Sponsored

2018 GT PP2 Rear Differential Overheating Issue

fatbillybob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT pp1 A10 Orange
Talking to the GT350 guys here at WGI they were seeing the same Diff oil temps I was seeing with the factory coolers
235F
My repurpose of the A10 cooler to the diff coincidentally set up just like 350 sees similar temps as the 350.
Sponsored

racingandfishing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Peter told me the emails were bouncing back. Email him here Email Peter Agapoglou directly at AutoSport <[email protected]>
The kit has a thermal switch set at 190 F
It mounts at the drain plug.

I have a 2015 with no temp sensor for limp mode (some would say that is a good thing, but I don't want to cook the diff!) So I only have the fill and top off taps. I can't tell from the pics if you need more than those two in order to use your kit?

Champracerj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP2
I have a 2015 with no temp sensor for limp mode (some would say that is a good thing, but I don't want to cook the diff!) So I only have the fill and top off taps. I can't tell from the pics if you need more than those two in order to use your kit?
That's all that is required. The temp switch comes with the kit and installs in the fitting at the drain plug. At 190 F it trips and sends voltage to the relay with turns on the fan and the pump.

racingandfishing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
That's all that is required. The temp switch comes with the kit and installs in the fitting at the drain plug. At 190 F it trips and sends voltage to the relay with turns on the fan and the pump.
Thanks for all of the info on this topic! I like the idea that I don't have to drop the whole diff to install it using a new diff cover like some of the other versions. Since I don't have the sensor though, not sure how to monitor the diff temp. Any idea if that info can be garnered from the temp switch?

Champracerj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP2
Thanks for all of the info on this topic! I like the idea that I don't have to drop the whole diff to install it using a new diff cover like some of the other versions. Since I don't have the sensor though, not sure how to monitor the diff temp. Any idea if that info can be garnered from the temp switch?
Well, with the temp switch that comes with the kit you could connect a light and put it on you dash that would light any time the the pump and fan are running but that wouldn't tell you max temp.
You could look for a combination Temp sending unit and switch that would turn on the pump/fan and provide signal to a gauge for temp. Or a sending unit and a smart gauge were you can set a temp limit and it will turn on the pump and fan.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
it would be interesting to pour a can of slick 50 into the diff to see if that decreases temps
Not at all sure how the differential's limited slip properties would be affected, no matter which kind of diff we're thinking about.

Norm

thornclaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
one time i poured some slick fifty thoughtlessly into a motorcycle crankcase forgetting it had a wet clutch. the clutch would slip under hard acceleration. had to drain it and put in new oil. so the stuff is pretty slippery. i suspect if you used it on a clutch pack lsd it would cause problems. but a torsen/quaif is gear operated and no clutch
plates so it might work.

2018OFPP1?2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Vehicle(s)
'92 LX 5.0 Vert, 2018 GT PP2
one time i poured some slick fifty thoughtlessly into a motorcycle crankcase forgetting it had a wet clutch. the clutch would slip under hard acceleration. had to drain it and put in new oil. so the stuff is pretty slippery. i suspect if you used it on a clutch pack lsd it would cause problems. but a torsen/quaif is gear operated and no clutch
plates so it might work.
Screenshot_20200831-083431.png

thornclaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
yes i saw that
but it also says it can be used in an open diff
the only way it could cause a torsen to malfunction is if it dropped the friction so low that the spur gear could turn the worm gear which i think is unlikely. in any case its a quick and easy experiment with little downside. i would do it myself except i have clutch pack lsd. here is a link to a video explaining the torsen.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I'm pretty sure that the bias ratio would be affected. But I don't know by how much or even which way.

It may be possible to infer something if you can find information regarding the use vs non-use of normal limited slip additive in a Torsen. I suspect this would be easier to find than information regarding the use of Slick 50 in a Torsen directly.

Norm

thornclaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
I'm pretty sure that the bias ratio would be affected. But I don't know by how much or even which way.

It may be possible to infer something if you can find information regarding the use vs non-use of normal limited slip additive in a Torsen. I suspect this would be easier to find than information regarding the use of Slick 50 in a Torsen directly.

Norm
it looks like from the video it would be an all or none phenomenon. either the spur gear could turn the worm gear or not. if it could not then we should be good.
as an aside, the torsen is really a beautiful piece of engineering. after i saw the video i wanted one.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
the only way it could cause a torsen to malfunction is if it dropped the friction so low that the spur gear could turn the worm gear which i think is unlikely.
it's impossible.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
it looks like from the video it would be an all or none phenomenon. either the spur gear could turn the worm gear or not. if it could not then we should be good.
as an aside, the torsen is really a beautiful piece of engineering. after i saw the video i wanted one.
Bias ratio isn't the same thing as slip or the ability of the spur gear to turn the worm gear.

Norm