2018 gauge cluster retrofit

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
So in order to get full functionality from the digital cluster, I'd have to do the Sync 3 swap as well? That'd be an expensive ordeal :(
Well the cluster does not require the drive modes to function. You will still be able to switch themes without sync 3 and the premium bezel but you will not be able to use drive modes without the sync 3 swap.
Sponsored

Xavier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Oh! That's totally fine with me, I have a manual and it wouldn't do much for me anyway. I just wanted to be able to switch the screen itself to track mode so I can get the big tachometer. Thank you for clarifying.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
[MENTION=6944]zackmd1[/MENTION]

You are THE Pioneer for such swaps into the S550 platform - great post so far (as well as the vid)!

I know you’re discussing the retro swap into a 2015-2017, but what’s your thoughts on this swap being more straightforward on a 2018 that was built w/o the digital cluster? The steering wheel w/Pony button is still a necessity for sure regardless of model year, right?

I agree with you on Fords pricing structure for those who want to opt for the cluster installed “as built”, ludicrous amount of $$$$... but these will start coming down in price as soon as they become more plentiful from parts cars and/or mass produced for over the counter Ford Parts purchases.

I wouldn’t doubt that Ford will make it a standard item going forward in 2019; it’s probably just a “feeler” right now to see how many vehicles are ordered with it based on consumer responses - and if true, that will drive costs down as well.

DanMc85

The Source
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Fusion Titanium AWD 2.0L
hmm I would like to get my hands one one of these... I'm sure I could program the hell out of that thing. I wonder if I could make it work in my car lol.

This physical cluster is the same cluster used in the new Lincoln Continental just with different software loaded on to it and a different clear lens.

I did a swap from a base Fusion cluster to a 2017 MKZ cluster with Mondeo (European Fusion) firmware in my 2014 Fusion.

Manually programmed the EEPROM, Firmware, As-Built Data to accommodate for changes, and mileage correction.

http://www.2gfusions.net/showthread.php?tid=5855

Sponsored

plc268

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Race Red
hmm I would like to get my hands one one of these... I'm sure I could program the hell out of that thing. I wonder if I could make it work in my car lol.
Lol, if anyone could get that to work in a fusion, it definitely would be you. :cheers:

We need to get you a mustang. :D:ford:

DanMc85

The Source
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Lol, if anyone could get that to work in a fusion, it definitely would be you. :cheers:

We need to get you a mustang. :D:ford:
Haha right... I would love one but not practical for me. I am actually thinking 2019 Lincoln MKC next go around or a Ranger/F150.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
[MENTION=6944]zackmd1[/MENTION]

You are THE Pioneer for such swaps into the S550 platform - great post so far (as well as the vid)!

I know you’re discussing the retro swap into a 2015-2017, but what’s your thoughts on this swap being more straightforward on a 2018 that was built w/o the digital cluster? The steering wheel w/Pony button is still a necessity for sure regardless of model year, right?

I agree with you on Fords pricing structure for those who want to opt for the cluster installed “as built”, ludicrous amount of $$$$... but these will start coming down in price as soon as they become more plentiful from parts cars and/or mass produced for over the counter Ford Parts purchases.

I wouldn’t doubt that Ford will make it a standard item going forward in 2019; it’s probably just a “feeler” right now to see how many vehicles are ordered with it based on consumer responses - and if true, that will drive costs down as well.
Thanks for the comments! I definitely can’t take all of the credit though since I’m usually not the first to actually do the swaps! It is nice when others prove or disprove my theories though!

As for the 2018s, I wouldn’t be surprised if this would be a direct plug and play swap for 2018s. Reason being, all of the subsystems that might be an issue in 15-17 cars (automatic and drive modes) are already present and unchanged in the 2018s. As long as you had the LCD cluster programmed for the mileage and the LCD gauge bezel then I think you would be set on a 2018!

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)

DanMc85

The Source
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Basically it is the new menu button for the 2018.
Is the button in the same spot? It is probably just a as-built programming change in the SCCM (might require a newer firmware flash also, if it doesn't know the programming change in the existing code). Those switches just work on resistance values.

Sponsored

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Is the button in the same spot? It is probably just a as-built programming change in the SCCM (might require a newer firmware flash also, if it doesn't know the programming change in the existing code). Those switches just work on resistance values.
The buttons look to be in the same spot physically but the button cluster is only $26 so it is not a expensive thing to replace.

DanMc85

The Source
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
The buttons look to be in the same spot physically but the button cluster is only $26 so it is not a expensive thing to replace.
With FORScan or on Ford's As-Built Website... compare on the SCCM: 724-03-01 see if they are the same on a 2018 with that cluster vs an 2018 without vs a 2015-2017. That first 4 digit set on that line controls the left and right steering wheel switches.

LFCRulesOK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT (Ruby Red)
Can you please post a link to this cluster? That area on my steering wheel has four buttons, voice command, answer call, hang up and mute. I can't see how the new cluster could replace mine without me losing functionality (unless the new cluster has five buttons?)

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Can you please post a link to this cluster? That area on my steering wheel has four buttons, voice command, answer call, hang up and mute. I can't see how the new cluster could replace mine without me losing functionality (unless the new cluster has five buttons?)
Looking at my car more tonight and the 2018 cluster has more physical buttons. The 2018 buttons can click left or right while the 2015 buttons only click right.

And it looks like Ford is still updating their 2018 parts list as the pony button cluster part number now references the cruise control cluster.... :shrug: Definitely did not say that before...!

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Someone with an Instagram account needs to contact Mr. Ray Butcher and get him on this site! Would be nice to see the progress in this thread and we might actually be able to contribute to the programming.
Sponsored