You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
I reached 550 miles on my car last weekend, so today I completed my first oil change. This is my first car with a cartridge style filter, and I must say I prefer this to traditional oil filters.

1.jpg

I did the job through the access panel, compared to the first post, when T had the belly pan off. It is a little tighter, but doable. For the filter access, I found it easier to get at it from behind the drivers side wheel, not through the access hole. There is a little flap that hangs there, but it is loose enough to pass the 27mm socket on an extension through it to crack it loose, then for your arm to reach in and take the filter housing off by hand.

I used my Form-A-Funnel to prevent oil from the drain plug from getting on top of the belly pan.

2.JPG

I wanted to use the Form-A-Funnel to prevent oil from getting on top of the belly pan when changing the filter, but there really wasn't a way to get it in there, and allow enough room for my arms to work on removing the filter, so I decided to forgo that idea. I placed a rag on top of the cover, and it caught the little oil that did not want to fall down through the access hole, so it was not an issue.

Stay thirsty my friends.

3.jpg

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
I'm coming up on a 1000 Jaime so I will be doing the same, soon. Your cart looks pretty much identical to the way mine looked after the first change.

But man, I gotta get one of those digital torque wrenches! TOO cool. Of course I went directly to the Snap-On store and holy smoke. I may be waiting awhile for one and guess I should have known.

Always was a Craftsman guy when it came to automotive tools but of course, I salivated over Snap-On ALL the time. Looks like you invested early, Jaime, good headwork.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
I'm also envious once again of the lift since it lets you use a standard, garage oil catch. Again, too cool.

It took me a lot of looking to find a drain pan large enough this time. Even the one for the diesel was right on the edge and a major pain to transfer for disposal. The new one will make it a lot easier but not as easy as yours. :-)

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm coming up on a 1000 Jaime so I will be doing the same, soon. Your cart looks pretty much identical to the way mine looked after the first change.

But man, I gotta get one of those digital torque wrenches! TOO cool. Of course I went directly to the Snap-On store and holy smoke. I may be waiting awhile for one and guess I should have known.

Always was a Craftsman guy when it came to automotive tools but of course, I salivated over Snap-On ALL the time. Looks like you invested early, Jaime, good headwork.
I have been a Craftsman guy my whole life as well. In there last few years I started gathering Snappy tools. I joined a tool group on Fakebook, and people are selling slightly used tools there much cheaper. Thats how I got mine, used and WAY cheaper. That 3/8" digital torque wrench only cost me $250, that's why I snatched it up.

Sponsored

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm also envious once again of the lift since it lets you use a standard, garage oil catch. Again, too cool.

It took me a lot of looking to find a drain pan large enough this time. Even the one for the diesel was right on the edge and a major pain to transfer for disposal. The new one will make it a lot easier but not as easy as yours. :-)
I enjoy my lifts, I spent 20 years working on the ground, and even dirt driveways, so it's nice to be spoiled in my old age. The 4 post lift you see was probably less than your Quick Jack setup. Of course it doesn't help if you don't have the height in your garage....

I hear you on the oil catch, this one oil change filled up the basin from empty to slightly more than 1/2 way!

Carry on brother, be safe!

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
Jaime: The wife is a Fakebook junkie but I've steered clear of that outfit. However, I MAY use HER account to check out that tool section/group. That Snappy torque wrench, as you know, is almost seven hundred bones so yeah, you most definitely got a good deal.

And yep, been there, done that on the ground. When I was a kid, my buddy and I even used his brother's back hoe to dig a big pit on their property so we could drive our cars over it, even in the northern Ohio Winter. However, we DID need to put up 4x8's of plywood to keep the space heater heat around the pit. <grin>

Unfortunately, I doubt I'll ever have a place with a tall garage ceiling so I'll have to get by with the QJ until I can't bust knuckles any longer.

Snoopy49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT500 - SOLD and 2020 GT500 - SOLD
Did you guys know that if you signed up with FordPass and installed the app on your cell phone you would receive 42,000 points because you purchased a new car? You can use the points for maintenance, like oil changes.

OP
OP
Epiphany

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
No disrespect Earl but I couldn't imagine leaving this car with a Ford dealer for an oil change.

Sponsored

Snoopy49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT500 - SOLD and 2020 GT500 - SOLD

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘09 GT500KR & ‘16 GT350 Track Pack & ‘20 GT500 HP
Wanted to add a few thoughts to this thread from when I changed my oil last week:
1. My oil filter looked just Tob’s: Lots of little pieces of metal. All these little pieces went though the oil pump to get to the filter. So when we see pictures of pumps with little gouges, etc. that’s a likely source. Also, I believe this oil system has a pressure release/ bypass valve built into the oil filter housing. If that’s the case, early in an engine’s life, if someone revs the engine a bit, and the filter gets bypassed, all those little metal flecks get sent to bearings. Not good. So the guidance to be gentile for the first 100 miles, and not rev high until a 1,000 miles, is very good.
2. My original fill, as measured on the dipstick, showed a level at the top hole, just above the cross hatched area. So I expected that to be normal for my car. But no...
Here’s a few pictures:
Filled to 11 quarts to see what 1/2 quart low looks like. It only hit the hole below the cross hatched area.
So I added the missing 1/2 quart, and now it hit the bottom of the cross-hatched area (which would normally indicate a quart low)
So what the heck, added the leftover 1/2 quart to see where it measured. Now near the top of the cross-hatched area, but still below the original fill (bit out of focus).
8E962788-2B7E-4CE0-90FB-33CA5DCCBE83.jpeg
5115BE7D-51A6-4F52-B377-1EC1CAD2B7F0.jpeg
521A3E14-E623-4FF1-85D6-F358393F9C9B.jpeg

Bottom line: Know what’s normal for your car.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
Don: FWIW, after putting in 11.5qts, running the engine a short while, shutting it off and letting it drain for thirty. When I rechecked it was a half quart low so I put in the remaining half quart and it came right up to the top of the hashed area.

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘09 GT500KR & ‘16 GT350 Track Pack & ‘20 GT500 HP
Don: FWIW, after putting in 11.5qts, running the engine a short while, shutting it off and letting it drain for thirty. When I rechecked it was a half quart low so I put in the remaining half quart and it came right up to the top of the hashed area.
Sounds like your “normal” is the same as mine. Wonder if it really takes 12 quarts, or the dipsticks are all off by a bit.
Sponsored