2018 gauge cluster retrofit

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
Conformation! Looks like there are a few programming issues to work out though and conformation that the new buttons will also be needed. Looks like alot of the lights that were on were because the car is currently being put back together.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bb0IX72jcLC/
Sponsored

z06psi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
The pot stirrer
Conformation! Looks like there are a few programming issues to work out though and conformation that the new buttons will also be needed. Looks like alot of the lights that were on were because the car is currently being put back together.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bb0IX72jcLC/
What a shitfest in the comments.

So they got it to work. Kind of. Maybe us manual guys will have an easier time.

This was really the only thing I liked about the 18s. If the 18s would have had a glass roof I might have bought one.

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette

This was really the only thing I liked about the 18s. If the 18s would have had a glass roof I might have bought one.
LOL you should see the people freaking out about the 350 cluster swap....

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)

Haha in reading through the crazy comments, it looks like this car is a manual and the cluster is programmed for an automatic. Yet another reason why so many lights were going off. So basiclly this video proves that no wiring modifications are needed and that we will at least need the pony button. We might be able to get by with our stock nav buttons though as it seems towards the end of the video he was using the buttons to navigate what screens he could get to without the pony button. When I messed around with the OEM cluster in a 2018, the pony button acted as the main menu button.

Sponsored

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Just checked Ford parts, the pony button cluster can be purchased separately and only costs $26! The gauge cluster trim is $260.

plc268

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Race Red
Haha in reading through the crazy comments, it looks like this car is a manual and the cluster is programmed for an automatic. Yet another reason why so many lights were going off. So basiclly this video proves that no wiring modifications are needed and that we will at least need the pony button. We might be able to get by with our stock nav buttons though as it seems towards the end of the video he was using the buttons to navigate what screens he could get to without the pony button. When I messed around with the OEM cluster in a 2018, the pony button acted as the main menu button.
It looks like the cluster even recognized it was on a 15-17 coyote, redline was displayed at 6500.

I wasn't optimistic before, but I am now. :ford:

Just checked Ford parts, the pony button cluster can be purchased separately and only costs $26! The gauge cluster trim is $260.
So all said and done, it's going to be roughly a $2k swap unless you can find a junkyard special cluster.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
It looks like the cluster even recognized it was on a 15-17 coyote, redline was displayed at 6500.

I wasn't optimistic before, but I am now. :ford:
Well most likely it was an ecoboost automatic cluster. I doubt redline information is stored in the PCM in a way that the gauge cluster can read.

So all said and done, it's going to be roughly a $2k swap unless you can find a junkyard special cluster.
Correct. Not worth it at that price IMO but a junkyard cluster around the $700 range with full swap cost under $1k might be.

LFCRulesOK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT (Ruby Red)
Correct. Not worth it at that price IMO but a junkyard cluster around the $700 range with full swap cost under $1k might be.
I dunno, I'd be willing to pay that much for a full kit. I'm hoping someone will produce a guide on how to do this and then I'll make the move.

LFCRulesOK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT (Ruby Red)
Do you have a link to these items please?

Also, aren't the buttons on 2018 on opposite sides to the 2015, i.e. audio controls are on the left and info display controls on the right? Would you not have to swap them as well?

Sponsored

Xavier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
I dunno, I'd be willing to pay that much for a full kit. I'm hoping someone will produce a guide on how to do this and then I'll make the move.
Likewise. I wonder if base model owners would need to add anything extra so that the drive modes will work. I'm down either way, though.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Do you have a link to these items please?

Also, aren't the buttons on 2018 on opposite sides to the 2015, i.e. audio controls are on the left and info display controls on the right? Would you not have to swap them as well?
2018 Buttons are on opposite sides but the pony button is in the sync controls cluster (bottom right cluster). It looks like the 15-17 arrows will control the cluster but the pony button is the menu button which is obviously missing from our cars. So I think we only need the pony button and can leave our arrow and media controls as they seem to work from the video.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Likewise. I wonder if base model owners would need to add anything extra so that the drive modes will work. I'm down either way, though.
To get drive modes working you need to do a sync 3 swap with the premium cluster and then modify some as built data in the cluster and ABS module. I activated them on my base V6.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
If someone wants to sponsor the cluster I would be more then willing to get the programming figured out and do a write up! :lol::D:cheers:

On a serious note, while I like the cluster, it is not worth $2k to me. It is bad to hope for but I hope these start popping up on ebay soon.

Xavier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
To get drive modes working you need to do a sync 3 swap with the premium cluster and then modify some as built data in the cluster and ABS module. I activated them on my base V6.
So in order to get full functionality from the digital cluster, I'd have to do the Sync 3 swap as well? That'd be an expensive ordeal :(
Sponsored