Sponsored

2020 Shelby GT500 Mustang leaked specs: 720HP @ 7500 RPM, 650 ft-lbs @ 4500 RPM, 4225lbs curb weight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
I don't believe the numbers either.

Lets assume they base this on the 5.2L but without the flat crank but with DI. 722 hp with that mill is WEAK. By contrast, a Whipple-based 2018 will make 755 HP at the wheels. Even the conservative tuned Roush will get you 700. Numbers just don't add up.
No DI on the 5.2.
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
ENOUGH of this excuse. I hope no Ford rep is taking this comment seriously. This epidemic thats what i am going to call it, started with the GT PP in 2014, continued with the GT PP2 and now you want to pass it to a GT500? HELL NO! Just like the setup in the 350R, Ford can still tune the suspension right for the road and the track. Ford had enough time and resources to do this right. Now its damn time to see the results!
Unclear. Are you saying you want the GT500 to have super stiff suspension like the ZL1 1LE does?

I didn't say I wanted the GT500 to be slower than the ZL1 1LE. However, I'm hopeful that Ford can make the car fast without it being terrible to drive. GM has a history of the bigger hammer engineering - first with the Z/28 and now with the ZL1 1LE building cars that by reputation are extremely difficult to live with on the street. I can't imagine you want Ford to match that practice.

ngiotta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT / 1970 Mach 1 (Twin Turbo Coyote)
Unclear. Are you saying you want the GT500 to have super stiff suspension like the ZL1 1LE does?

I didn't say I wanted the GT500 to be slower than the ZL1 1LE. However, I'm hopeful that Ford can make the car fast without it being terrible to drive. GM has a history of the bigger hammer engineering - first with the Z/28 and now with the ZL1 1LE building cars that by reputation are extremely difficult to live with on the street. I can't imagine you want Ford to match that practice.
I agree. Ford's main challenger these days, is... the Challenger. It doesn't really matter how fast the Camaro is around a road course. It doesn't do well at the drag strip, or at the dealership. The Challenger, which now regularly outsells the Camaro, despite being an old platform, sells well because it's a livable muscle car, which has insane power level options.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)

Just to add to your comments when Chevrolet launched their 2014 Z28 they used left over NA 427 engines from their Corvette program at the time but more to your point about the suspension and tire combination for the Z28 being so track oriented and difficult to drive on the street that they only built and sold ~600 cars for the 2014MY with pretty much all of them heavily discounted.

Because of the direction that GM/Chevrolet went with the 2 year run for the Z28 how many of the ~3200 cars actually sold at MSRP let alone an ADM because of not doing their homework.

Had Ford gone down the same path (as Chevrolet's Z28 2 year run) with their 8 year production run of ~47,000 GT500's from 2007 to 2014 do you really think that car would have been successful as was based on Chevrolets formula?

Ford will produce a GT500 that appeals to the masses based on a combination of high horsepower along with good street manners and suggest that for the hardcore track rats they will produce a limited production GT500 run as they did with the ~1550 Boss 302 Laguna Seca's for 2012/2013 and the~2100 R models produced over the last 3 MY's.

Sponsored

Nameless

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tedd
Vehicle(s)
'13 GT
I agree. Ford's main challenger these days, is... the Challenger. It doesn't really matter how fast the Camaro is around a road course. It doesn't do well at the drag strip, or at the dealership. The Challenger, which now regularly outsells the Camaro, despite being an old platform, sells well because it's a livable muscle car, which has insane power level options.
Ehh... no, Ford is not even taking the challenger serious (this as something good and something bad at the same time). PP0001 comment made me thing, maybe it’s something similar to what he says.

What if Ford wants something (GT500) “almost as capable” as the ZL1 at Track, significantly faster on straight line with good street manners and easier to live with? I mean... that would be gold for the masses. Yeah, I know that MAYBE it wouldn’t be at the same level than a ZL1 1LE (buts that GT500R job) and of course it wouldn’t be as fast as a Demon but more close to the RedEye straight line performance (beating the regular hellcat) but hey, the GT500 will be able to turn!

The current Mustang GT is not the fastest on straights nor the fastest around track, however reviewers keep insisting that the Mustang GT without being “the best in every scenario” is still the best option to buy. Why? Very good capabilities with no compromise (on it being a daily driver).

Maybe the reason of it being fat it’s becsuse it will be the best “all around” high performance “daily driver”. At the end of the day most people will get a car that’s easy to live with.

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
No, I am saying don't be ignorant.
And that a supercharger, rads & fluid isn't 300lbs..

Additionally to your argument, larger tires & wheels do not add "significant" weight, it adds rotational weight. Also, larger carbon fiber wheels don't add that much weight...

The base version of the GT500 will be around 3,900lbs... not 4,200lbs. The GT500 R and KR will have more carbon fiber, so more weight reduction.
By themselves, no. But add in the auto transmission, larger wheels, larger tires, larger brakes, larger oil/diff/trans coolers, and it's easily possible.

Larger (than GT350) carbon wheels are heavier as well.

3,900lbs is a pipe dream. Pass me some of what you're smoking.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
~4000 is definitely achievable with the lightweighting they're doing. I don't know how bad the cooling demands of the new transmission will be, but definitely more will be required than the coolers of the GT350. Either way we're talking relatively small incremental weight gains for just that. They're not stupid (mostly); 4200+ lbs would be failure for a car with high aspirations on a road course.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
By themselves, no. But add in the auto transmission, larger wheels, larger tires, larger brakes, larger oil/diff/trans coolers, and it's easily possible.

Larger (than GT350) carbon wheels are heavier as well.

3,900lbs is a pipe dream. Pass me some of what you're smoking.

Again, how much more does a DCT weigh, than a tremec..?

• How much more do larger tires weigh, compared to GT350 tires..? (19lbs?)
  • How much more does a larger oil cooler weigh, than the one on the GT350..? (15lbs?)
  • How much more does "larger brakes" weigh, over the ones on the GT350 ..? (22lbs?)
  • How much more does differential & transmission coolers weight, (if) over the ones in the GT350..? (75lbs?)

I would think all those^ would be somewhere around 175lbs with fluids and plumbing. Leaving you just around 4k lbs, without considering any weigh reduction Ford may have done. CF hood & driveshaft will take off some quick weight. Or even a CF roof, etc..

I think the GT500 will drive like a more powerful & capable GT350.. it just has moAr..

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Again, how much more does a DCT weigh, than a tremec..?

• How much more do larger tires weigh, compared to GT350 tires..? (19lbs?)
  • How much more does a larger oil cooler weigh, than the one on the GT350..? (15lbs?)
  • How much more does "larger brakes" weigh, over the ones on the GT350 ..? (22lbs?)
  • How much more does differential & transmission coolers weight, (if) over the ones in the GT350..? (75lbs?)

I would think all those^ would be somewhere around 175lbs with fluids and plumbing. Leaving you just around 4k lbs, without considering any weigh reduction Ford may have done. CF hood & driveshaft will take off some quick weight. Or even a CF roof, etc..

I think the GT500 will drive like a more powerful & capable GT350.. it just has moAr..
Additive:
Wheels and tires: ~20 lbs tops over the R wheels
Brakes: ~15 lbs
Transmission: ~100 lbs
Coolers (oil, trans): 25 lbs tops
Supercharger & coolant circuit: 125 lbs because OEM integration

Subtraction:
Some lightweight suspension parts: -10 to 15 lbs minimum
Hood: 5-8 lbs
Interior parts: 5-10 lbs
And more...

All that gets you very conservatively a 265 lb add on a GT350R, and very likely to be closer to 200. It certainly is not 4200 lbs.

Sponsored

Petroleum Jesus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Additive:

Subtraction:
And more...

All that gets you very conservatively a 265 lb add on a GT350R, and very likely to be closer to 200. It certainly is not 4200 lbs.
Upgraded halfshafts and diff would add a bit more as well. I would say the upper limit for weight added is still likely in the 200-250 lb range on the 500. Probably 75lbs less on the R.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Upgraded halfshafts and diff would add a bit more as well. I would say the upper limit for weight added is still likely in the 200-250 lb range on the 500. Probably 75lbs less on the R.
Diff is fine, though good point on halfshafts. +5 more.

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Additive:

Subtraction:
And more...

Tires are about 10lbs and wheels will be more than that.

Did you see the size of the spy photos for the brakes? I'd guess well over 15lbs. If the GT350 is overheating the oil with it's cooler, you're going to need a much larger one to cool an additional 200hp. Oil, trans, and diff coolers with fluid are going to be much more than 25lbs.

Superchargers, intercooler and fluid are over 125lbs.

JT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
People on here are so dramatic. A lawsuit happened. It was one of thousands Ford dealt with that year. Get over it. Consumers are ignorant and fail to take responsibility. It's that way in every industry. Companies don't change their products. They simply add disclaimers. Anything else is product suicide.
Lol, I'm not dramatic. i waited until I could get the Tech pack and the track pack.
The 2016 debacle was well publicized and people who aren't "car people" got the impression Ford did something wrong.

No automaker will willingly risk giving their premium car brand a black eye in the media. Or should I say "only" car a black eye.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Tires are about 10lbs and wheels will be more than that.

Did you see the size of the spy photos for the brakes? I'd guess well over 15lbs. If the GT350 is overheating the oil with it's cooler, you're going to need a much larger one to cool an additional 200hp. Oil, trans, and diff coolers with fluid are going to be much more than 25lbs.

Superchargers, intercooler and fluid are over 125lbs.
How are the tires 10 lbs more than the GT350R Cup 2s at or nearly identical width (315), albeit 20" (so will be lighter actually)? Wheels will certainly be, but they're fully forged to minimize that.

Yes I've seen the brakes and had them described to me by others who've held parts of them. Not more than 15 lb delta growing the friction surface from 15.5 to 16" and a slightly larger caliper on each side. They are indeed huge. Diff cooler will very likely be unchanged from GT350R. Trans cooler I am educated guessing but I cannot see more than 10% more cooler volume. Aftermarket oil coolers don't add more than 10 lbs. No way all that is adding more than 25 lbs.

Intercooler and supercharger are ~90 lbs, depending on the size (source: assist in Whipple 2.9L install). Added cooling lines, reservoir and fluid brought it to around that weight add. Either way we're talking somewhere between 120-140 lbs, not 200 lbs.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.