2018 Digital Cluster Installation Guide

Mootang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Thanks, right now the high beam issue is the only issue that I have. Still looking over things. Are you talking about the IPC?
Pm'ed
Sponsored

dawolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red mustang GT
Yes you can do the mileage. Iā€™ve installed two more sets of these with another on the way. Mileage has been no issue programming as long as the mileage on the cluster you buy is LOWER than the mileage you enter from your vehicle. Basically you can program mileage up but not down.
Hi Db252, has any of the digital clusters that you programmed been missing a oil pressure reading?

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
Hi Db252, has any of the digital clusters that you programmed been missing a oil pressure reading?
None of the clusters Iā€™ve installed have been missing an oil pressure gauge. None of them have an oil ā€˜temperatureā€™ gauge like my cluster though. I have another one to install this weekend and Iā€™ll be sure to check to see if it has a pressure gauge but Iā€™m pretty sure it will. Make sure all of your IPC asbuilt is correct.

300mag

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Prem Vert
None of the clusters Iā€™ve installed have been missing an oil pressure gauge. None of them have an oil ā€˜temperatureā€™ gauge like my cluster though. I have another one to install this weekend and Iā€™ll be sure to check to see if it has a pressure gauge but Iā€™m pretty sure it will. Make sure all of your IPC asbuilt is correct.
Have you installed any in NON-PP mustangs? my NON-PP doesn't have oil pressure and I was told its because the sensor isn't enabled from the factory(can only be enabled with tune, not through forscan). I was able to delete the non-working gauge from ipc through forscan.

Mootang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Been chatting with @dawolf on this and just looked at mines too. We both have the oil pressure gauge and you can see it:

47415717742_cfe9611c43_b.jpg

However, it doesn't actually show a reading like the other two gauges displayed next to it. I never bother to check since I have an aftermarket gauge. Now that its bought up, I see that its actually not reading even though you can view it. Been looking through the old threads and saw that this video shoes the oil pressure not working either:

Everything is up and running perfectly, damn, it was so much cool :cheers:
We have a base model non-PP car and from what I recall, the oil pressure on the old cluster was there to just indicate low or high oil pressure as a message only. There was no actual gauge with a numerical reading displayed. I believe that's why I went with an aftermarket gauge route to get a oil pressure reading. According to dawolf, he found some electrical diagram about the sensors we have in our models being different from PP models (I think), maybe he can elaborate on this. Anyways, just seeing if anyone else encounter this and found a solution to get the oil pressure reading correctly or we simply don't have it (maybe use a PP oil pressure sensor and reprogram it rewire some stuff)?

Sponsored

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
OK, currently Iā€™m learning this myself. It seems that all of my installs have been on PP cars. Cars that donā€™t have the factory oil pressure gauge only have one sensor that supplies to the idiot light. PP cars have two oil pressure sensors the other being for the gauge. You can add oil pressure gauge to the cluster on non-PP cars but it wonā€™t work; it will read as a dead gauge just like the pictures above.

dawolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red mustang GT
Been chatting with @dawolf on this and just looked at mines too. We both have the oil pressure gauge and you can see it:

Yes, I was looking at wiring diagrams for the 2016 PP car, my non PP car, wiring is the same but part numbers were different. With the 2018 cars, wiring configuration is the but the part number is different and from the drawings, seems to be installed differently into the block. I will post pics later on

However, it doesn't actually show a reading like the other two gauges displayed next to it. I never bother to check since I have an aftermarket gauge. Now that its bought up, I see that its actually not reading even though you can view it. Been looking through the old threads and saw that this video shoes the oil pressure not working either:

We have a base model non-PP car and from what I recall, the oil pressure on the old cluster was there to just indicate low or high oil pressure as a message only. There was no actual gauge with a numerical reading displayed. I believe that's why I went with an aftermarket gauge route to get a oil pressure reading. According to dawolf, he found some electrical diagram about the sensors we have in our models being different from PP models (I think), maybe he can elaborate on this. Anyways, just seeing if anyone else encounter this and found a solution to get the oil pressure reading correctly or we simply don't have it (maybe use a PP oil pressure sensor and reprogram it rewire some stuff)?

okfoz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 Roush Stage 3

Ford has been doing this since the 80's... I was talking to an engineer who worked at Ford who designed IP's. Back in the 80's they were getting a lot of complaints of low oil pressure, or high temp, so they set up the gages to read more like an idiot light. Once they did this the complaints stopped, and the unnecessary service calls were virtually eliminated. They actually stumbled upon it by accident with the then digital IP they were installing in the Cougar and Thunderbird, when they noticed that the service calls were down with those cars and that issue, they took notice and started to implement it with other models. That is if I remember his story correctly.

okfoz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 Roush Stage 3
I thought the Digital IP was supposed to have a Tone for the Yellow or Red light like a shift tone? I did not notice that in my 2016 when I took it for the maiden drive... Or do I have to turn it on? I thought I turned it on..

Valiant

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Val
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT in Eruption Green
Hi guys! Just installed a digital cluster today, but it only shows what gear the car is in, and doesnt show the tacho readout which should be in the spot where the gear shows.

Could someone help?

GT Auto

Thanks!

Sponsored

dawolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red mustang GT
Hi guys! Just installed a digital cluster today, but it only shows what gear the car is in, and doesnt show the tacho readout which should be in the spot where the gear shows.

Could someone help?

GT Auto

Thanks!
Does it show the tach at all or the tach has no reading? I had a problem with my tach not working. With the car running the needle stayed at zero.

okfoz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 Roush Stage 3

Could someone help?

GT Auto

Thanks!
From what I understand the Gear is used on Autos and the RPM is used for the Manual transmission. Honestly I would think the gear would be more helpful on the Manual, but that would require switches or sensors for each of the 7 gears... I am not sure, but you might be able to tell your IP your car has a Manual transmission and get the RPM and have it work... worth a shot...

okfoz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 Roush Stage 3
Rear Axle Temp, 2016 5.0PP Does it have the sensor or not?

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
Rear Axle Temp, 2016 5.0PP Does it have the sensor or not?
It does but youā€™re not going to get the digital gauge to read without a tuner implementing it. Lund programmed mine in with the rest of my tune.

okfoz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 Roush Stage 3
Ahh... I am still under warranty until next April 1, I might then tune it then... No biggie honestly.
Sponsored