Sponsored

2020 Shelby GT500 Mustang leaked specs: 720HP @ 7500 RPM, 650 ft-lbs @ 4500 RPM, 4225lbs curb weight

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCSIX13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
If you remember that Jim Owens said that the GT500 is being Developed right near the Hybrid cars. My guess is if the weight is correct then maybe the weight is coming from the batteries! 720 HP from the motor + hybrid power!

venom kills everything!
Sponsored

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, 2017 Cadillac CTS 2.0T AWD
Wouldn’t be surprised. BMW did this before. Advertised HP was actually WHP.

No reason the 5.2 couldn’t make factory stock, reliable, clean power at that level.

I mean, even at 720, it decimates the ZL1 and beats the HC, but it falls short of the Demon and RE.

It will probably still be faster than a demon without all the bolt ons. And definitely faster than the ZL1. But would love to see it have some serious margin.
I don’t think people are worried about the straight line performance. Especially against a ZL1. They are worried about tossing a 4200 lb into the corners and hoping the car can still be quick and agile without awd nannies. GT500 will be tested out against the ZL1 1LE on a road coarse. Expecting only straight line performance from a car at that price point will be ridiculous. Especially if the main competition is offering all around performance for a reasonable value. If straight line is the only goal here then 720 hp may still not be cutting it.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
If you remember that Jim Owens said that the GT500 is being Developed right near the Hybrid cars. My guess is if the weight is correct then maybe the weight is coming from the batteries! 720 HP from the motor + hybrid power!

venom kills everything!
Ha ha. Thats a very interesting theory. And would explain the weight. It would also explain being late to the fight.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Again, you people are being trolled. Use some common sense...

All things equal, why would a GT500 weigh more than a GT350..? The answer is the supercharger... and what does Roush's supercharger weigh..? (82lbs?)

It is reasonable to think, that the base GT500 comes in close to 3900lbs. (Re-run your textbook numbers with that metric.)

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
If these are the real numbers this is a massive let down. It weighs only 50 lbs less then a demon and has 120 less hp? The 350r was a great car it just lacked one thing. Power. So we were all hoping the gt500 would perform like the 350r but have more power but with this leak that is not the case. It weighs too much and has too little power to be competive. Ford never one ups the competion, they always get even. If there going to charge 100k plus and expect people to buy it it better be 770 hp plus and weigh less than 3900 pounds. If not just go buy a pp2 18 or 19 and throw a whipple on it and call it a day.
With respect to "Ford never one ups the competition, they always get even" I certainly don't get your train of thought at least based on the last 10 to 12 years of Pony car production that I have experienced.

When Ford launched their new 2007 GT500 in 2006 where was the rest of the Pony car world namely Chevrolet and Chrysler? Ford came out with a 500 HP Mustang and if memory serves me correctly the other 2 Pony cars were not even being produced until a year or two later.

Along comes February, 2011 with the launch of the 2012 Boss 302 Laguna Seca with the Camaro and the Challenger not even in the same league with respect to braking, steering and handling on any road course not to mention some cool specs such as a rear delete seat car, quad exhaust and a TracKey.

One year later in 2012 Ford then launches their 2013 GT500 with 662 HP which had a top end speed of ~200 MPH. Certainly nothing that the Camaro or Challenger could deal with at the time.

Then of course in July of 2015 Ford came out with the outstanding GT350/R's with their 5.2 FPC, CF wheels and wing, rear seat delete cars and by all accounts blew away the Camaro and the Challenger at the time with respect braking, handling, steering and overall driving enjoyment.

Based on my experience Ford has certainly upped their competition in many cases over the last decade or so and until such time that we get to see the final results of the new 2019/2020 GT500 I suggest that we give them a chance to show their hand (good or bad) despite all of the various speculation about this cars specs and unfortunately how slow the launch process has been over the last couple of years.

Let's hope the final result will be worth the very long wait!

:sunglasses:

Last edited:

Sponsored

Petroleum Jesus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Yeah. But it will be faster around track than the ZL1 and faster in straight than the new 717HP Hellcat. You can’t say it’s not a WIN; a well balanced car.
If these specs are true, I don't buy either of these claims. Weight distribution is terrible. By the(se) numbers it is a seriously unbalanced car.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
There's a lot of FUD around the GT500, but I think it will beat the ZL1 and ZL1- L1E, which I believe was the primary focus with this car.
For me, I already have my handling car, in the GT350R. I was hoping for a straight line GT500KR type moniker. I would like the power/weight to be on my side vs cars like the ZR1 or the redeye, along with decent balance and wide tires.
I'll sitback and see what STILL may be happening. Hopefully there may be something that fills that niche from Ford, with a VIN

Nameless

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tedd
Vehicle(s)
'13 GT

venom kills everything!
Eh nope, I’m completely sure it won’t be Hybrid.... AFAIK the Hybrid will arrive with the 7Gen.

And like Darkane said, if we happen to see a Hybrid GT500 it would be around 4500lb IMHO.

S650? Hybrid, 500 will weigh 4500

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Again, you people are being trolled. Use some common sense...

All things equal, why would a GT500 weigh more than a GT350..? The answer is the supercharger... and what does Roush's supercharger weigh..? (82lbs?)

It is reasonable to think, that the base GT500 comes in close to 3900lbs. (Re-run your textbook numbers with that metric.)
How much does the roush front intercooler weigh? How much does the larger radiator, larger oil cooler, larger diff cooler (due to extra heat), auto/DCT trans, larger trans cooler, bigger wheels and tyres, larger brakes weigh?

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
I don’t think people are worried about the straight line performance. Especially against a ZL1. They are worried about tossing a 4200 lb into the corners and hoping the car can still be quick and agile without awd nannies. GT500 will be tested out against the ZL1 1LE on a road coarse. Expecting only straight line performance from a car at that price point will be ridiculous. Especially if the main competition is offering all around performance for a reasonable value. If straight line is the only goal here then 720 hp may still not be cutting it.
the GT500 outperforming the ZL1 1LE around corners is likely the #1 target and it's probably got that sewn up with a bow by now. But that's one metric. The other is acceleration. The way to get that down is power and gears. If the top speed is less than the '13 500, you can bet they are making this puppy a straight line monster as well as a track devourer. It's 2018. you can be better than one thing.

Sponsored

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
How much does the roush front intercooler weigh? How much does the larger radiator, larger oil cooler, larger diff cooler (due to extra heat), auto/DCT trans, larger trans cooler, bigger wheels and tyres, larger brakes weigh?
That is not a logical question...

It is how much MORE does those additional things weigh. And the answer they are aluminum coolers, so it is the extra fluids, that is the real weight. And again, how much more does larger tires weigh, or larger brakes.?

How much MORE does the GT350 R brakes weigh, over the PP2's..? Does it matter?

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
That is not a logical question...

It is how much MORE does those additional things weigh. And the answer they are aluminum coolers, so it is the extra fluids, that is the real weight. And again, how much more does larger tires weigh, or larger brakes.?

How much MORE does the GT350 R brakes weigh, over the PP2's..? Does it matter?
Really?

So increasing the size of an oil cooler adds ZERO weight other than the weight of the extra capacity of the fluid???

The GT350 does not have an intercooler, so add the weight of that cooler and all the water in that system and it's significantly more than your 82lb quote for the roush charger. If we hope it does not overheat like the Z06 did, a larger supercharger (like what they did on the ZL1 and ZR1) further increase weight.

Larger wheels, tire, and brakes add a significant amount of weight. As does the "additional" (I thought that was a given) weight of larger coolers (engine, transt diff) needed to deal with more heat created from an engine making more power.

Does it matter? It all adds up and it's erroneous if you're trying to say there will be no weight gain without accounting for things needed to handle more power.

I'm hoping it weighs less, but weight reduction costs money and it doesn't make sense if the car is over 6-figures.

Petroleum Jesus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Really?

So increasing the size of an oil cooler adds ZERO weight other than the weight of the extra capacity of the fluid???

The GT350 does not have an intercooler, so add the weight of that cooler and all the water in that system and it's significantly more than your 82lb quote for the roush charger. If we hope it does not overheat like the Z06 did, a larger supercharger (like what they did on the ZL1 and ZR1) further increase weight.

Larger wheels, tire, and brakes add a significant amount of weight. As does the "additional" (I thought that was a given) weight of larger coolers (engine, transt diff) needed to deal with more heat created from an engine making more power.

Does it matter? It all adds up and it's erroneous if you're trying to say there will be no weight gain without accounting for things needed to handle more power.

I'm hoping it weighs less, but weight reduction costs money and it doesn't make sense if the car is over 6-figures.
I believe his point is that those things shouldn't weigh anything in the ballpark of 300lbs more. He's right. Of course they could, but then again we could just scrap lightweight anything and expect nothing of this car. Why not switch back to an iron block? Steel wheels?

There are far too many excuse-makers on here. If Ford was only looking to sell to you guys, the damn thing would weigh 5,000 lbs. No thanks

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
The ZL1 in typical trim weighs about 3950 with a manual. That's just over 200lbs more vs the SS 1LE which is about 3740 (bigger brakes, more fluids, coolers, etc etc). If we are to do a rough apples to apples, the GT500 should come in around 4000lbs on the nose base if we are to compare say a GT350 with the Track Pack.

Petroleum Jesus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
The ZL1 in typical trim weighs about 3950 with a manual. That's just over 200lbs more vs the SS 1LE which is about 3740 (bigger brakes, more fluids, coolers, etc etc). If we are to do a rough apples to apples, the GT500 should come in around 4000lbs on the nose base if we are to compare say a GT350 with the Track Pack.
This would be an acceptable figure if weight distribution was better than 55/45. Anything more, and I will be spending my money elsewhere.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.