2018 mustang GT ticking?

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2018

Mine just went in to get motor torn down. Noise has progressively gotten worse.
Hi!
Any update about the engine? Was your only on cold start?
Mine continues to do it only on cold start and goes away in 3 to 5 min.
Please let us know what you find. Thanks

djk99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP2 GT
Hi!
Any update about the engine? Was your only on cold start?
Mine continues to do it only on cold start and goes away in 3 to 5 min.
Please let us know what you find. Thanks
After over a month at the dealership Ford has authorized a new long block to be installed. Ford tried to have the dealer look at the top end, then HP fuel pump, dealership was good about pushing back about the lower end noise. Motor should arrive next week and a few days for install. Ford never asked the dealer to pull apart bottom end to investigate.

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
After over a month at the dealership Ford has authorized a new long block to be installed. Ford tried to have the dealer look at the top end, then HP fuel pump, dealership was good about pushing back about the lower end noise. Motor should arrive next week and a few days for install. Ford never asked the dealer to pull apart bottom end to investigate.
From what I understand, not having the Techs tear into the engine is starting to happen more often, as Ford replaces more and more long blocks. The reason why, is because they want the whole engine returned as-is, so their own engineers can do the disassembly and inspection themselves. Ford is very aware of this complaint now, and they are trying to figure out the root cause of it. So far, the Tech at the local dealer who's working on mine says they are discussing it a lot in the Ford Tech only online forum, but it is still a bit of a mystery.

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
The bigger mystery is if they replace the short block or long block will the noise return, it only stands to reason that if they don't know the cause how can the replacement solve the issue long term.

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
The bigger mystery is if they replace the short block or long block will the noise return, it only stands to reason that if they don't know the cause how can the replacement solve the issue long term.
It very well may return. In fact, there is a few videos on YouTube of a guy who is on his 3rd engine, because they kept ticking after a few months of ownership. Ford doesn't have a fix yet, since they don't know the cause. So, all they can do, is just throw in a new block, and hope for the best.

I can tell you right now, if they have to replace my engine, the first thing I will do when I get home is drain that cr@p 5w20 oil out of it, and switch to 5w30 at a bare minimum. In fact, I may even start using Ceratec additive within the first couple hundred miles if I get so much as a single tick. In that process, I will tell Ford of every single thing I do, because if they have no fix, then I will at least do my best to prevent it from happening again.

Turbolag87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My18 gt
Usually the barbeque tick is with the engine warmed up. Not present until around 185 degrees or so. After the engine is warm it is constant. A/C on worsens it.
then u prob dont have the "bbq" tick

Excel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT and 2015 F150
sounds like piston slap....Piston slap usually goes away with engine warm up. Its really common on mid 2000s GM LS motors
and the MFG calls it normal, but thats a lie,its BS....Really some engines last forever with slap and some blow up under pressure...My buddys 2018 5.0
is being replaced as we speak..it blew up on the drag strip ,it was like a month old

Yolodouchebags 2018 Gt is doing the same thing as well,...Only ford can take a great engine and make it worse SMH

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
sounds like piston slap....Piston slap usually goes away with engine warm up. Its really common on mid 2000s GM LS motors
and the MFG calls it normal, but thats a lie,its BS....Really some engines last forever with slap and some blow up under pressure...My buddys 2018 5.0
is being replaced as we speak..it blew up on the drag strip ,it was like a month old

Yolodouchebags 2018 Gt is doing the same thing as well,...Only ford can take a great engine and make it worse SMH
I dont think it is piston slap. Now that its 50 degrees outside, cold start I dont hear the noise at all. Seems to be more when the engine is warm.

Yolodouchebags 2018 Gt - He has access and knows many mechanics that work on these cars 24/7, Im inclined to think he asked them what it was before posting that video. Rod knock makes sense
since it can occurr from FUBAR bearings which seems to be a common theme here.

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
From what I understand, not having the Techs tear into the engine is starting to happen more often, as Ford replaces more and more long blocks. The reason why, is because they want the whole engine returned as-is, so their own engineers can do the disassembly and inspection themselves. Ford is very aware of this complaint now, and they are trying to figure out the root cause of it. So far, the Tech at the local dealer who's working on mine says they are discussing it a lot in the Ford Tech only online forum, but it is still a bit of a mystery.
How do you know ford is very aware and bout the tech online talk? Did service manager at dealer tell you this?

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
How do you know ford is very aware and bout the tech online talk? Did service manager at dealer tell you this?
The Tech (Mechanic) himself told me. Ford MoCo has a series of specific online forums only their certified techs across the country are allowed to use. That way they can talk about issues and search for answers without customers or other people interfering in their discussions. There's hundreds of Techs only on that one forum. The guy at the service desk even said they constantly talk online, and even he doesn't have access to it. Certified Ford Techs only.

So yes, they definitely know about the BBQ Tick. The problem is, they haven't been able to nail it down to any one specific issue causing it. They tear down engines, and sometimes they may find a wiped bearing, a scored cylinder, or some bad rockers, but never one specific thing causing the tick. The worst examples are when they break an engine down, and basically find nothing at all. That's why he told me, in some cases now, they aren't even breaking down engines to try and figure out what's wrong. They just pull the whole long block and ship it back to Flint to have the engineers run it on the stand, and tear it down themselves.

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible 6 speed
The bbq tick has literally been around since the 2011 model year when the Coyote first came out. It's crazy that after 9 model years they still can't nail down a cause and a fix.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
The bbq tick has literally been around since the 2011 model year when the Coyote first came out. It's crazy that after 9 model years they still can't nail down a cause and a fix.
Yeah, it's amazing ... the BBQ tick is as mysterious as Bigfoot.

I imagine it could be caused by more than one problem, but Ford should know by now what issues can cause it. IC engines have been around for a century - shouldn't be any mystery to them today .

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grand Highlander Hybrid Max Limited
Yeah, it's amazing ... the BBQ tick is as mysterious as Bigfoot.

I imagine it could be caused by more than one problem, but Ford should know by now what issues can cause it. IC engines have been around for a century - shouldn't be any mystery to them today .
I'm sure Ford knows and has known for several years now.

It is just a formula of cost to fix at manufacturing level versus estimated repairs after sale.

My opinion is the bean counters have decided to let it ride till the next gen build.

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible 6 speed
I'm sure Ford knows and has known for several years now.

It is just a formula of cost to fix at manufacturing level versus estimated repairs after sale.

My opinion is the bean counters have decided to let it ride till the next gen build.
It has been around through 3 generations of the Coyote engine.

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grand Highlander Hybrid Max Limited
It has been around through 3 generations of the Coyote engine.
Doesn't mean they don't know....could just mean it's not worth the cost to fix.