Sponsored

2018 Mustang refresh?

Zimm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT M6
I was highly disappointed there wasn't a digital speedo in the GT. The angle of the speed gauge is slightly off not giving you an accurate reading. I got use to having the optional digital speed in the center of the console on my WRX.
Coming from dodge this was my biggest disappointment as well. It's something you really get used to.
Sponsored

AZ_Ryan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
A heads up display would be nice. That's one thing I envy about the camaro.

AJ ROJO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Coming from dodge this was my biggest disappointment as well. It's something you really get used to.
I miss my digital speedo option in the middle that my Camaro had. Heads up display is nice too but I can live without it.

thet33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT/6MT/3.55
One of the few good things about having to upgrade the base unit to the aftermarket unit is that the Nextgen Nav has a pretty nifty digital speedo screen that I've been using for a while. A stock option would be nice when the refresh drops.

Last edited:

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
I think there's plenty to love about the S550 but I have a really hard time reading the posts where people say the performance difference between the Mustang and Camaro is negligible or that "nobody can use that power on the street anyway so who cares?"

Anyone who can say these things with a straight face does not understand muscle cars. The Camaro SS is far and away the superior performance car...even if it's not the one we like better, facts are facts. There's not one damn category (that matters) where the Mustang wins.

Complaints about the trunk opening and back seat? Sad, guys. If you guys end up next to a Camaro SS at a stop light, you'd better pretend to have dropped something on the floor...or look distracted in some other way otherwise, you'll be able to check out that small trunk opening" as it walks away from you with ease.

I've bought two new Mustangs in a row, loved the hell out of each of them. I don't want a Camaro but it's so good that it makes it really hard to write a check for my next Mustang GT. I've been on the fence for a long time. Can't sit much longer.

Ford better pull something great out for 2018. The momentarily wonderful S550 is officially flat on its feet in terms of performance...and while it's selling better than a Camaro, keep in mind that a Camry sells way more than both models combined.

I'm watching this thread intently...keeping my fingers crossed for some great news.

Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
I'm watching this thread intently...keeping my fingers crossed for some great news.
You and me both ;)

I must refresh the page and look for updates on this thread half a dozen times a day in the hope of new information. Will we see or hear anything before Ford launches it at a major show? If not, that's gonna be a looooooong 4 or 5 months :eyebulge:

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You and me both ;)

I must refresh the page and look for updates on this thread half a dozen times a day in the hope of new information. Will we see or hear anything before Ford launches it at a major show? If not, that's gonna be a looooooong 4 or 5 months :eyebulge:
Ha! Yeah, I recall that you've been waiting a long time too!

While Ford seems to be better most companies at keeping their big reveals under wraps, there are so many folks on the lookout for prototypes (and their opportunity for internet fame) that we're bound to catch a glimpse of the refresh well before LA or whichever show they're holding out for.

If I was a betting man, I'd guess that we'll get more solid rumors before the year is out, and at least a telling spy shot or two by November. Purely my guess. :D

I honestly don't need anything revolutionary out of this refresh...there is so much right about the S550 already...just make it as quick and thrilling as the Camaro SS and I'll be there with cash in hand.

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Like I've said before, I'm expecting a 2013 style refresh. Maybe 15 more hp, slightly redesigned front and rear, some interior upgrades, and maybe an active exhaust and/or MagnaRide option if we're lucky. Those comparing to the Camaro or wanting the Mustang to be radically different will be disappointed I think. That 5.2 will go in something like a Mach 1 if anything at all. If you're tempted by the Camaro, I don't think anything in 2018 will change your mind much. You can get a current Mustang up to Camaro power levels easily so that shouldn't be the holdup. If your holdup is handling, either go for a Shelby or get the Camaro. The Camaro's magic comes from it's Alpha platform. The Mustang platform won't change until 2020 for gen 7, and that's when you'll get a radically different feeling Mustang that should be better performing for those that aren't happy with it currently.

Also, like with the 2013 refresh, the reveal should come at the LA Auto Show in November. Detroit in January at the very latest. And things leak before the shows so I'd give it another month or two before we see some leaks or much more factual "rumors".

Sponsored

GOFAST

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Still looking
Like I've said before, I'm expecting a 2013 style refresh. Maybe 15 more hp, slightly redesigned front and rear, some interior upgrades, and maybe an active exhaust and/or MagnaRide option if we're lucky. Those comparing to the Camaro or wanting the Mustang to be radically different will be disappointed I think. That 5.2 will go in something like a Mach 1 if anything at all. If you're tempted by the Camaro, I don't think anything in 2018 will change your mind much. You can get a current Mustang up to Camaro power levels easily so that shouldn't be the holdup. If your holdup is handling, either go for a Shelby or get the Camaro. The Camaro's magic comes from it's Alpha platform. The Mustang platform won't change until 2020 for gen 7, and that's when you'll get a radically different feeling Mustang that should be better performing for those that aren't happy with it currently.

Also, like with the 2013 refresh, the reveal should come at the LA Auto Show in November. Detroit in January at the very latest. And things leak before the shows so I'd give it another month or two before we see some leaks or much more factual "rumors".
Couldn't have said it better myself. I am holding out to see what the 2018 refresh offers, because I am quite curious. That said, it won't stop me from buying or make me buy sooner unless I don't like fascia updates and I want to take advantage of a new '17 with finance offers etc.

I am a previous Camaro owner, but this Gen just does nothing for me. It is a GREAT performer, but I don't need all that performance. I just want a Mustang!! :headbang:

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase

The biggest mechanical change I could see coming is the rumored 10 Speed Auto Trans. An option of magride would be great, but Ford will bury it into some expensive package.

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
The biggest mechanical change I could see coming is the rumored 10 Speed Auto Trans. An option of magride would be great, but Ford will bury it into some expensive package.
True, the 10 Speed Auto is basically confirmed so I'd expect that for sure too. I honestly don't see the hype of MagnaRide. I drove a Shelby without it and it felt plenty good already. I've driven 16 Camaros with and without Magnetic Ride Control and I honestly couldn't even tell a difference. Maybe track driving is where it shines? :shrug:

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
True, the 10 Speed Auto is basically confirmed so I'd expect that for sure too. I honestly don't see the hype of MagnaRide. I drove a Shelby without it and it felt plenty good already. I've driven 16 Camaros with and without Magnetic Ride Control and I honestly couldn't even tell a difference. Maybe track driving is where it shines? :shrug:
Hopefully I'll know when I drive mine. But as far as engineering, it gives the driver the most options for suspension. I hope I can tell the difference between soft, moderate and stiff suspension settings.

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I can't imagine that Ford isn't at least weighing the option to put the 5.2L in the next GT. They've had essentially the same motor (incremental improvements) for 6 model years now. That's a long time to sit on their laurels.

Ford was content to outsell the Camaro with an inferior performance car all through the '90s and early '00s. This feels familiar. Then, as now, the Mustang is a more mass-appealing package for a number of reasons but a true performance car fan would have to pass it up.

If there's no substantive improvement for 2018, I'll have to go back to looking at 480hp Scatpack (or the new T/A package?) Challengers and try to wrapping my head around buying a car that big...or just keep my S197 and wait longer? :(
Sponsored