Sponsored

2019 gt drone help

Qyu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 10A
hello, new to modding cars and decided on a muffler delete on my 2019 gt with stock resonator and i like the sound but hate the drone. I only had the muffler delete done about a month ago and i’m getting ready to put back the stock mufflers.

Will a vibrant resonator help with the drone at all?
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
No. You need to get an axleback that is designed to cancel drone. Look at AWE Touring, Borla ATAK. Both are just as loud and sound better than the muffler deletes, IMO.

drive_55_not

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Coyote, S197 3v, 2018 Gen3 [RIP], 2020 Challenger 'Cat
Adding a Helmholtz resonator is the only way to kill drone, and the cheapest ... I used a pair of old Vibrant resonators to my Outlaws and it killed 95% of the drone ...

The ones I added are 22" overall which was just enough to weld to the hanger bracket for support .. You could use just plain pipe instead of a resonator ...
OutLaw_Helmholtz Resonator.JPG

OP
OP

Qyu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 10A
No. You need to get an axleback that is designed to cancel drone. Look at AWE Touring, Borla ATAK. Both are just as loud and sound better than the muffler deletes, IMO.
Dang being cheap in the beginning is gonna cost me more money in the end. No choice but to go back to stock and wait for used pair to pop up here.

Adding a Helmholtz resonator is the only way to kill drone, and the cheapest ... I used a pair of old Vibrant resonators to my Outlaws and it killed 95% of the drone ...

The ones I added are 22" overall which was just enough to weld to the hanger bracket for support .. You could use just plain pipe instead of a resonator ...
OutLaw_Helmholtz Resonator.JPG
I was hoping vibrant resonator 1792 will be enough to kill the drone...

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Dang being cheap in the beginning is gonna cost me more money in the end. No choice but to go back to stock and wait for used pair to pop up here.

It won't. Bottle resonators don't kill drone frequencies (<150 Hz).

Sponsored

drive_55_not

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Coyote, S197 3v, 2018 Gen3 [RIP], 2020 Challenger 'Cat

Those are the ones I used actually,, To kill the drone they have to be added like I showed,, or some other facsimile of a Helmholtz resonator ... That was the simplest way and MBRP does the same with their race exhaust ..

Adding them like I did is fairly simple,, I used a 2.5" hole saw, welded a cap on one end ... stuck the other end in the hole and welded it up ... Believe me the drone dropped from ear/nose bleed level to near zero. The only real drone in cruising in 10th gear under load like climbing a steep grade.

If this didn't work I would've put the stock exhaust back on also as I can't stand droning exhaust either ... And they deepened the tone tad bit, but these Outlaws are still raspy and L-as-F ..

Stephen@lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Gt500
Like stated, if you want to kill the drone, you are going to need an axle back with a muffler on it. Let me know if you would like to go over some options that are still loud but won't give you drone as well. Lethalperformance.com

GasGuzzler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MK7
There is a nice steeda axleback in the classifieds

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I have a stock set that I can let go of....
Too bad you're in Cali Shipping isn't going to be nice.

Ace21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1
Those are the ones I used actually,, To kill the drone they have to be added like I showed,, or some other facsimile of a Helmholtz resonator ... That was the simplest way and MBRP does the same with their race exhaust ..

Adding them like I did is fairly simple,, I used a 2.5" hole saw, welded a cap on one end ... stuck the other end in the hole and welded it up ... Believe me the drone dropped from ear/nose bleed level to near zero. The only real drone in cruising in 10th gear under load like climbing a steep grade.

If this didn't work I would've put the stock exhaust back on also as I can't stand droning exhaust either ... And they deepened the tone tad bit, but these Outlaws are still raspy and L-as-F ..

This forum needs more info like this on here. Really if you want a loud, non-muffler exhaust that isn't frequency tuned, without drone then Helmholtz resonators are the way to go. The only cons to them is slight increase in weight, a small reduction in volume under the drone frequency, and size of packaging. If you are a DIY then find out the RPM and frequency that it is droning at and then use the attached formula. I would only recommend that you try to locate the resonators as far upstream as possible.
helmholtz.jpg

Sponsored

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
This forum needs more info like this on here. Really if you want a loud, non-muffler exhaust that isn't frequency tuned, without drone then Helmholtz resonators are the way to go. The only cons to them is slight increase in weight, a small reduction in volume under the drone frequency, and size of packaging. If you are a DIY then find out the RPM and frequency that it is droning at and then use the attached formula. I would only recommend that you try to locate the resonators as far upstream as possible.
helmholtz.jpg
These do work packaging is always a problem. People use them in the rear because there's a lot of space there and sometimes it's really only needed at the muffler. I agree it would be optimal further upstream but LTH, Thermal, Solo, and MBRP all have them in the rear and I'm sure it isn't a coincidence.

I really like the sound of the LTH (quiet even with xpipe)a Thermal set up would be a close second.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
helmholtz.jpg
Or....buy an axleback with a tuned-for-this-car Helmholtz resonator built in. Corsa's RSC, AWE Touring's 180 technology, Borla ATAK for example.

Ace21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1
Or....buy an axleback with a tuned-for-this-car Helmholtz resonator built in. Corsa's RSC, AWE Touring's 180 technology, Borla ATAK for example.
Some might not want to spend $600+ for an axle back just to get more sound without the drone. Those axle backs do have Helmholtz resonators but they are usually tuned primarily for running their entire exhaust system so there will always be a little more on the table. I would agree that it isn't anything game changing though other than the difference in price if you do it yourself.
Sponsored