Sponsored

2017 mustang gt pictures of factory paint defects.

Mr981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost coupe
Well I got a call back from the service manager today and all he could offer me was for the same body shop that did the crappy work (admitting to repairing the car) repaint the area. He said that they have alot of transit damaged vehicles or paint issues and that this body shop does alot of work for them and they have never had a problem like this before. I call bull shit. Im sure every car that gets repaired there probably has the same low end workmanship, it's just the average car buyer would never know. I don't know where to go with this now the conversation we had was short on my end as I didn't want to verbally accept any of that crap.
This sounds like pure BS; the dealership that tried to sell you a damaged product is trying to use the same shop that gave you a second rate repair job.

A couple of thoughts on how you might proceed:

-The dealership has shown you just how little they value you as a satisfied customer. They've lied to you--got caught-- and now they want you to go away. Start thinking about contacting a lawyer if Ford doesn't force them to do the right thing.

-If this car was damaged in transit--by the trucking company--why would the dealer be using the same slip shod shop that didn't fix it right in the first place? Makes me think this repair--for what ever reason--is on your dealer's ( or their insurance company) nickle so they are more concern with the cost vs. keeping you happy. I wonder if this car might have been damaged by their own personnel--and that the transit company is not involved at all--and that's why they aren't spending $ to fix it correctly

-As I mentioned in a earlier response, you need an opinion from another body shop with a good reputation regarding the cost to make this right and to confirm the extent of all the damage. It may cost you some $, but you'll have a professional opinion from another source rather taking the BS from the dealer a face value.
You may have to pay something for this opinion but IMHO--if you keep the car for a long time--it will be worth it. Along with that, I'm thinking this car needs a thorough inspection to make sure that all the damage has been fixed; you want to make sure there's nothing else besides some dented panels going on here given how the dealer has played a game with you.
Likewise, you'll get another opinion on what kind of repair you've got now and why they may have done it that way. If they went skinny on a fix to keep the $'s below some level that would have forced a disclosure, you have more knowledge of what you're dealing with.

-Ask for a copy of the repair invoice for this damage; I'd be curious how much the dealer has in on this repair.

-Try to get some reviews on line from people that have done business with this body shop in question.

-Have another conversation with your Ford contact on this subject and let him know where you're coming from. the regional customer service guy may be able to bring some pressure to bear on this dealer.

-Last, if you can't get the car replaced, have it fixed at a shop that you have some confidence in. At the very least, that would give you some peace of mind that a year or two down the road your repaired area would still be intact.

BTW, here's a link on what dealers have to disclose on a new car sale:
http://www.ncdoj.com/Consumer/Automobiles/Disclosing-Car-Damage.aspx

The reporting threshold is 5% of MSRP; on a $40K its $2k--not a lot of $ to get body work done.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

Ryano1416

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang gt
This sounds like pure BS; the dealership that tried to sell you a damaged product is trying to use the same shop that gave you a second rate repair job.

A couple of thoughts on how you might proceed:

-The dealership has shown you just how little they value you as a satisfied customer. They've lied to you--got caught-- and now they want you to go away. Start thinking about contacting a lawyer if Ford doesn't force them to do the right thing.

-If this car was damaged in transit--by the trucking company--why would the dealer be using the same slip shod shop that didn't fix it right in the first place? Makes me think this repair--for what ever reason--is on your dealer's ( or their insurance company) nickle so they are more concern with the cost vs. keeping you happy. I wonder if this car might have been damaged by their own personnel--and that the transit company is not involved at all--and that's why they aren't spending $ to fix it correctly

-As I mentioned in a earlier response, you need an opinion from another body shop with a good reputation regarding the cost to make this right and to confirm the extent of all the damage. It may cost you some $, but you'll have a professional opinion from another source rather taking the BS from the dealer a face value.
You may have to pay something for this opinion but IMHO--if you keep the car for a long time--it will be worth it. Along with that, I'm thinking this car needs a thorough inspection to make sure that all the damage has been fixed; you want to make sure there's nothing else besides some dented panels going on here given how the dealer has played a game with you.
Likewise, you'll get another opinion on what kind of repair you've got now and why they may have done it that way. If they went skinny on a fix to keep the $'s below some level that would have forced a disclosure, you have more knowledge of what you're dealing with.

-Ask for a copy of the repair invoice for this damage; I'd be curious how much the dealer has in on this repair.

-Try to get some reviews on line from people that have done business with this body shop in question.

-Have another conversation with your Ford contact on this subject and let him know where you're coming from. the regional customer service guy may be able to bring some pressure to bear on this dealer.

-Last, if you can't get the car replaced, have it fixed at a shop that you have some confidence in. At the very least, that would give you some peace of mind that a year or two down the road your repaired area would still be intact.
I have an appointment to get an estimate in the morning with one of the best body shops i could find in my area to see how much it will cost to be fixed right.

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, '22 Tesla Model 3, '22 F-150 Lightning
holy shit thats unreal!

Blaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black V6 Vert, manual, 051A, 3:55, no spoiler
Don't accept the dealer's proposal. The Dealer is making the auto body do the repair on their dime. The car will come back the same and they will consider the matter closed.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Do NOT accept another repair on that car at all... You're setting yourself up for more disappointment and overall aggregation.

F-that Dealership.

In fact, we want their name in this thread - because honestly, NO ONE should support that Dealer at all, not for repairs and definitely not for buying any new car from a bunch of dishonest folks.

You contact your Ford CSR and demand a replacement vehicle - otherwise if I were you, and as mentioned by others - you tell your CSR AND The Dealership you're getting an attorney - you were outright scammed!! That Dealership and the Management Team knew that vehicle had body damage and made NO mention of the vehicle having been repaired. It should have been disclosed to any potential buyer and they should have been transparent about it - but yet when you questioned them, they lied right to you and denied it having had previous body repairs. That's not an "oops we forgot to tell you", they always knew about the previous damage and PURPOSEFULLY did not tell any buyer about it. That Dealership is more interested in just the $$$, rather than their Customers.

You know what else I would do, post this concern and this thread link directly to all of the Ford Facebook pages and their other social media pages. Ford wants PR, then GIVE IT to them.

Seriously, don't back down and do not settle for any more body work to that vehicle at all. You paid for a BRAND NEW, UNBLEMISHED vehicle dude - thousands of dollars, it was not just some "oh well" $10 purchase!! WTF already.

Sponsored

Buenhombre

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium, Performance Pack, Ruby Red
CobraJet said it perfectly. Sorry you've had such a crappy experience. No one is putting you, the customer, first. I hope you get the chance to enjoy your car. Beautiful color choice.

RubyRedVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible
Do NOT accept another repair on that car at all... You're setting yourself up for more disappointment and overall aggregation.

F-that Dealership.

In fact, we want their name in this thread - because honestly, NO ONE should support that Dealer at all, not for repairs and definitely not for buying any new car from a bunch of dishonest folks.

You contact your Ford CSR and demand a replacement vehicle - otherwise if I were you, and as mentioned by others - you tell your CSR AND The Dealership you're getting an attorney - you were outright scammed!! That Dealership and the Management Team knew that vehicle had body damage and made NO mention of the vehicle having been repaired. It should have been disclosed to any potential buyer and they should have been transparent about it - but yet when you questioned them, they lied right to you and denied it having had previous body repairs. That's not an "oops we forgot to tell you", they always knew about the previous damage and PURPOSEFULLY did not tell any buyer about it. That Dealership is more interested in just the $$$, rather than their Customers.

You know what else I would do, post this concern and this thread link directly to all of the Ford Facebook pages and their other social media pages. Ford wants PR, then GIVE IT to them.

Seriously, don't back down and do not settle for any more body work to that vehicle at all. You paid for a BRAND NEW, UNBLEMISHED vehicle dude - thousands of dollars, it was not just some "oh well" $10 purchase!! WTF already.
The CSR was very helpful and answered a lot of questions when I went down this path. However, the CSR does not have the authority to offer a buy back or replacement vehicle. There are laws and Ford has a specific process and department for buy backs. The dealer will definitely not buy the car back. There are only 2 options: have it repaired and live with it, or start the process with the BBB for a buyback or replacement. Also note that it will cost some money even if the BBB arbitrator awards in your favor for a replacement/buyback. The law states that the customer must pay for the mileage that's on the vehicle. Sucks I know, and I've been there. But it's really the only two options.

mike15gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Did you pay MSRP for the car? Or was it priced lower to begin with?
Also, you may have to have the dealer do the repair with the shop of their choosing. It's unfortunate but at the end of the day, if you paid sticker price you were buying a new car and the repair should be equal to brand new quality.

I would get the dealer to do the repair but have a letter drafted that they have to sign saying it will be returned in like new condition, with pictures taken during the repair from the body shop, and a full disclosure on what the initial damage was that caused this crappy repair.
But like some guys have said above, try to get in touch with the general manager or owner of the dealership and let them know what you're going through. Don't make threats or they will just push you off.

That's what I would be doing if I were in your shoes.
I had a paint issue with mine but it was a factory flaw and my dealer had no issue with claiming it under warranty and having it repaired. Looked brand new when it was returned.

sphinx

Mr. Whipple
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
67 Mustang GT Fastback
repair

Depreciation is a key factor with damage repair. One cannot speculate if said repair will start to pop or show
over time due to workmanship and materials used, beyond what is easily seen on the surface in your photos.

Being that those are photos of your vehicle when you first picked it up after purchasing the PPGT, and if
I missed the comment previously, I will hazard a guess and say that is not a GT rear bumper/diffuser.

Did you fill out the Ford Customer Satisfaction Survey? The survey and the marking of
all its fields with high scores is critical and weighs against new car allocation for that dealer.

Unethical sales practices must be countered with your relentless pursuit to have this resolved
by you in the same manner that the dealer chose to conceal the evil lurking under the paint.

If there was any area of bare metal exposed to moisture when the bodywork was being done,
long enough to allow it to start the process of rusting be it ever so slight, that will be one of the
contributing factors to the undoing of the body and paint work as it will start to bubble up.
You may not see it for a year or two but at some point, it will rear its ugly head.

Do not settle. BBB and if needed, as Cobra Jet suggested, legal counsel.

The dealership model is broken.

Sponsored

RobD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Mustang GT
I feel for ya OP, I would be pissed beyond belief. The defective repair you have is the result of a hurry up job. Primer and body work needs time to shrink after is has been worked then sanded, primed and reblocked. Body shops that are in a hurry don't spend the extra time, most people don't notice this kind of imperfection, so why bother. Good luck with a correct repair.

OP
OP

Ryano1416

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang gt
I have decided to let the dealership pay for the repair at a shop of my choice. I found the best repair shop I could in my area. Not a high volume repair shop, they do some work for the local BMW, Mercedes Benz, Lexus, Audi dealerships, and are known for doing great paint matching and add on stuff like chin spoilers, rear spoilers, aero kits, and whatever else on alot of BMW's. I took a tour of the place and the owner is top notch and really has an eye for perfection. The shop was very clean and organized and the staff was very knowledgeable and polite. The estimator saw the defects as soon as she walked up to the car and knew exactly what had to be done. I have faith these guys will do a great job and fix it right.

At this point I just want my car back, I want to drive it and just enjoy it. This whole thing has me burnt out. Other than This paint fiasco the car is really solid and with fords questionable quality control on these cars I dont even know If getting another one and having the possibility of something else even worse being wrong with the car at this point is even worth it to me. I think Im better off taking the road im on. I will keep everyone posted on the repair and post after pictures

Mr981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost coupe
I have decided to let the dealership pay for the repair at a shop of my choice. I found the best repair shop I could in my area. Not a high volume repair shop, they do some work for the local BMW, Mercedes Benz, Lexus, Audi dealerships, and are known for doing great paint matching and add on stuff like chin spoilers, rear spoilers, aero kits, and whatever else on alot of BMW's. I took a tour of the place and the owner is top notch and really has an eye for perfection. The shop was very clean and organized and the staff was very knowledgeable and polite. The estimator saw the defects as soon as she walked up to the car and knew exactly what had to be done. I have faith these guys will do a great job and fix it right.

At this point I just want my car back, I want to drive it and just enjoy it. This whole thing has me burnt out. Other than This paint fiasco the car is really solid and with fords questionable quality control on these cars I dont even know If getting another one and having the possibility of something else even worse being wrong with the car at this point is even worth it to me. I think Im better off taking the road im on. I will keep everyone posted on the repair and post after pictures
If your paint shop can recreate that new car finish and get it matched properly--and you're confident there's no unresolved issues with the car caused by the paint damage, then I completely understand where you're coming from. fighting with a dealer over a new car that you like driving is time consuming and incredibly frustrating.
I hope this works out in the best possible way for you.

As a suggestion, after you get the car back and are good with it's condition--find another dealer; these guys have demonstrated they can't be trusted and life is too short to deal with people you don't trust.

Southview

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Herby
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Convertible
Only bad thing is, once your shop of choice touches the repair job, you have no recourse. Ford will make that shop liable since you choose them. Any future problems will be on them since they are completing the repairs to achieve a satisfactory level. Be careful. This process needs to be documented to the highest extent with pictures and any paperwork you can get from the dealer stating the cause of the problem
Maybe start texting so you have documentation of the conversation that the car was damaged in the first place and not disclosed. Have the shop check for corrosion where the quarter panel was welded and check your door/trunk seams for correct application of paint and seam sealer.
I have been in the collision repair business for over 25 years and owned a very reputable high end shop.
Good luck.

Dave2017GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1
Mine has plenty of paint defects such as drip, bubbles etc... but none compare to how bad yours are. Sorry bud. I financed my car for 4 years. I dont plan on keeping it more than 5 years with so many issues. TBH this is my first Mustang and first Ford and im still really nervous about all these issues everywhere and reading this forum doesnt help. My Civic never once had a mechanical issue in 11 years but Honda did repaint the whole car (due to eggshell cracking) after i talked to a regional manager. IMO it looks like your car was either wrecked or damaged somehow and somebody did a very bad cover up job.
Sponsored