighter and the GT500 as the drag strip brawler with more luxuries I am guessing the GT350 is about as expensive as you can get while not being a NICE car inside.
Except it won’t be a Drag Strip Brawler. It will be a lot faster than the GT350 at the dragstrip of course, but that’s it. It has been tested around VIR for a reason.

With Ford dropping all their non SUVs except this mustang this makes sense to me. I would also guess the current platform is going to be used for a while just like the challengers.
That’s actually one of the latest rumors that might be accurate. I don’t like it but it actually makes sense :/

Sponsored

Petroleum Jesus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
After the tech pack disaster, there is ZERO chance any version of this car has less coolers than any other version.
People on here are so dramatic. A lawsuit happened. It was one of thousands Ford dealt with that year. Get over it. Consumers are ignorant and fail to take responsibility. It's that way in every industry. Companies don't change their products. They simply add disclaimers. Anything else is product suicide.

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

But then again, consumers aren't smart enough to buy the "track pack" variant of the GT350 and complain when their "base" street car overheats when pushed. Same goes for the Z06. Because of the stupidity of consumers, every variant of these performance cars have to not overheat when pushed on track.

Thanks to people like you, my GT does not have coolers and the Camaro makes for a much better track car.

Status
Not open for further replies.