Threads
Reaction score
Website
flickr.com
First Name
Howie
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2000 Mercedes C280
Forgot to mention that I had them enlarge the strut tower hole while they were at it!

IMG_0788.jpeg
Looks clean too. Having just a proper alignment alone helps so much.
Sponsored

rxryanm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GTP PP1
This was a fun lil thread to read through over the past couple of days and has got me itching to try HPDE out this spring.

OP
OP
txgt

txgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium 6-speed Manual
This was a fun lil thread to read through over the past couple of days and has got me itching to try HPDE out this spring.
Thank you! Itā€™s been a blast wrenching on her and taking her to the track.

I highly recommend getting into HPDE! Itā€™s such a fun way to put our cars and ourselves to the test. I know Iā€™ve learned and progressed so much these past three years.

What tracks to you have locally? Iā€™m not super familiar with the Kentucky area but I know yaā€™ll have NCM Motorsport Park in Bowling Green.

rxryanm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GTP PP1
Thank you! Itā€™s been a blast wrenching on her and taking her to the track.

I highly recommend getting into HPDE! Itā€™s such a fun way to put our cars and ourselves to the test. I know Iā€™ve learned and progressed so much these past three years.

What tracks to you have locally? Iā€™m not super familiar with the Kentucky area but I know yaā€™ll have NCM Motorsport Park in Bowling Green.
I had to look it up, it's not something I'd thought about before. Definitely will depend on your definition of local lol. NCM's the only one in Kentucky and is about 2 hours away. Don't know if Indy does anything , but it's 3 hours away. So is Flatrock (new track) in TN. Mid-Ohio is right at 4 away.

Now to find out where HPDE is offered and go from there.

Sponsored

Ballistica

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I had to look it up, it's not something I'd thought about before. Definitely will depend on your definition of local lol. NCM's the only one in Kentucky and is about 2 hours away. Don't know if Indy does anything , but it's 3 hours away. So is Flatrock (new track) in TN. Mid-Ohio is right at 4 away.

Now to find out where HPDE is offered and go from there.
I've gone to SCCA's Track Night in America events local to me in Chicago. A quick search on their website says they had a couple of events at NCM last year. Might be worth keeping an eye out for future events once the schedule for 2024 is released.

https://www.tracknightinamerica.com/events/2002883-track-night-2023-ncm-motorsports-park-may-6

These events are great for beginners to HPDE. No pressure, relaxed atmosphere, super nice staff who will take the time to answer your questions and give you tips/pointers. Perfect place to start.

rxryanm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GTP PP1
Check out motorsportreg.com for events!
Oh, nice. Good looking out! I see a winter karting league in Indy and would love for us to have one here.
And already found a track I didn't think about - Nashville. Event in late February and that seems crazy early to me, but it'll probably be in the 70s by then with how weird the weather's been.

I've gone to SCCA's Track Night in America events local to me in Chicago. A quick search on their website says they had a couple of events at NCM last year. Might be worth keeping an eye out for future events once the schedule for 2024 is released.

https://www.tracknightinamerica.com/events/2002883-track-night-2023-ncm-motorsports-park-may-6

These events are great for beginners to HPDE. No pressure, relaxed atmosphere, super nice staff who will take the time to answer your questions and give you tips/pointers. Perfect place to start.
I'd heard only good things about Track Night in America. I'll have to check them out too, thanks!

dupp403

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT premium (6spd)
@txgt do you still plan on dailying the car with the -3.0 camber?

OP
OP
txgt

txgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
@txgt do you still plan on dailying the car with the -3.0 camber?
Great question. I keep hearing, ā€œItā€™s not camber that kills tires, itā€™s toeā€

If that turns out to be true then I should be good with 0 in. total toe. But weā€™ll see after I put some more miles on the Indy 500s to see how they wear.

dupp403

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT premium (6spd)
Great question. I keep hearing, ā€œItā€™s not camber that kills tires, itā€™s toeā€

If that turns out to be true then I should be good with 0 in. total toe. But weā€™ll see after I put some more miles on the Indy 500s to see how they wear.
Iā€™m sure thatā€™s true to a point. Iā€™m at -1.9 on the front. With 2,000 miles on the tires they seem to be wearing really well with 0 toe.

Sponsored
OP
OP
txgt

txgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
Build Date: December 29, 2023

Going on my 3rd year of owning this car and I finally installed the BMR CB005 Cradle Bushing Lockout Kit. I know this is one of the first suggested mods for our S550ā€™s, but I always seemed to prioritize other track day mods above this.

The install was pretty straight forward, but centering the cradle was a bit of a pain. I watched a few YouTube videos to see if anyone had some amazing secrets to make this super simple, but alas no.

However, I did come across this video that shows the absolute WRONG way to do the install! Honestly, I'm pretty shocked that the shop seemingly didn't read the install instructions that came with the kit at all. šŸ˜³

I did a test drive and every thing seems to be good. My next track day is Jan 6th out at MSR Cresson driving the 1.7ccw configuration. It will be interesting to see how the car handles with the cradle lockout, front control arm spherical bearings, and the Hankook RS4ā€™s on the Apex 19x11ā€˜s šŸ˜Ž

IMG_0929.jpeg

OP
OP
txgt

txgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
Build Date: February 22, 2024

Itā€™s common knowledge around here that the oil temperature on our cars is inferred from other sensors. On top of that, my GT Premium trim level doesnā€™t come with transmission or differential temp sensors.

Taking a page from Terry Fair and the Vorshlag team, I decided to add some gauges to have a better understanding of what Iā€™m putting my car through on track days. I went with the same Ford Performance Dash Gauge Pod (M-6304GPOD-A). For what it is, this thing is a bit expensive, but IMO itā€™s the best looking gauge pod available.

I went with the GlowShift Elite 10 color series and their oil pressure, oil temp, and transmission temp gauges. I went with this series because of their low/high-warning modes, and peak recall features. I really wanted to get some Autometer Ultra-Lite or Speedhut gauges, but those are easily at least two to three times as expensive as the GlowShift counterparts.

IMG_1032.jpeg

By focusing on engine and trans, I have fulfilled the ā€œmonitor the most expensive parts firstā€ principle. One day I might add in a fourth gauge for differential temp using an air vent gauge pod adapter in the center dash vent. In the meantime, Iā€™ll just be very diligent about diff fluid maintenance.

For the oil pressure and oil temperature sensors, I was able to tap into the two 1/8ā€ NPT ports on the Mishimoto oil coolerā€™s thermostatic sandwich plate. Due to space constraints around the alternator, the oil pressure sensor has to use the ā€œcoldā€ side (post oil cooler) of the sandwich plate while the oil temp sensor has to use the ā€œhotā€ side (pre oil cooler).

IMG_1218.jpeg

I did a lot of planning on how I was going to route the wires from the sensors to the gauge pod. I finally settled on doing a sound tube delete and routing the wires through the hole in the firewall. I tried to remove the 10 mm nut holding the sound tube on, but I have no idea how thatā€™s even possible for an adult sized arm! So, I ended up doing the recommended ā€œjust yank that damn thing offā€ approach. The gas pedal blocking the cabin side of the sound tube firewall hole, so it was removed for easy routing of the sensor wires.

I didnā€™t want to just drill a hole through the rubber plug that came with the sound delete kit. I wanted a proper grommet to protect the wires and seal any gaps. I found that a 1/2ā€ webbed grommet out of this Performance Tool rubber grommet kit worked best. Using my drill press, I think I put a 1/4ā€ hole in the middle of the grommet webbing to run the three sensor wires through. Next I used a 1/2ā€ drill bit to put a hole in the rubber plug that came with the sound tube delete kit. Iā€™m really happy how this turned out!

IMG_1204.jpeg

IMG_1210.jpeg

The transmission temp wire wasnā€™t long enough, so I used some 18 gauge wires to extend the wiring and finished it off with a 2 way Weather Pack connector at the sensor, which uses an M16 x 1.5 Male to 1/8-27 NPT Female Thread Adapter in the drain plug to mount the sensor.

To keep all the sensor wiring protected from heat, I used two DEI 1/2ā€ Heat Sheath Sleeves. The transmission sensor wire runs through a sleeve along the driver side of the transmission. It then gets added to a second sleeve along with the oil pressure and temp wires and is routed along the driver side engine bay to the firewall grommet.

IMG_1251.jpeg

The Ford Racing gauge pod is mounted to the center dash speaker grille. I picked up a used Speaker Grille off eBay so I could revert back to stock if I ever wanted to remove the gauges. My car actually has the center dash speaker so that came out to make room for the wiring. To get the wires from the firewall to the dash, I fished some mechanics wire between through the top of the dash and then taped the sensor wires to the wire and gently pulled it through.

IMG_1079.jpeg

IMG_1086.jpeg

To power the gauges, I again used some mechanics wire to help route some 18 gauge 4 conductor wire to the passenger floorboard fuse box. I used a couple of ATR Fuse Taps to get 12-volt constant (#2) and 12-volt switched (#23), and grounded on to a nearby location. The orange dimming wire on the gauge pod is connected to the yellow wire in the 18-4C wiring. This wire should tap into a 12-volt lighting source (something that only turns on during the night) to signal the gauges to dim by 30%. I havenā€™t connected and will leave this for another day.

IMG_1259.jpeg

Overall Iā€™m pretty happy with how everything turned out, but if I had a bit more money to spend, I would have gone with different gauges. I really love the peak recall setting of these gauges and the price point is very good compared to others on the market.

IMG_1274.jpeg

Pros
  • Price
  • Peak recall
Cons
  • The LED back-lighting makes it very hard to take a video or pictures of the gauges due to the LED flicker
  • The lenses on the gauges have a thick bezel which makes it hard to see the left side numbers on the middle and passenger side gauges
  • The white led color has a bit of a pink-ish tint to it and so doesnā€™t quite match the white backlighting of the factory tach and ground speed gauges

krishelnino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krishna
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 Race Red
just come across this thread and went through all the posts. Great work, keep it going. I did something similar with the gauges few years ago. I added Glowshift elite for engine oil temp (used a sandwich adapter near enginer oil filetr), trans and differential oil temp(near drain plugs). I didn't know about the FP gauge pod back then, so got a generic one from Glowshift website. But the FP one looks much cleaner. A couple of questions

1) Did you ever figure out the dimming or get it to work ?
2) My sensors are hardwired currently near diff and trans drain plugs. I need to figure out a way to add a connector so that I can quickly disconnect during oil changes. What is the connector you used near your transmission drain sensor ?

20240304_140055.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
txgt

txgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
just come across this thread and went through all the posts. Great work, keep it going. I did something similar with the gauges few years ago. I added Glowshift elite for engine oil temp (used a sandwich adapter near enginer oil filetr), trans and differential oil temp(near drain plugs). I didn't know about the FP gauge pod back then, so got a generic one from Glowshift website. But the FP one looks much cleaner. A couple of questions

1) Did you ever figure out the dimming or get it to work ?
2) My sensors are hardwired currently near diff and trans drain plugs. I need to figure out a way to add a connector so that I can quickly disconnect during oil changes. What is the connector you used near your transmission drain sensor ?

20240304_140055.jpg
Nice install!

I still haven't wired this up yet, but from my research it seems that this is the way to go.

I bought this Weather Pack kit off Amazon for my trans sensor connector. It was the cheapest I could find that had a decent crimp tool. If you lived close to me I'd let you borrow my kit!

Last edited:
OP
OP
txgt

txgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
Build Date: February 22, 2024

I love to record my track day sessions so I can review the video and see where I need to improve (and yeahā€¦ I need a lot of improvement! šŸ˜‚)

My lap recording setup to date has been to use a windshield suction cup mount to hold my iPhone while the TrackAddict Pro app records data and video. Iā€˜m using the PLX Kiwi 3 OBD2 adapter for vehicle data and the Dual XGPS160 SkyPro for enhanced GPS accuracy.

As part of the gauge pod install, I wanted to see if I could come up with an alternative phone mounting solution that wouldnā€™t depend on the windshield suction cup. After a lot of internet searching, I finally decided on the RAM Mount Quick-Grip XL with the drill-down base. My idea was to leave the ball-mount permanently attached to the speaker grill and add in the arm and phone mount just for track days.

An issue I had with this setup was that the backside of the phone mount completely covers the iPhone camera lenses. Using a hacksaw to remove some material, I was able to expose the wide and telephoto lenses of my iPhone 13 Pro. The ultra-wide lens is still blocked, but thatā€˜s not an issue as the wide lens is used for videos.

IMG_0046.jpeg

IMG_0065.jpeg

IMG_0071.jpeg

While itā€™s really easy to remove the phone mount and arm when Iā€™m not at the track, it turns out I really hate the way the ball mount looks next to the gauge pod. So, to save the aesthetics of the dash, I made the ball mount removable as well. I accomplished this by securing some rivnuts to a thin metal plate that I riveted to the speaker grille.

IMG_1262.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited: