Brmiller49

Brmiller49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350
I have read all of these post and treads of Engine failures...It does sux. I would be friggin pissed as hell if this happened to me. I paid cash for my 19 as many have here. But you also have to look at the number of cars built that are running fine and have not had the motors blow as well. HandBuilt does not guaranty "no issues". We would like to think the builders know what the F they are doing...they put their names on the build to make us feel better better ! Bad parts QC is another thing altogether....valves, guides rockers etc.... I have seen shit like this happen over the 58 yrs I have been breathing..and at times had my crap break many a time no doubt. Here is the deal and what really matters! What matters is how Ford deals with the issue. Do they take care of the customer or say see ya? They are going to replace the motors apparently anyway or buy back the car, correct? I hope the buy back # is the number you paid and not some BS algebrad stupid formula crap. I would like to know if this is or is not the case? Again, What matters is how Ford takes care of you the customer. All the rest is noise.
Got the car back on Tuesday, the 24th. The dealership was trying to come up with a number for a refund for me, but they put it all on hold because Denver is in lockdown. Service department was great, they went out and celebrated when my wife drove the car off the lot! I missed that exhaust sound! So we’re waiting until this lockdown ends. Want to keep the mileage low. The Service guys must have had some fun with the car, because they put over 40 miles on it.
If we’re not happy with the refund, we may go to CarMax or look for a buyer elsewhere. Just don’t trust the car.
Sponsored

Wb350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Gt350
Stevbas

Where did you take this car ? Dealership?

Stevbas

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
GT 350.
Billy Howell Ford. They did a great job ! I just got back the car and haven’t spoken to the Ford Rep yet.

OP
OP
Brmiller49

Brmiller49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350
Stevbas

Where did you take this car ? Dealership?
We haven’t yet taken the car back to the dealer. After the new engine was installed on March 24, my wife drove it home (smiling!) where I cleaned it up again. It now sits in our garage.
They have not called us or emailed us about the refund, so we called on Thursday. The Used Car Manager said he hadn’t called us before, because he knew his offer would upset us! How are these guys still in business? He said the best they could do was offer us $60K for the car because it was now used. He also said he thought we might have caused the damage, even though Ford said it was mechanical failure. He took that crack back later! He also said they were hard hit by the CoVid19 pandemic. He said he would call us back later about the actual transfer of the car, which he never did.
It snowed in Denver on Friday and we NEVER take the car out in bad weather of any kind, so here we are on Saturday, having to call them again. The journey continues...

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
We haven’t yet taken the car back to the dealer. After the new engine was installed on March 24, my wife drove it home (smiling!) where I cleaned it up again. It now sits in our garage.
They have not called us or emailed us about the refund, so we called on Thursday. The Used Car Manager said he hadn’t called us before, because he knew his offer would upset us! How are these guys still in business? He said the best they could do was offer us $60K for the car because it was now used. He also said he thought we might have caused the damage, even though Ford said it was mechanical failure. He took that crack back later! He also said they were hard hit by the CoVid19 pandemic. He said he would call us back later about the actual transfer of the car, which he never did.
It snowed in Denver on Friday and we NEVER take the car out in bad weather of any kind, so here we are on Saturday, having to call them again. The journey continues...
WAIT - stop!

Why are you talking to their Used Car Mgr for a RAV Buy Back?? Wrong way, he doesn’t know shit about the RAV process and you’re not going to get resolution from the Dealership in that manner.

Wrong way.

You have to call the Ford 800#, get a Regional CSR to give you a Case number (if you have not already). Once you have the Case number then you work with the Regional CSR for a Buy Back Claim based on the facts and your concerns.

IF the CSR approves the Buy Back, you will then be directed over to the Ford RAV Division where you will now be assigned to a Ford RAV Rep. The RAV Rep will also review your case and officially approve the Buy Back at which point you will be offered only 2 options:

1) Vehicle Replacement - you pick out another Brand new Ford product that matches your original MSRP. Vehicle Replacement is strictly MSRP to MSRP, period.

Note:
If you paid ADM + MSRP on a Shelby, you need to discuss those parameters with Ford RAV because paying over MSRP via ADM is not the norm.

2) Refund - Ford refunds you the monies due minus any vehicle usage fees. You walk away with a check and do whatever you want with it.

I’ve posted so much info on this site regarding the Buy Back process and RAV info, there’s probably a book.

Search my user ID and the terms “Lemon”, “RAV” and “Buy Back” and you will find the many examples with figures and extremely detailed notes regarding the process etc. Do review, those postings will answer MANY of your questions and it’s helped many others on this site who were in your situation.

One very important note for you and others which I always stress the most:
Go to your DMV or Attorney State General .gov webpage and review all the info regarding your Home State’s Lemon Laws. Ford and Ford RAV adhere to and does not deviate from State Lemon Laws. The Lemon Laws vary from State to State, so this is why it’s important to review and understand your rights and what is offered as Consumer protection regarding Lemons in your Home State.

Do not use 3rd party non .gov sites for State Lemon Law guidance, they are garbage sites with misinformation.

—-

A Ford RAV Buy Back is NEVER handled by the “Used Car” Dept. of a dealership AND don’t let anyone tell you that by trading a car in via that route is a “Buy Back”.

An official Ford Buy Back commences when you have been in contact with Ford RAV AND once you receive an official email OR FedEx package from Ford RAV. That RAV email or FedEx package contains all of the official Buy Back docs that need to be completed and signed by the Owner and RAV. Once those docs are turned in to RAV, then RAV does a “worksheet” which is based off of your MSRP, any amount left on a loan (if applicable) and any State Sales Tax or Fees owed (again and IF there are fees owed it’s based on your Home State Lemon Laws). Again in my many postings on the subject matter I outline the Taxes and Fees concerns.

Other members have given really good info regarding the Refund process but also varies in how it’s handled State by State.

——-
So if you’re considering a Ford Buy Back, “trading” the car in is NOT the proper path at all, period.

Don’t let anyone tell you or guide you otherwise.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Brmiller49

Brmiller49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350
WAIT - stop!

Why are you talking to their Used Car Mgr for a RAV Buy Back?? Wrong way, he doesn’t know shit about the RAV process and you’re not going to get resolution from the Dealership in that manner.

Wrong way.

You have to call the Ford 800#, get a Regional CSR to give you a Case number (if you have not already). Once you have the Case number then you work with the Regional CSR for a Buy Back Claim based on the facts and your concerns.

IF the CSR approves the Buy Back, you will then be directed over to the Ford RAV Division where you will now be assigned to a Ford RAV Rep. The RAV Rep will also review your case and officially approve the Buy Back at which point you will be offered only 2 options:

1) Vehicle Replacement - you pick out another Brand new Ford product that matches your original MSRP. Vehicle Replacement is strictly MSRP to MSRP, period.

Note:
If you paid ADM + MSRP on a Shelby, you need to discuss those parameters with Ford RAV because paying over MSRP via ADM is not the norm.

2) Refund - Ford refunds you the monies due minus any vehicle usage fees. You walk away with a check and do whatever you want with it.

I’ve posted so much info on this site regarding the Buy Back process and RAV info, there’s probably a book.

Search my user ID and the terms “Lemon”, “RAV” and “Buy Back” and you will find the many examples with figures and extremely detailed notes regarding the process etc. Do review, those postings will answer MANY of your questions and it’s helped many others on this site who were in your situation.

One very important note for you and others which I always stress the most:
Go to your DMV or Attorney State General .gov webpage and review all the info regarding your Home State’s Lemon Laws. Ford and Ford RAV adhere to and does not deviate from State Lemon Laws. The Lemon Laws vary from State to State, so this is why it’s important to review and understand your rights and what is offered as Consumer protection regarding Lemons in your Home State.

Do not use 3rd party non .gov sites for State Lemon Law guidance, they are garbage sites with misinformation.

—-

A Ford RAV Buy Back is NEVER handled by the “Used Car” Dept. of a dealership AND don’t let anyone tell you that by trading a car in via that route is a “Buy Back”.

An official Ford Buy Back commences when you have been in contact with Ford RAV AND once you receive an official email OR FedEx package from Ford RAV. That RAV email or FedEx package contains all of the official Buy Back docs that need to be completed and signed by the Owner and RAV. Once those docs are turned in to RAV, then RAV does a “worksheet” which is based off of your MSRP, any amount left on a loan (if applicable) and any State Sales Tax or Fees owed (again and IF there are fees owed it’s based on your Home State Lemon Laws). Again in my many postings on the subject matter I outline the Taxes and Fees concerns.

Other members have given really good info regarding the Refund process but also varies in how it’s handled State by State.

——-
So if you’re considering a Ford Buy Back, “trading” the car in is NOT the proper path at all, period.

Don’t let anyone tell you or guide you otherwise.
Thanks for the info. My understanding is that a buyback can only happen after the third incident. We don’t want to wait for that!
We absolutely do not trust this car!

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Thanks for the info. My understanding is that a buyback can only happen after the third incident. We don’t want to wait for that!
We absolutely do not trust this car!
Not always true.

How long was the car down for the engine replacement? How many days total?

What does your State Lemon Laws say about initiating a claim?

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
Wow to some that actually consider that the “ chicken little “ comments are the major reality? How many fantastic GT350’s are providing unbelievable performance with out any problems? The super majority! Bad news sells better than good news ! These are all man made and man hasn’t reached perfection yet ! There’s no company that can deliver what the performance Vs cost and resale of Ford Motor co” ! You want trouble? By a GM product and watch it depreciate between its problems! ”
Honestly I was seriously considering a Dodge Challenger Hellcat Redeye, because I knew that it didn't suffer from rare random engine failure. The GT350 is just an all round better package the engine is truly amazing, its just sad that it suffers from bad quality control. The Redeye has really shitty interior and features for being at around 80k but at least the engine won't have catastrophic failure. Its really sad that these things happen. Im waiting for a Heritage Edition and I will would cry if this happened to me.

meterman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R KR785
Did either of you that had the engines blow look at who built them? I’d be curious to see if it was the same builder.

Sorry for you troubles. I hope you get it worked out to your favor.

Stevbas

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
GT 350.
Did either of you that had the engines blow look at who built them? I’d be curious to see if it was the same builder.

My car was LO 167 and I think that there was a LO 164. Bottom Line is that things happen. Ford did make it right in the end.

Sponsored

meterman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R KR785
My car was LO 167 and I think that there was a LO 164. Bottom Line is that things happen. Ford did make it right in the end.
I get that and I’m glad they did, based upon one of the post that the Ford rep said maybe the guy didn’t know what he was doing (don’t quote me) I just wondered if maybe it was the same guy and I wanted to make sure he didn’t build mine.

OP
OP
Brmiller49

Brmiller49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350
I get that and I’m glad they did, based upon one of the post that the Ford rep said maybe the guy didn’t know what he was doing (don’t quote me) I just wondered if maybe it was the same guy and I wanted to make sure he didn’t build mine.
When they replaced the engine in my 2020 GT350 (mine was the seizure at 206 miles), it was not the entire engine that was replaced. They kept the original signature plate. We’re at 475 miles now. I truly appreciate all that Ford did for us as well as the dealership. I don’t believe I ever said anything negative about either in my posts. We are keeping the car and enjoying the experience of a great sounding and handling car! It is an incredible experience driving it!
70D0E965-FC7E-4453-830C-8BB190A45DF2.jpeg

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT

I highly doubt the builder was responsible, you generally don't get the chance to build an engine like this without years of experience under your belt. I suspect it was just a bad run of parts.

Montoya

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andre
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
My car is now running great too! Replaced at 950 miles. OP, FYI the builder signature plate is just part of the trim for your engine. That is not included with the long block replacement motor.

Ford took good care of us as did the guys at Capitol Ford in Santa Fe, NM- can't thank them enough.

OP, I hope you took the advice of Cobra Jet and opened a case with Ford. For my troubles we were fully compensated and received an extended bumper to bumper warranty as well as a maintenance plan.

I don't expect the failure was due to poor assembly- all indications are that a lot of the early failures were due to a failure in the valve train.

meterman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R KR785
March 16

Went to the Ford Dealership again today to talk about the GT350. Our salesman said that the Service Manager said the failed engine was likely built by someone who didn’t know what they were doing. This seems incredible that this was probably the guy who signed the engine! They offered to make things right by selling us their allotted GT500 that is on its way for another $10K. We said no and they said they would start putting some numbers together for a refund.

More to come...
Again, I’m not saying anything negative about how the process was a handled by Ford, it sounds like they have been very supportive. I was referring to this comment when I wondered who built the engine.

Good luck, I hope everything works out for you.
Sponsored