Sponsored

2018 Mustang GT Burning Through Oil & Blowing White Smoke?

alpha_s550

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.forgitec.com
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT | 2019 BMW X5 | 2022 BMW M4
I need everyones help.. My friends 2018 Mustang GT / Whipple Supercharged / fully taken care of has been eating through oil like crazy and blowing white smoke when accelerating for the past few months and we need help figuring out what the issue is.. Ford dealer said it would "cost $13K+" to repair before they even evaluated the car. What could possibly be causing this? It ate through 7 quarts of oil in 600 miles!

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
White smoke is typically a blown head gasket or cracked head. If it's been driven a couple months like that, it's toast.

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS convertible
Alpha, I can't argue with the other posts about the white smoke, but just to be sure, is it eating coolant and/or getting gas bubbles in the coolant reservoir. Or getting serious pressure in the coolant reservoir even before the motor warms up? More likely a head gasket than a cracked head, but both are possible. Not so sure its toast, either. Drove my Terminator for about 6 months with a blown head gasket and it fixed up perfectly. Not recommending that anybody do that....just saying there's some chance the motor is repairable.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
Just do a compression test. My money is on broken ring lands. There’s really no point in discussing further until a compression test is done. It shouldn’t take more than 10 minutes.

Sponsored

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Just do a compression test. My money is on broken ring lands. There’s really no point in discussing further until a compression test is done. It shouldn’t take more than 10 minutes.
Agreed. There needs to be some kind of diagnostic work done. A compression test or a leak down test will get you headed in the right direction.
The dealership is stupid if they want 13,000 that would pay for a new engine. Installed

Last edited:

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
Yea, several months running like that whippled and probably getting the snot beat out of it. I sure as hell wouldn't buy that car with that engine.

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
asking $13,000 to work on a engine that cost less than that to just replace. Ya stupid

Sponsored

Fetlock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT MT
This makes sense to me, if it were the head you would be losing coolant, not oil. I had a car with leaky oil rings, it blew white smoke when cold or accelerating.

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
I've never had or driven a FI car but basic engine theory tells me that something is causing excessive blowby and that in turn is pushing all your oil out the PCV

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
hold a piece of white paper behind the exhaust at an angle. Then you can tell what's actually coming out the pipe. Also smell it. If it smells like oil it's oil. If it smells sharp it's coolant. But by all means what moron doesn't immediately get it diagnosed by a shop?

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0
The only time I've seen white smoke was from a 2004 F150 with a 5.4 V8. Was driving , heard a noise, saw the check engine light come on and drove straight to the dealer since it was closer than home or work. Truck had 6K miles, ended up being a cylinder hydrolocked from too much fuel. They had the truck for 6 weeks but I got free use of a new Expedition with only 9 miles on it for the duration.

OP, there has to be a check engine warning.
Sponsored