Sponsored

2018 gauge cluster retrofit

StangATX

Project Corrupted Cyclone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 S550 White Corrupted Cyclone
Someone with an Instagram account needs to contact Mr. Ray Butcher and get him on this site! Would be nice to see the progress in this thread and we might actually be able to contribute to the programming.
I just contacted him through IG and invited him to the forum. We'll see!
Sponsored

SoCalTim

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Sold : 15 GT
Hes already on the forum, username: DiEzel

p6cl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
My CAR is a 2016 Mustang GT Auto with Premium package. I have my LCD cluster coming in a couple days, shipping today, any idea how to get the switches to work? I cannot read the wiring as it is jiberish to me. I bought the three steering wheel switches as well and when I installed them the volume is on the left side and the right buttons still did the volume control. Think I need the new steering wheel as the wiring may be switched around in there. I tried the pony button and other buttons on the bottom right switch and they did what the old switch would do. I tried to program the SCCM module and it would not program due to compatibality error. I know when I upgraded my 2014 Explorer to the Sync 3 system the steering wheel bottons would not work until I changed the asbuilt codes to I think my old APIM codes. Its been awhile and I cannot remember. ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS FOR STEERING WHEEL CONTROLS PLEASE LET ME KNOW. Thanks Ray

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
My CAR is a 2016 Mustang GT Auto with Premium package. I have my LCD cluster coming in a couple days, shipping today, any idea how to get the switches to work? I cannot read the wiring as it is jiberish to me. I bought the three steering wheel switches as well and when I installed them the volume is on the left side and the right buttons still did the volume control. Think I need the new steering wheel as the wiring may be switched around in there. I tried the pony button and other buttons on the bottom right switch and they did what the old switch would do. I tried to program the SCCM module and it would not program due to compatibality error. I know when I upgraded my 2014 Explorer to the Sync 3 system the steering wheel bottons would not work until I changed the asbuilt codes to I think my old APIM codes. Its been awhile and I cannot remember. ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS FOR STEERING WHEEL CONTROLS PLEASE LET ME KNOW. Thanks Ray
I would wait tell your LCD cluster arrives. All you should need is the pony button cluster. It makes sense that the pony cluster does not do anything differently since you have no other system in the car looking for the additional button. Once the LCD cluster arrives I believe the pony button will function.

As for the volume controls, it is possible that the wiring was switched but all you would have to do is go in and switch the wiring in your OEM steering wheel as I believe the connectors are identical between right and left controls. But again, I would focus on just the pony button for now since I believe that is the only button change needed.

marjen

2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang Ecoboost premium
Would be cool if this can be made to work, though expensive. $1400 just for the cluster, did not look at how much other parts cost.

I have a 15 EB Premium, but was looking to upgrade to an 18 for 5 features. Sync3, digital cluster, heated steering wheel, magnaride and 10 speed auto. If 3-4 of these could be retrofitted for a few grand might be worth it. Cheaper than buying a whole new car.

Sponsored

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Would be cool if this can be made to work, though expensive. $1400 just for the cluster, did not look at how much other parts cost.

I have a 15 EB Premium, but was looking to upgrade to an 18 for 5 features. Sync3, digital cluster, heated steering wheel, magnaride and 10 speed auto. If 3-4 of these could be retrofitted for a few grand might be worth it. Cheaper than buying a whole new car.
Sync 3 has an entire thread devoted to the swap. Not difficult or very expensive! Under $1k for a complete OEM swap with the added benefit of drive modes if you modify some AS BUILT data. Digital cluster is still in the early stages but looks promising and could be done for $1k-1.5k once take out clusters become available. Have not personlly looked into the heated steering wheel but it should be as simple as getting the hardware (steering wheel, clockspring most likely) and then some programming changes to sync 3 to control it. Again also under $1k easy.

There is 3 right there for around $3-4k total! :thumbsup:

Magnaride could be done but would likely be far more involved requiring new body wiring harnesses and most likely a new BCM to accept the new programming and control of the suspension... Likely not worth the effort.

10 Speed auto is again in the early stages but looks to only require a 18 PCM and new underhood and engine harness. That would would likely run you $2-3k easy.

5pointOh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 Ingot Silver "Millennium Falcon" @falcon_s550
10 Speed auto is again in the early stages but looks to only require a 18 PCM and new underhood and engine harness. That would would likely run you $2-3k easy.
I'm pretty sure it will cost more than $2-3k to get a 10r80 and all of the stuff needed.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
I'm pretty sure it will cost more than $2-3k to get a 10r80 and all of the stuff needed.
My assumption on price is based off of used component pricing. A 17 GT PCM is about $150, harness about $200, and transmission about $1-2k depending on condition. Used 10r80s will start showing up soon for much cheaper then what Ford wants.

p6cl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Installed the LCD Cluster today in my 16 GT Premium. Pony buttons dont work as well as the sport mode and steering mode switches. Here are some pics. Does not go in opening without cutting plastic in back. Only bolts to the two bottom screws. New cluster has bolts that go on each side of the new cluster which the old ones do not have.

p6cl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Pics will not upload

Sponsored

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Pics will not upload
This site has cracked down on the image size and resolution so you have to resize your images or upload them on a 3rd party site and then link them in your post.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Installed the LCD Cluster today in my 16 GT Premium. Pony buttons dont work as well as the sport mode and steering mode switches. Here are some pics. Does not go in opening without cutting plastic in back. Only bolts to the two bottom screws. New cluster has bolts that go on each side of the new cluster which the old ones do not have.
Interesting... Try reprogramming your FCIM (lines 7A7-01-01 to 7A7-02-04) to that of a 2018. That might re-enable steering modes and drive modes.

As for the buttons, try a few different variations of the steering wheel control module programming. If that does not work then it might require a 2018 control module to get the additional buttons working.

marjen

2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang Ecoboost premium
I am assuming this will be a lot easier to try and fit in an 18 with a 301a or 400a?

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
I am assuming this will be a lot easier to try and fit in an 18 with a 301a or 400a?
Since all of the supporting systems are in place it would likely be a plug in replacement.
Sponsored