Sponsored

2018 gauge cluster retrofit

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
Haha what is more liking is that they changed as little as possible between the 6r80 and 10r80 in order to save costs on the refresh. If that is the case I think its a good bet that the gears will display correctly but just wont go up to 10. It is also just as likely that the transmission communicates its gear info in a completely different manner software wise and will not be compatible.
All true.. Glad I have a manual!! :headbang:
Sponsored

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
Haha what is more liking is that they changed as little as possible between the 6r80 and 10r80 in order to save costs on the refresh. If that is the case I think its a good bet that the gears will display correctly but just wont go up to 10. It is also just as likely that the transmission communicates its gear info in a completely different manner software wise and will not be compatible.
That's the great part about CAN-BUS. It won't be different.

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2019 Harley Davidson F150 68 GTA
I wondrer how this changes for manual's on the shift or different modes ? I wonder is there a difference in the GT350 programming.

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
I wondrer how this changes for manual's on the shift or different modes ? I wonder is there a difference in the GT350 programming.
do we even know if the digital cluster is available for the stick?

EDIT: according to the Build & Price, yes... they are available together. I doubt the manual displays which gear you're in.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
I think this is an issue that must me discussed in the As-built data thread. If we can find the as-built data of the IPC module of a 2018 model and compare it with a 2015-17, we might identify what needs to be changed.
Ask and you shall receive. Haha

Top is 2018 LCD
Bottom is 2017

The LCD seems to have a few extra lines of code.

Edit: Added a more direct comparison between 2 premium GT automatics. One 2017 and one 2018.
2018 IPC.PNG
2017 IPC.PNG

Sponsored

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
A 2017 miraculous little beast
Nice find Zack!

There are not just a few extra lines on the IPC module of the 2018 with digital dash. You will notice that there are also differences in blocks 720-01-01 to 720-07-02 that are present to both models. It would be a good project to analyze those differences/additional blocks.

The thing is that although we can modify existing blocks, we cannot add extra blocks to a module using FORScan, maybe the dealer can? :shrug:

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If we can figure out what all of those blocks represent, that would be fantastic.. By we, I mean people other than me that don't just see gibberish.

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking at the analog gauge in the 2018.. I wonder if that one would be an easier swap? I like the 7,400 RPM redline.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Looking at the analog gauge in the 2018.. I wonder if that one would be an easier swap? I like the 7,400 RPM redline.
Analog will likely have the same issues (if any) as a LCD due to the drive mode differences and any other unknown software differences. It would certainly be cheaper though and might help confirm a few things for the LCD swap.

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Analog will likely have the same issues (if any) as a LCD due to the drive mode differences and any other unknown software differences. It would certainly be cheaper though and might help confirm a few things for the LCD swap.

The drive modes should be the same for a manual..Correct? I have a premium PP with the drive mode toggle.. Normal/Sport/Track/Wet-Snow.

Also, when checking the programming for what cells are listed... were they comparing the same model optioned cars? I wonder if depending on if you have a premium with the toggle vs not, if there would be more or less cells on a '15-17?

Sponsored

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
The drive modes should be the same for a manual..Correct? I have a premium PP with the drive mode toggle.. Normal/Sport/Track/Wet-Snow.

Also, when checking the programming for what cells are listed... were they comparing the same model optioned cars? I wonder if depending on if you have a premium with the toggle vs not, if there would be more or less cells on a '15-17?
15s all had the same number of cells regardless of trim. Both models compared in the previous post were preminum mustangs with drive modes.

Drive modes for a manual did not change as far as I know so you should be good there.

Link to a manual 2018 cluster with mycolor

http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/P...search=true&year=2018&make=Ford&model=Mustang

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks [MENTION=6944]zackmd1[/MENTION]

scoggy_doogan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
do we even know if the digital cluster is available for the stick?

EDIT: according to the Build & Price, yes... they are available together. I doubt the manual displays which gear you're in.
I would love for the dash to display the current gear for manuals. Do I need it, no, but it would be nice see.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Well my local dealer just recieved their first 2018 with the digital dash! Spent a few mins with it about an hr ago and have some impressions and observations!

First off, the cluster is cool! Lots of display styles and options to choose from but it was a bit hard to use at first.... Is it worth $1400? No.... But a decent used cluster will be a very nice addition to the 15-17s I think.

The other thing I took away from playing with the cluster is the fact that we will need the new buttons in the steering wheel. The cluster navigation functions quite a bit differently then the analog cluster (part of the reason why it was hard to use at first) so we will need both sets of arrow button clusters as well as the new pony logo (previously sync controls) cluster. Curse control appeared identical to the 15. We will also need the new cluster bezel but the good news is that it should if the 15 from what I saw.
Sponsored