Sponsored

2018 GT Typewriter Tick

MustangGal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
My 2018 GT just started the "typewriter tick? thing at 25 thousand miles. I have taken it to 2 dealerships who gave me a bulletin stating that it is a normal characteristic of the 2018 GT. This is not normal and why they would brand it that way has me flabbergasted. For those of you who will tell me to just basically ignore it because it does not hurt anything, I will stop you right there and say that IS NOT THE POINT. When you purchase a car, you expect it to not sound like someone under the hood typing out a freaking essay about the American Revolution. You may enjoy the ticking but I do not. I have an open case with Ford right now and we'll see how it goes. For those of you who empathize and agree that a Mustang GT should not sound like a ticking time bomb, please comment on your experience(s) with this ticking and any outcomes. I don't believe that they have been on the road long enough to be able to determine long term effects of piston slapping/cylinder scoring in my opinion.
Sponsored

Zathras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Welcome to the club, my '18 started doing it a week ago, just after an oil change. I think right now I have enough other problems in my life that I'm just not going to worry about it. Plus I have an extended warranty in case it breaks. But the noise can't be good for resale value, that's for sure.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
My 2018 GT just started the "typewriter tick? thing at 25 thousand miles. I have taken it to 2 dealerships who gave me a bulletin stating that it is a normal characteristic of the 2018 GT. This is not normal and why they would brand it that way has me flabbergasted. For those of you who will tell me to just basically ignore it because it does not hurt anything, I will stop you right there and say that IS NOT THE POINT. When you purchase a car, you expect it to not sound like someone under the hood typing out a freaking essay about the American Revolution. You may enjoy the ticking but I do not. I have an open case with Ford right now and we'll see how it goes. For those of you who empathize and agree that a Mustang GT should not sound like a ticking time bomb, please comment on your experience(s) with this ticking and any outcomes. I don't believe that they have been on the road long enough to be able to determine long term effects of piston slapping/cylinder scoring in my opinion.
Ok newbie, cool your jets. We've been having this discussion for years now. First do not confuse the tick with the rattle (you mentioned cylinder scoring). Unfortunately for you and every other Coyote owner it is the point. Ford says there is nothing wrong. If your not happy, sell the car or sue Ford. Just FYI, the latter will get you know where. None of the folks who have the tick, like it. They has come to grips with the reality is that some cars have it others don't. You didn't get it for 25K so many would say your lucky. Regardless, you cannot get rid of it but you can reduce it. Read the thread obopsd posted as it is the most current. There are numerous other ones as well if you do a search for tick.

Now all this being said, there could be something wrong with your car. Only a mechanic can tell you one way or the other. No one here on the forum can do that for you.

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
Interestingly enough mine started around 25k as well. Mine is very quiet and intermittent so not nearly as bad as some cars I've heard. It has only happened a handful of times. Earlier this week while waiting in an extremely long drive thru line it began. I turned my ac off to hear it better and it stopped. I was in line for close to 30 mins cycling the air on and off and the tick would come and go with it. I know its not ac related but my tick is so minor I wonder if the extra load was just enough to bring it on???

Sponsored

boos550t

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2016 Premium GT PP Old : 2017 Base GT PP 2015 EB Premium PP @ismgt
Here we go again

Mustang5ohMan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
A
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
My radio and exhaust are too loud for me to hear the tick, and the people outside probably hear a leer jet when I past by....

None given on any day.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I agree - it does suck and would REALLY annoy me. My 16 is pretty silent, every once and a while it has a very light tick that’s BBQ’esque but it’s not permanent.

The good news is you have a full warranty and have it documented with Ford so that’s already in your favor. That doesn’t excuse the noise, but at this point, what else can you do? Beat on it, it’ll show you it’s not going to blow up :)

OP
OP

MustangGal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Ok newbie, cool your jets. We've been having this discussion for years now. First do not confuse the tick with the rattle (you mentioned cylinder scoring). Unfortunately for you and every other Coyote owner it is the point. Ford says there is nothing wrong. If your not happy, sell the car or sue Ford. Just FYI, the latter will get you know where. None of the folks who have the tick, like it. They has come to grips with the reality is that some cars have it others don't. You didn't get it for 25K so many would say your lucky. Regardless, you cannot get rid of it but you can reduce it. Read the thread obopsd posted as it is the most current. There are numerous other ones as well if you do a search for tick.

Now all this being said, there could be something wrong with your car. Only a mechanic can tell you one way or the other. No one here on the forum can do that for you.
I could invest in headers or some sh#$ but agai
I agree - it does suck and would REALLY annoy me. My 16 is pretty silent, every once and a while it has a very light tick that’s BBQ’esque but it’s not permanent.

The good news is you have a full warranty and have it documented with Ford so that’s already in your favor. That doesn’t excuse the noise, but at this point, what else can you do? Beat on it, it’ll show you it’s not going to blow up :)

So, I wonder once my warranty runs out, if something happens, if it is documented, would they still cover it? I have to talk to the Ford Regional manager on Monday about it. I've had 4 Mustangs and never experienced this BS.

Mustang5ohMan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
A
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
I could invest in headers or some sh#$ but agai

So, I wonder once my warranty runs out, if something happens, if it is documented, would they still cover it? I have to talk to the Ford Regional manager on Monday about it. I've had 4 Mustangs and never experienced this BS.
I called ford and filed a customer service claim. Ford regional emailed and called the very next day as states first thing in the AM. However the regional manager is useless and no help. Also I asked for the next level she said that was it...

Sponsored

Twizzty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bones
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro 1SS 1LE MT
Vehicle Showcase
Does she want us to tell her the long known solution(CeraTec) or are we supposed to just sit and listen because she'll feel better afterwards!?!

I always get this one wrong :(

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Auto Ruby Red
If your worried, get a extended warranty from Flood Ford or trade it in.

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
I enjoyed my mustang much more after avoiding this forum!!! Sad but true! Dont worry about it... keep sending it... if it
ticks it means your driving it like a p.... be a man and hammer that pedal!!!
Sponsored