Sponsored

2018 Active Exhaust Install Guide

Ecoboosted15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Perf pack A10
You'll just need to add pins to a PCM connector and run the wires to it. Then you'll enable it in as built data in the cluster and cross your fingers it works. If it doesn't you'll need a PCM from one with active exhaust or have someone figure out how to enable it with a tune.
You think they would spend the money on making 2 separate harnesses just for the active exhaust option? I wonder if they just made it already in the harness but obviously not activated by programming, but I would definitely have to check the harness to find out
Sponsored

BlownGP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
Pontiac, Ford, Dodge
Roush valance is cheap but I don't think these tips will fit in it.

Cutting the valance is super easy it just doesn't look great.
Well I need the one for the senors and it's $200 plus shipping.
Then don't you have to cut the bumper also with it?

svtsnake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT
Hello everyone, I am new to the forum and I just traded my 2016 GT in for a new 2018 with the active exhaust. I have been doing quite a bit of research on the system as I was curious how it operates. It looks like the system is designed to be truly 'active' instead of passive like that found on the GT350, so your wiring could be accounting for pulsewidth modulation which is how an active system would work reliably over a long period of time.

For any 2015-2017 guys want to nab the stock components and make them work in a similar fashoin to OEM, I don't see it being too difficult to run them based off of RPM using an Arduino as the controller. If you get to the point where you would like to go down that road I would be more than happy to help out.
Are you familiar with Arduino? I have ordered the mufflers from my local dealer. They should be here early next week. I plan to wire them to the factory ppm, and enable using for scan. What I would like to do is wire a switch and have the valves be RPM controlled @ 3000 RPM. What would I need to have an Arduino do this? How hard is the programming? I may also want to create a heads up shift light using one.

Ace21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1
Are you familiar with Arduino? I have ordered the mufflers from my local dealer. They should be here early next week. I plan to wire them to the factory ppm, and enable using for scan. What I would like to do is wire a switch and have the valves be RPM controlled @ 3000 RPM. What would I need to have an Arduino do this? How hard is the programming? I may also want to create a heads up shift light using one.
If you go that route because it is a 2018, the best method I'm would be to just tune the exhaust through the ECM/ECU, whatever Ford calls it .

You can tune each mode actually by RPMvsLOAD by the looks of it in HP tuners. I plan to make my sport mode half open and variable from that position, and my track mode by just open all the time.

I haven't had a chance to really dive into it, new baby just arrived , but any half decent tuner should be able to do whatever settings you would like, or I can post something when I get a chance.

OP
OP
breeves002

breeves002

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Ford calls it the PCM. Powertrain Control Module.

I would recommend just using factory programming. It seems to do a pretty good job. You can enable it in the cluster. IDK if you need different PCM programming though as no one has tried it yet.

You could make an arduino do the work but it will be A LOT of work.

Sponsored

Ace21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1
Gotcha, well in the PCM there are maps for the exhaust modes that allow the valves to be tuned to your liking. The system can also be made to be passive if you want in any or all modes. Ford really did give a great system with this option.

OP
OP
breeves002

breeves002

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Update.... I ordered a 2018 rear bumper and valance today. Unpainted from Ford of course. $650 for both from my dealer. I believe Mike @ white bear lake can get the bumper for $331.17 and valance for $263.68. However unless you're in the speedee delivery area shippings like $200... If you're in the speedee area its like $50. I just got it from my dealer so I don't have to worry about shipping. Got them to price match the $650 I'd have to pay with shipping anyways.

I may see if I can just cut up my 16 bumper and get the valance on there. Kind of like what you have to do to install the Roush valance. We'll see if thats viable or not. If it is that could be a fairly inexpensive way for people to fit this exhaust without having to either buy and paint an entire 18 bumper or just have a crappy looking cut valance.

TonyT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Do we know for sure that these will not fit with the Roush Valence? What is interesting is that a quad tip system (Corsa) made for a 15-17 will fit directly on a 2018 with no modifications and the tips line up. If the hangers and attachment points are the same and the tips line up in the cutouts, then would the same hold true for a 2018 quad tip to fit with a 15-17 with Roush valence?

OP
OP
breeves002

breeves002

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
We don't know for sure I still need to measure.

If the corsa system made for a 15-17 fits with the roush valance and on an 18 then I'd say the roush valance works for the 18 active exhaust...

evan546

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
2018 Mustang W/ Active Exhaust

What should be A cool project would be to take just the actuator with or without the tips and place them on any muffler so for example if I wanted a significantly cheaper active exhaust I would just buy the muffler and weld or clamp my 2018 tips with actuators and just plug and play!

Sponsored

svtsnake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT
I have the mufflers in my possession, I paid $188 ea. I did some investigating on my '18 GT. There is the connector shown in the pictures at the rear on the car, plugged into a blank to keep it clean.
The relay & fuse are also present in the relay center.
It looks like the only other thing I need is the harness that connects this 12 pin connector to the 2 4 pin connectors at the exhaust valves. Anyone know a way to figure out the part number from the diagram? It is labeled C3806, but I can't find anything using that. If I can't find it from Ford, or it is too expensive, I can make up the harness. I will do a full writeup on converting an '18 once I can get this harness.
Plug.jpg
Unplugged.jpg
Wiring Diagram.jpg

Last edited:

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
Bumping this one to see if anyone has figured out if this will fit with the Roush valence. I'm also considering using the GT350 valence, and simply cutting the tips off the mufflers (leaving the valve). Anyone tried that?

JR

evan546

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Bumping this one to see if anyone has figured out if this will fit with the Roush valence. I'm also considering using the GT350 valence, and simply cutting the tips off the mufflers (leaving the valve). Anyone tried that?

JR
I am very interested in just cutting of my active tips and welding them onto whatever exhaust I choose

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Any updates?

ponyv6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ozzy
Vehicle(s)
2019 301A PP1 Velocity Blue
I have the mufflers in my possession, I paid $188 ea. I did some investigating on my '18 GT. There is the connector shown in the pictures at the rear on the car, plugged into a blank to keep it clean.
The relay & fuse are also present in the relay center.
It looks like the only other thing I need is the harness that connects this 12 pin connector to the 2 4 pin connectors at the exhaust valves. Anyone know a way to figure out the part number from the diagram? It is labeled C3806, but I can't find anything using that. If I can't find it from Ford, or it is too expensive, I can make up the harness. I will do a full writeup on converting an '18 once I can get this harness.
were you able to do any progress? I am really excited about this. have the 18 with out the active.
Sponsored