Sponsored

2019 GT350 Engine Failure @ 2170 miles

TnWHTMARE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
Dont they drop the k-member to replace the engine? If they did, Im really sure the struts come down with the assy. I wonder if they damaged them upon reassembly?
Sponsored

OP
OP
PRTK350

PRTK350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pat
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350
Dont they drop the k-member to replace the engine? If they did, Im really sure the struts come down with the assy. I wonder if they damaged them upon reassembly?
Do they drop the engine or lift it out?

Even if they drop the engine along with the K-member, do you think they would need to remove the struts for that?

TnWHTMARE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang 5.0
Vehicle Showcase

Fast forward to 2:07 seconds. I think the picture will help better than me trying to butcher an explanation. :) That video was just the first thing I saw in haste.

OP
OP
PRTK350

PRTK350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pat
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350

Fast forward to 2:07 seconds. I think the picture will help better than me trying to butcher an explanation. :) That video was just the first thing I saw in haste.
I see what you mean! However, it might be a bit different for the Voodoo engines. When I went in to check it out, they had pulled the old engine out of the car. The car had it's wheels, suspension, everything on. Just the engine was out. Maybe there's a way to pull out the engine in the GT350 without removing the whole sub-frame?

Sponsored

TnWHTMARE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
I see what you mean! However, it might be a bit different for the Voodoo engines. When I went in to check it out, they had pulled the old engine out of the car. The car had it's wheels, suspension, everything on. Just the engine was out. Maybe there's a way to pull out the engine in the GT350 without removing the whole sub-frame?
Yah, they could have pulled it out the top. Sounds like thats what they did. Hmm, well, there went that explanation. :)

sdsteele2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2021 Explorer XLT
This is purely a guess on my part. I wonder if they used a engine support that rests on the shock towers at some point in the repair. Something like this. It would not be hard to imagine that it hit the plastic caps.

The rust looks superficial. Odds are that little rust has been there and you never noticed it, unless you made it a habit to remove the caps. You can ask the dealer for new caps but I’m guessing they are just on there from the supplier to protect the car on install. Probably not available as a spare part. Any plastic/rubber cap would work.

hit it with a wire brush, wipe on a little oil, and pop on the new cap.

11852819-DF07-45DF-A508-C5D8ED8C7779.jpeg

Last edited:

Sponsored

Point45

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
josh
Vehicle(s)
19 gt350, 05 tacoma, 10 Ducati 1098SF
That looks like someone hacked them up with a pliers.
Probably was damaged when putting the engine back in. The engine assembly comes out with the suspension and cross member from the bottom.

Car is dropped down onto the assembly, didn't get it just right and smacked the plastic caps.

Edit, I see this has been mentiond. What I get for just replying and not reading to the end.

OP
OP
PRTK350

PRTK350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pat
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350
Update: once I got the car back home, I observed that whoever did the repair scratched up a bunch of parts under the hood. Everything from the intake to the manifold to the headlight. The painted parts under the hood were scratched as well.

i went back to the dealer demanding them to fix what they scratched. They agreed and took the car. After 2 weeks (last Thursday) I pick up the car - they fixed the scratches on the pained parts, but the scratches on the plastic were still there and they refused to fix it.

i call the service manager and his first response is: “I know what you’re talking about, I’ve seen your car and I’m not buying you thousands of dollars of parts”. I tell him I expect to get a replacement and immediately call my CSR at Ford. She then calls the service manager and arranges the car to be looked at on Monday. Apparently the service manager said “he’ll see what he can do”. FML.

This has been going on for so long now - first the car blowing up, then dealing with Ford and now the dealership, I’m exhausted.

take a look at a few pics of their work. If anyone is in the area: avoid Wyatt Johnson Ford like the plague.

4411819B-D8EC-46E2-AD95-8EB92ED7627A.jpeg

8C7E01AD-CC22-4135-A83F-11C438898AC0.jpeg

B31CA288-8192-44D1-B15E-5FFDA5E01F4E.jpeg

2D37BDD5-DC26-4117-AD89-E910348C326C.jpeg

B78A357E-AC80-4F37-BAF0-1E0D29B7098C.jpeg

1ACC19E5-BEA1-41DD-806C-4BF218FE152C.jpeg

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
Fucking dealerships.

So they just need to fuck up big time so repair/replacement is too expensive? Wut?

That is a total hack job. Who knows what else they did or didn't do.

Blwnsmoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Wow, I'd be BS on that. Although I'm not one to say sue sue sue.. I'd have no problem filing small claims court for the cost of the parts and suing the dealer on this if they refuse to fix it. It's pretty much an open/shut case. I know where I live, I get interest paid from date of filing as well as court costs covered if I win (which you would win on this).

Use it as a last resort but definitely keep it in your back pocket. I'd visit another dealer and get an estimate for the replacement of the parts to have on hand.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Why wouldn't they have had fender blankets when doing such an R&R??! Most competent dealerships place fender blankets over the front end to avoid any marring or scratching when doing an engine R&R.

That's BS right there....
Sponsored