2018 GT PP1 Purchase, Thoughts?

PhotoSHO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2020 5.0 GT PP1
Get it, life is short, enjoy. I've had mine for 2 months now and it's been fun.
Sponsored

OP
OP

3X4X4

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
06 Tacoma TRD, 06 Wrangler Rubicon, 18 Renegade
the fanciest package gropu

I bought that exact config (albeit 2019) with a 40.4 MSRP for 36 new. Therefore a fair price for your car is 40.4 * 0.85 * (0.9^2) = 27.8k. Since it has only 4000 miles add another grand for 28.8k. I wouldn't pay more than 29k for it +tax+title.

The season for buying Mustangs is over. Cram the dealer's stupidity down his own throat.

If the dealer is asking stupid money buy this instead of sell off the wheels/tires.
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/for-sale-2020-mustang-gt-w-pp2-40-000.164932/

You can get EB|GT PP1 wheels for cheap, or you can buy new Mach1 HP wheels for $1000. Wheels are a dime a dozen.
Thank you for the info. Unfortunately the car is at CarMax which will not generally haggle very much and they are wanting about 6K more than that. This given I was told by the Ford dealer new orders are a year out, the Mazda dealer (I had a MX5) is at least 6 months out and there are very few cars anywhere that are absolutely clean, no nicks, no rock chips and no miles on them used (or for that matter new). I may have to pay a premium to get a car this clean given the social disfunction caused by the Pandemonium.

J

Kermut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach M5413
You can get EB|GT PP1 wheels for cheap, or you can buy new Mach1 HP wheels for $1000. Wheels are a dime a dozen.
To clarify, that’s $1k/each wheel:wink:, at least until copart stocks up….

Kermut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach M5413
Thank you for the info. Unfortunately the car is at CarMax which will not generally haggle very much and they are wanting about 6K more than that. This given I was told by the Ford dealer new orders are a year out, the Mazda dealer (I had a MX5) is at least 6 months out and there are very few cars anywhere that are absolutely clean, no nicks, no rock chips and no miles on them used (or for that matter new). I may have to pay a premium to get a car this clean given the social disfunction caused by the Pandemonium.

J
You are also unfortunately looking at a very bad time as the 2021 order bank just closed (I think). Otherwise the base GT wait times have been very reasonable for ordering based on my limited knowledge, as in 2-4 months. I’m not sure what a 2022 would be but I’m guessing April of next year

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Unfortunately the car is at CarMax which will not generally haggle very much and they are wanting about 6K more than that.
which is a total ripoff. But if you "gotta have it" then you'll have to ante up. I would wait for the bottom to drop out of the grossly inflated market. Give it to about Feb/March. Maybe sooner.

If you want a new base GT, there are a good handful here in NoVA.

OP
OP

3X4X4

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
which is a total ripoff. But if you "gotta have it" then you'll have to ante up. I would wait for the bottom to drop out of the grossly inflated market. Give it to about Feb/March. Maybe sooner.

If you want a new base GT, there are a good handful here in NoVA.
Yeah, I know. It is a mess now. But here is the KBB I think:

Screen-Shot-2021-10-16-at-8-06-53-PM.png

LOL, North Virginia might as well be the moon. Most of the cars I come across are automatics or they have been ridden hard and put away wet even with low miles.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, I know. It is a mess now.

LOL, North Virginia might as well be the moon. Most of the cars I come across are automatics or they have been ridden hard and put away wet even with low miles.
or order a 2022 from Grainger. Iowa isn't that far from you. And it's hard to argue with 4% below invoice.

Kermut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach M5413
no it's 1000 for a brand new set of 4. 19x10.5/11
We are talking about the bird nest flow forged light weight ones right? I swear jay at granger posted that it was $4k for a set. Where/who is selling them cheaper?

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
We are talking about the bird nest flow forged light weight ones right? I swear jay at granger posted that it was $4k for a set. Where/who is selling them cheaper?
there's like 3 threads on this. They are FP and yes the 'birds nest' HP wheels in dark gray. Levittown.
Ford Performance Wheel Kit Mach 1 Handling Pack HP - M-1007K-MACH1H | Levittown Ford (levittownfordparts.com)

Yes there seems to be some debate as to why Ford also sells the birds nest for $870 each.
Genuine Ford Wheel 19" x 10.5" Mach 1 HP Front - MR3Z-1007-D | Levittown Ford (levittownfordparts.com)

The FP part is known to be cast. We don't know what's up with the Ford part and the 3x premium. Flow-formed wheels should only be about $100 more than cast. So Ford's individual wheel pricing is preposterous. Hell, I bought a set of genuine forged Shelby wheels for the price of 2 of the Ford HP wheels. And you can buy a new set of them for considerably less than 4x$870.

Last edited:
OP
OP

3X4X4

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
or order a 2022 from Grainger. Iowa isn't that far from you. And it's hard to argue with 4% below invoice.
Grainger has a similar Mustang to the one I am looking at except with auto and it is a 2018 with 13,000 miles priced at $36,988. So, they are selling new less than used?

I was really wanting to understand options, positives and negatives of them, mechanical issues, things to look out for etc. When it comes to price, everybody always gets a better deal or a cheaper price or has a magic formula but if I look, I do not see that reflected in reality of today.

J

Last edited:

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
When it comes to price, everybody always gets a better deal or a cheaper price but if I look, I do not see that reflected in reality of today.
today is not reality. it's full-tilt situational delusion. If you buy used 'today' you will take an even bigger bath than normal years when you buy new. If you don't need a car then don't buy, period, or insist you'll only buy at what was usual and customary pricing before 2020. It'll mean revert, but if you're smart it won't come out your hide.

Today I talked to a dealer about one of his cars he has at at least 3 grand too high. Just 40 days ago he had it advertised at 7 grand too high. The prices are coming down and some of these dealerships are gonna take some major losses. As they absolutely should. You make THEM eat the loss, not you. They get to write it off in tax abatement, you can't.

I give it another 30 days and the car will be down another 2 grand and I should be able to get them to finally knuckle under. They are desperately hoping some fool will come in and pay the ask and bail them out of a bad situation.

Last edited:

Kermut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach M5413
Grainger has a similar Mustang to the one I am looking at except with auto and it is a 2018 with 13,000 miles priced at $36,988. So, they are selling new less than used?

I was really wanting to understand options, positives and negatives of them, mechanical issues, things to look out for etc. When it comes to price, everybody always gets a better deal or a cheaper price or has a magic formula but if I look, I do not see that reflected in reality of today.

J
Shogun32 is right, the market today is full-tilt insane. I had my heart set on a GT350 but I'm ordering a new Mach 1 because I refuse to pay MSRP on a two year old vehicle with $10k+ miles. You should do the same, unless you literally need the car today.

Anyway that rant aside, I have no idea what Grainger in Des Moines carries on the used market or how they price them, but if you order something from the factory from them they will sell it to you for 4% below invoice or ~8-9% below MSRP, and they will honor that price when it is delivered to them from the factory, which is very much a rarity in these times. And they are very pleasant to deal with.

RE the options....you can spend many, many hours learning about them if you really want to. From your earlier post it sounded like you did not want the latest and greatest electronics or a leather interior, so that would put you in the GT 300a package (base GT, MSRP $37k). So that would be ~$34k if you ordered it from Grainger or Chapman. If you want you can add the performance package 1 (PP1) for $6.5k.

My $0.02 is that if you start going down the route of adding in the tech stuff and the performance package you are better off just ordering a Mach like I did. Or as Shogun pointed out, just wait till the craziness is over and buy something used, but I think it's going to be longer than 1-2 months for that to happen (I'm guessing a year).
Sponsored