2018 GT A10 jerking into gear

ironsurvivor

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium/401a/10r80
Mine would lurch really hard when shifting into drive to the point you better have the brake pressed down hard when you shift into it because it will jerk you. Took it to the dealer a couple months ago and they reflashed the transmission and its been perfect ever since.
Sponsored

crimson_crowd_eater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
So I have a 2018 A10 and it really lurches when I put it in drive as well. I always thought it was normal, though I had never seen another Mustang in video or in person do that. The jerk is pretty bad, like with a full brake press you kind of just get thrown forward. Should I just take this to Ford and have them reflash it or is there any other solution? If I go to Ford is it a warranty thing or will I have to pay $100s?

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
So I have a 2018 A10 and it really lurches when I put it in drive as well. I always thought it was normal, though I had never seen another Mustang in video or in person do that. The jerk is pretty bad, like with a full brake press you kind of just get thrown forward. Should I just take this to Ford and have them reflash it or is there any other solution? If I go to Ford is it a warranty thing or will I have to pay $100s?
If you bought the 2018 new, yes, it’s fully warranted and you’re not expected to pay ANYTHING out of pocket.

This has been a known issue and just as of recently, GM Owners have started a class action suit against GM for their 8-SPR tans that is doinghe same thing - extremely hard shifts when driving, when coming to a stop and lurching/jerking when putting it into gear. Check the thread I put up in the Lougensecitin on here that has the GM CA details.

The 10R80 has the following known issues, that is not affecting all, but for most who belong to this forum, there’s been a few threads like this one.

Issues:
Bad valve body
Bad 2 clutch pack
Low trans fluid (yes, some folks have had their Dealership and DIYers discover the trans was low on fluid from the factory)
Trans reflash (this has solved the issue for most.

The valve body and 2gear issue are the most extreme problems, where in some cases members have reported that the transmission was replaced under warranty because iternal damage was extreme resulting from failure of those items.

I also have a 10R80 thread in the Issues/TSB sub-forum on here that has all of the current S550 10R80 Ford docs pertaining to known issues.

crimson_crowd_eater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
If you bought the 2018 new, yes, it’s fully warranted and you’re not expected to pay ANYTHING out of pocket.

This has been a known issue and just as of recently, GM Owners have started a class action suit against GM for their 8-SPR tans that is doinghe same thing - extremely hard shifts when driving, when coming to a stop and lurching/jerking when putting it into gear. Check the thread I put up in the Lougensecitin on here that has the GM CA details.

The 10R80 has the following known issues, that is not affecting all, but for most who belong to this forum, there’s been a few threads like this one.

Issues:
Bad valve body
Bad 2 clutch pack
Low trans fluid (yes, some folks have had their Dealership and DIYers discover the trans was low on fluid from the factory)
Trans reflash (this has solved the issue for most.

The valve body and 2gear issue are the most extreme problems, where in some cases members have reported that the transmission was replaced under warranty because iternal damage was extreme resulting from failure of those items.

I also have a 10R80 thread in the Issues/TSB sub-forum on here that has all of the current S550 10R80 Ford docs pertaining to known issues.
Yeah, I contacted my local dealership earlier today and they said that it would be a week to reflash the car and I would have to leave it with them. I asked if I could schedule an appointment and bring it in on that date but they said that from whatever date I drop it off, it'll be a week. I talked to Michael Mac earlier on YT and he mentioned to check the trans oil level before doing anything, so I'll try that first. If all else fails I can do the reflash but a week seems really inconvenient for a software something like that.

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
I asked if I could schedule an appointment and bring it in on that date but they said that from whatever date I drop it off, it'll be a week.
That is absolutely insane. I wouldn't let that dealer anywhere near my car. There is no reason why you should have to leave your car there for a week.

Sponsored

subbz

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Performance Pack Level 2

crimson_crowd_eater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
That is absolutely insane. I wouldn't let that dealer anywhere near my car. There is no reason why you should have to leave your car there for a week.
Oh yeah, it's definitely crazy. I'm going to take it to another dealer in the area.

crimson_crowd_eater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Update on my car: I took my car to the dealer (not the one that told me it would be a week to run a transmission diagnostic) and told them about the hard shifts and lurching, so they took it into the shop and about an hour later they said that everything looks good mechanically and they reflashed the transmission and did a drive cycle on it and I was good to go. I immediately noticed better shifting and no lurches. They also said that they've had a few other A10 2018's with the same issue and it's fairly common and easily fixable with a reflash.

Woopaloop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10R80
Update on my car: I took my car to the dealer (not the one that told me it would be a week to run a transmission diagnostic) and told them about the hard shifts and lurching, so they took it into the shop and about an hour later they said that everything looks good mechanically and they reflashed the transmission and did a drive cycle on it and I was good to go. I immediately noticed better shifting and no lurches. They also said that they've had a few other A10 2018's with the same issue and it's fairly common and easily fixable with a reflash.
There is s common software related issue concerning this. Ford released an updated version of the software and now things are better, the transmission is a lot tamer in drive mode now.

Zathras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
My late-'18 A10 with the 3.55 ratio isn't harsh when shifting into D or R, and it's not harsh in Normal drive mode---but put in in Sport or Track, and it puts a lot of kick into some of the shifts (but not others). At full throttle it's fine because the shift shock is kind of absorbed by the drivetrain load and the g-forces already going on. But at light or medium throttle, it often upshifts with a big jolt for no apparent reason. Enough to hurt my lower back and mess up my throttle control through driver-induced oscillation. Does that sound normal? If it was actually broken or if the line pressure was off, wouldn't it set a check engine light, or the wrench light, or some code?

I don't really want to go to the dealer with this until I know more. I don't trust dealers and I don't want the car to be out of service for days or weeks over what might just be "normal" operation for the sport mode.

Sponsored

crimson_crowd_eater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
My late-'18 A10 with the 3.55 ratio isn't harsh when shifting into D or R, and it's not harsh in Normal drive mode---but put in in Sport or Track, and it puts a lot of kick into some of the shifts (but not others). At full throttle it's fine because the shift shock is kind of absorbed by the drivetrain load and the g-forces already going on. But at light or medium throttle, it often upshifts with a big jolt for no apparent reason. Enough to hurt my lower back and mess up my throttle control through driver-induced oscillation. Does that sound normal? If it was actually broken or if the line pressure was off, wouldn't it set a check engine light, or the wrench light, or some code?

I don't really want to go to the dealer with this until I know more. I don't trust dealers and I don't want the car to be out of service for days or weeks over what might just be "normal" operation for the sport mode.
I don't think it would necessarily throw a code or engage the engine light. My only advice would be to go to a dealer. If it's anything like my experience then everything should be fixed with a reflash to that newer software.

Zathras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Since my car is a late-build '18 (Mid or late May), i don't think there is a 'later' transmission calibration or flash version available (at least I've never found documentation for one.). If someone has a link or a reference to a specific version number or TSB for the A10 which applies to vehicles built in May 2018 or later, I'd be very interested to see it.

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Orange Fury), 401A, A10, 3.55

Nov 2017 build and mine has a harsh 2-3 and a jolting 4-5 shift in sport mode or manual shifting via paddles. It was not there when new but started to happen over time. I am at 25K miles now and like you mentioned, does it in part throttle more than at WOT. I will take it in soon and have them look it over.

18 Smoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang GT PP1 400a
Since my car is a late-build '18 (Mid or late May), i don't think there is a 'later' transmission calibration or flash version available (at least I've never found documentation for one.). If someone has a link or a reference to a specific version number or TSB for the A10 which applies to vehicles built in May 2018 or later, I'd be very interested to see it.
No TSB, but mine was built in May 18 and they took it over to the service department and did a trans update the day I bought the car. July 18 ????

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
No TSB, but mine was built in May 18 and they took it over to the service department and did a trans update the day I bought the car. July 18 ????
I assume you can’t get the trans update if you have an aftermarket tune ?
Sponsored