Sponsored

2018 GT A10 jerking into gear

FilthyCoyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10
Hello, I have a 2018 GT Prem with a10 that is jerking when putting the car into drive. I have ensured the car reproduces the problem every time whether on flat level ground and whether the vehicle is warm or cold. Has anyone else experienced this or know of a TSB out for the issue?

Thank you
Sponsored

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
Hello, I have a 2018 GT Prem with a10 that is jerking when putting the car into drive. I have ensured the car reproduces the problem every time whether on flat level ground and whether the vehicle is warm or cold. Has anyone else experienced this or know of a TSB out for the issue?

Thank you
How is this "jerking" different from what normally happens with many cars when an automatic is put into drive?

My A10 behaves/feels the same as any other automatic I've driven. There is a slight "jerk" as the engine pushes against the torque converter. This is one reason why modern cars require the brake to be applied before being able to shift into gear.

Edited to add: I only have experience with cars with conventional torque converter type automatics and which don't have any significant ability to keep the car from moving forward in gear at a stop other than brake pressure from the driver.

Last edited:
OP
OP
FilthyCoyote

FilthyCoyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10
How is this "jerking" different from what normally happens when an automatic is put into drive?

My A10 behaves/feels the same as any other automatic I've driven. There is a slight "jerk" as the engine pushes against the torque converter. This is one reason why modern cars require the brake to be applied before being able to shift into gear.

Aggressive to the point of simulating bad mounts. Completely abnormal

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
I think Michael Mac has this issue, idk if hes resolved it yet or diagnosed it yet.

he posts here too, you can ask him. Id like to know what the issue is too.

OP
OP
FilthyCoyote

FilthyCoyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10
I think Michael Mac has this issue, idk if hes resolved it yet or diagnosed it yet.

he posts here too, you can ask him. Id like to know what the issue is too.

He thinks his was due to high line pressure and says the problem has not returned. Not sure how that could relate to my scenario :/

Sponsored

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
He thinks his was due to high line pressure and says the problem has not returned. Not sure how that could relate to my scenario :/
Are you tuned? I talked to him on youtube just now and he said he reflashed his tune and it hasnt been back.

OP
OP
FilthyCoyote

FilthyCoyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10
Are you tuned? I talked to him on youtube just now and he said he reflashed his tune and it hasnt been back.
100% Bone stock, daily driver, never raced, and actually due for an oil change since it has factory oil in it still.

I am thinking there is a software update for the trans or something.

boogs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP Auto
Mine had the same issue (car is completely stock too). Took it in, had the transmission software updated then all was good... until tonight when the tranny shit the bed. Locked up, got really hot, made loud banging sounds followed by marbles in a dryer sounds. It's at Ford and i'm driving an Escape.

OP
OP
FilthyCoyote

FilthyCoyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10
Mine had the same issue (car is completely stock too). Took it in, had the transmission software updated then all was good... until tonight when the tranny shit the bed. Locked up, got really hot, made loud banging sounds followed by marbles in a dryer sounds. It's at Ford and i'm driving an Escape.
Ahh shit, I don't like hearing this kind of stuff. I hope they get you taken care of on your car properly. I don't even want to relay your story by with the woman, she would flip.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What were you doing when it blew out? Just driving normal? Doesnt sound good.

The only weird thing my trans has done is if I put it in sport mode right after starting it and started using paddles when going around a corner it seemed to go in neutral or downshift when I was telling it to upshift once..

Sponsored

boogs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP Auto
"What were you doing when it blew out? Just driving normal? Doesnt sound good."

I drive the car to work everyday in the summer - 110 miles round trip. I rarely drive the car hard.

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
For what its worth I have about 175 autocross runs and a lot of "learn how the transmission behaves" other full throttle starts and both manual and automatic shifts at or near the GT rev limit. The engine has been near or on the rev limiter many times in 1st and 2nd gear and at high revs in 3rd. The car has about 16K miles. Always stock tune. So far no issues . . . but I do have the Ford ESP 100K warranty just in case.

FYI if you are shifting manually it is best to short shift a little early to avoid hitting the limiter which also slows the shift. Been there, done that. :-(

Edit to add: My car was assembled a day or two before the Christmas break in 2017 and delivered to me in mid January 2018.

Sawyerjames

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt A10
Vehicle Showcase

Thank you
I have not had this issue yet. Only time will tell, I just hit 6,000 miles, and I will say this transmission has a mind of its own. I thought my last BMW dual clutch transmission was quirky, but this new A10 is wild. It's not enough to turn me off of the car, but I definitely don't think a 2018 transmission should do some of the things this one does. My tune helped some in smoothing it out, and allowing for better shift points, but now I have this thing where it wants to all the sudden rev and take off when I hit the brake slowly from a slow cruising speed. It only happens after first starting to drive after the car has been parked for a few hours. It is dangerous if I ever happened to be only a car length behind the car infront of me and it wanted to do this.

Ylow281

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang GT/2018 Mustang GT

My car does the same thing and there is another thread in this section that talks about this. I have this issue and the hard downshifts. I called my dealer and talked to the service manager last week. He said he hadn't heard of the problem yet but come down and take him for a ride because he's driven quite a few A10's. I hope he agrees its not normal because it isn't.